Florida’s overall talent: Bad as we think?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously, it wasn’t enough to beat Kentucky at home. Just because YOU think it is, doesn’t make it true. This roster is crap at way too many positions. We’re loaded at a couple (WR, RB) but that’s easily negated by the others (OL, QB).
I’m not saying that was a stellar coaching performance, but it’s hard to make a top shelf cocktail out of rot gut whiskey.

He's 1-2 vs Kentucky in over the last three years. I think that's pathetic. What do you think about going 1-2 against UK?

Oh pray tell!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Do you think Texas A&M was't selling Jimbo as an elite head coach or FSU wasn't selling Urkel Taggert as elite by what they bought him at?
ATM was surely selling Dumbo and they basically told the world Natty or else. The nulls and us aren’t pimping either of their hires as Top anything.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
He's 1-2 vs Kentucky in over the last three years. I think that's pathetic. What do you think about going 1-2 against UK?

Oh pray tell!
I think it sucks, but I can understand this loss. I give no fcks about what losses he incurred at cowbell.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATM was surely selling Dumbo and they basically told the world Natty or else. The nulls and us aren’t pimping either of their hires as Top anything.

Then we shouldn't be paying them as such, once you add the very public paycheck. There is the expectations as such. As I said earlier in the thread, Kentucky is a bad loss and you only get so many of those in the first three years. If we are struggling to get 10 wins and actually compete for SEC Championships (not just show up in the game) that paycheck and the bad losses are going to be judged against who else is making that cash.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Then we shouldn't be paying them as such, once you add the very public paycheck. There is the expectations as such. As I said earlier in the thread, Kentucky is a bad loss and you only get so many of those in the first three years. If we are struggling to get 10 wins and actually compete for SEC Championships (not just show up in the game) that paycheck and the bad losses are going to be judged against who else is making that cash.
You pay what the market calls for. Had we not, the Voles would’ve hired him and we’d be paying Fedora or some other mid level guy $6M. How hard is that for you to comprehend? Short of Meyer, Saban or Dabo there simply aren’t any sure fire coaches out there.
You’re doing what you accuse others of by changing the argument. You stated the administration is selling him as a Top 10 coach and that’s simply not true.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You pay what the market calls for. Had we not, the Voles would’ve hired him and we’d be paying Fedora or some other mid level guy $6M. How hard is that for you to comprehend? Short of Meyer, Saban or Dabo there simply aren’t any sure fire coaches out there.
You’re doing what you accuse others of by changing the argument. You stated the administration is selling him as a Top 10 coach and that’s simply not true.

Actually it isn't... you assume that we were going to pay anyone $6 million a year by this rationale. We were not getting Meyer, Saban, or Dabo. Meyer ($6.5), Dabo (8.5) and Saban ($11). Once you get a coach a top 6 salary, you are selling them as top 6. Harbaugh being sold as top 6 ($7) and they are grossly over paying.

What mid level guy is making 6 a year? You are judged by the market of your profession, and the coaching market is very transparent pay wise. Chip Kelly is making less than 6 (Max years are $4.6) from UCLA (also offset by 49ers contract), Frost is making $5, David Shaw $5.6, Taggart ($5).. Before you say it isn't about money, it's always about money in any profession.

Once you are paid $6 per year, you have a different expectation. When you are the 6th highest paid coach in the nation, it comes with expectations. The UAA knows once that number is out there, regardless if you want to believe it or not, they know they are selling him as one of the premier coaches in the nation.

“At this place, given the recent history, we felt like it was really important that we get as close to a sure thing as possible,” Stricklin said. “There are no sure things, but I thought we had an opportunity with Dan to get as close to a sure things as possible.”
“I strongly believe Dan is the most prepared candidate to have immediate and long-term success at the University of Florida,” Stricklin said. “Coach Mullen is one of the best offensive minds in all of college football, and has an unbelievable track record in tutoring successful quarterbacks (such as Alex Smith, Chris Leak, Tim Tebow, Dak Prescott and Nick Fitzgerald).

Edit from previous though process, double checked the numbers, Mullen is the 6th highest paid coach in the Nation.

Last edited:

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Im wearing a Fedora right now, in support. And don't forget Brohm. Or hire one of the hundreds of effective OCs around CFB and NFL.

Actually I said interim and wait til next year when someone decent is available, since we werent able to land our top choices with our 3.5-4 mil offers.

Yet none of those fvkkers get paid 100k less than Urban Leyer, and have lost twice to Kintucky in two years.
When we struck out on Frost, this was exactly what we needed to do, but seems like SS was set on completing the MS(p)Usification of UF. Now short of a miracle, we're stuck with our 3rd failed coach in a row with yet another search in 3 years.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I have no idea what you are talking about. We didn't have to pay 6 million to hire a coach, we paid 6 for Mullen and Sticklin said in his own words that because we expect to win championships.

“That’s what Dan does. He is not afraid to be aspirational,” Stricklin said. “There are leaders who are afraid to put themselves out there because if you put a high bar and don’t reach it you’re worried about being criticized. Dan, his confidence is at such a level, he knows the expectations are going to be to win championships — so don’t hide from it, talk about it. He’s going to be judged, all of our coaches here are judged based on their ability to win at that level.”

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is our definition of success different than Strickland’s?
He seemed to be smiling a lot after the UK game.

We will see what he looks like on Sat night.

1-8 will cause some problems for his longevity.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Where we've been remiss in our GCMB Selection Committee is in not attending to the CEO end of the HC qualification. Me judging from all these posts, I believe Gator Chatterites are ready to accept this next HC/CEO =
Oprah .... "There's a 4* under your seat. There's a 4* under your seat. There's a 4* under everybody's seat."

Mullen is competing in the SEC East now. He certainly will improve on our Gators' wins as well ias mprove his own HC abilities -- he's got nowhere else to go. His back's against the wall = like ours are. There is inadequate data with highly overcharged emotional gainsaying toward Mullen.

MullenCrew will improve the OL. Even 10% OL improvement.will allow Franks + WRs-TEs to improve more than 10% because they have exceptional talent. Gotta give it time to cook. Even give it time to see how good UK is.?

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I think it sucks, but I can understand this loss. I give no fcks about what losses he incurred at cowbell.

Ok. But when we start "understanding" losses to UK I think it means our bar has been lowered beyond fixing. Battered Gator Fan Syndrome?

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Dan Mullen is not a top 10 coach worth $6M a year. Stricklin panicked and overpaid for an average coach and subpar recruiter. Just like he screwed up giving Mac an extension

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Where we've been remiss in our GCMB Selection Committee is in not attending to the CEO end of the HC qualification. Me judging from all these posts, I believe Gator Chatterites are ready to accept this next HC/CEO =
Oprah .... "There's a 4* under your seat. There's a 4* under your seat. There's a 4* under everybody's seat."

Mullen is competing in the SEC East now. He certainly will improve on our Gators' wins as well ias mprove his own HC abilities -- he's got nowhere else to go. His back's against the wall = like ours are. There is inadequate data with highly overcharged emotional gainsaying toward Mullen.

MullenCrew will improve the OL. Even 10% OL improvement.will allow Franks + WRs-TEs to improve more than 10% because they have exceptional talent. Gotta give it time to cook. Even give it time to see how good UK is.?
Maybe Oprah can be recruiting coordinator? Or Head Coach in Name onLy? Does she have a Nike contract? Do today's kids even know who the fvvk O is?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Ok. But when we start "understanding" losses to UK I think it means our bar has been lowered beyond fixing. Battered Gator Fan Syndrome?
I think that syndrome is where a lot of Gator fans are right now. Agreed that it stinks to even have to think about rationalizing our misfortunes, but the shoe fits, unfortunately, in the landscape where we currently reside. Regardless of how good, bad, or otherwise Mullen is as a HBC, the roster has an impact. We can't hide from it. Yes, there are some improvements that can be made, but how soon and how deep is debatable. What's really funny to me is the hell raising about what he's being paid. I only wish I had an agent that could get me a contract like his and a multitude of the college coaches today. But can you imagine the outrage if he was paid only 1.2 mil and we were having the same successes (or lack thereof)? The only cure is winning and really, winning big. Don't see it on the horizon just yet.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Moved from the recruiting thread:

We will see how well he has recruited and coached when his recruits/former players line up against us in couple of weeks.

Wait, now I'm confused. Mullen is coaching MSU in that game? Or you meant we measure the quality of his coaching not on the performance of the team he's actually coaching, but for some reason the performance of the team he used to coach, even though they have a new staff?

Watch out for Kylin Hill, sophomore RB who has made Aeris Williams sit on the bench. Aeris Williams had 1107 yds rushing last year.
See, that's called coaching. Meanwhile Mullen will keep giving Scarlett the majority of the limited carries the RB's have been getting.

The fact that MSU looks better on offense and defense without Mullenz and Grantham is either lost on most of you,or you actually try to spin it into a positive for Mullen.

It's pretty sad really. Not only are they not missing a beat, it looks like Dumping Mull-Ham is the best thing that ever happened to MSU.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Oprah can be recruiting coordinator? Or Head Coach in Name onLy? Does she have a Nike contract? Do today's kids even know who the fvvk O is?

I got a personal story connected to Oprah. Had a wealthy Swiss brother-in-law (Jerg Marquard) who built an extra house on Star Island, Biscayne Bay. (there was a 3 yacth-slot dock made entirely of teak-wood) So for that house, Jerg employed a husband-wife duo as butler & cook. I'd insist that she have tea & talk in the morn, when rich people aren't awake. Turns out her prior employer was Oprah. This cook of sophisticated European cuisine, described how Oprah gave her "hands-on" lessons at cooking soul food. That's what Oprah best like to eat.

FYI > The Biscayne "mansion" Jerg bought at a distress-type sale, well the prior banker owner was in Federal prison for embezzling millions. Jerg flew in his Swiss architect. He insisted "tear it down". Cost Jerg $125,000 to demolish it. When Jerg put it up for sale, Will Smith came to look at it. I forget the Arab country that bought it for official functions, just sold for $10 million.

Jerg had a grand open house. To dinner he had all these Key Biscayne multi-millionaire big-wheels. We were enjoying dinner served on the patio on Jerg's self-designed glass table. One after another, they complemented Jerg on all his great designs. Silent but feeling pop-off pressure building, I threw my head back at the night sky and said "And I just love what you've done with those stars."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator