Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What’s with all these dudes wanting to rub off on other naked dudes.

****ing weird.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
nerds GIF

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
About every football team from high school through college has some sort of ”team building” culture that ranges from a rite of passage to the ridiculous, as described in the article. I coached 17 years at 3 different programs and there was nothing remotely close to what was reported at NU, but I’m aware of programs that routinely allow things to go well beyond team-building. The first thing I learned was that our players, whether at practice, games, or other team events, were always supervised by the coaching staff. It was also understood that we were to keep an eye out during the school day. As such, I’ve never had to deal with any hazing events as a coach. About as wild as it ever got was all the freshmen shaved their heads at fall camp and a tradition upheld was that the freshmen loaded and unloaded the gear for away games and helped clean up the field at home.

As an administrator I dealt with a couple of hazing events. One was particularly serious and involved a Senior brawling with a freshman, the result of the players being unsupervised. I changed that immediately despite the HC’s plea that it was important part of team-building. The result was no more fights (or things getting broken or torn up) and the Coach resigned immediately at the end of the season. The second was as an AD and involved two Seniors constantly cursing, belittling, and putting hands on a freshman in Baseball Conditioning who was struggling to keep up. Lack of supervision was again the culprit. The coach was an old friend and kind of bucked up when I went to see him about it, but I was able to convince him to get a better handle on the situation and things were better. Incidentally, the freshman led the team in hitting as a junior this past season. Bottom line, kids are like livestock and will stay in the pasture as long as the rancher is taking care of and watching after them. Without that, they’ll find a hole in the fence or make one and then go out and get into trouble. Supervision and expectations are the key as far as I’m concerned.

Developing leaders is important in any team structure and should be a year by year building process with each Senior class providing the majority. However, leadership must be both developed by meeting expectations and earned by consistently displaying it. Giving it just because a player is good or popular usually doesn’t cut it. Leaders who can’t control themselves behaviorally or lead by example or lack self-discipline seem to be the ones who get behind the abusive crap you hear about and often delight in brutalizing the younger players. Poor self esteem can be a factor. A coach who allows these extremes does more to harm the players and the sport than any good he’ll ever do. Northwestern has a mess to clean up. I hope they do it and that it also causes a greater look into programs who likewise allow things to get out of hand.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Fitzgerald is toast. NW might be able to fire him for cause.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Hazing was common when I played football and wrestled back in High School.
You screw up in practice, You stay after practice and run hills. We practiced in sort of a valley, surrounded on one side by these high steep grass hills about 200 yards high. You would basically had to monkey crawl up and then slide back down....Hazing in wrestling was a little different. All the freshmen were basically attacked at some point before the coaches arrived, Held down and given "Pink Bellies". To me, that's all within good team building and comradery. The fear building up before that damned pink belly was enormous for me but damn, I've never felt a part of a team like that since. Still, When my turn came around the next three years for the pink bellies, I was a bit apprehensive but still wanted the Freshmen to be a part of an actual...Team.

Nothing like that stuff described in the article though.

I just wonder, How the hell these guys, Athletes, just let this stuff happen?? I mean, There is no way in hell I would put up with that sort of thing without throwing a few punches.

I see they suspend Fitzgerald. But, as this unfolds, I don't think he can survive this. Who the hell thinks naked guys rubbing on each other or a QB/Center exchange while naked has anything to do with team building????

Is there ANY part of our society now that's NOT hyper sexualized???

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I feel a little guilty, cause I laughed at the naked qb center exchange:lol:. I think I'd opt fro the dry humping in a dark locker in that scenario

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If I told you the schit my fraternity did to our pledges back in the 80s, the cops would show up at my door and execute me on the spot.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Due Process for 10, Pat......

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays