Florida Fall Camp Preview

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
This has probably been said, but I'm reserving judgement on the RBs--specifically Taylor--simply because of the Oline and "offensive" transitions. Hopefully we will develop a competent line and see what Kelvin can really do before he leaves next year.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
MissouriGator;n250844 said:
see what Kelvin can really do before he leaves next year.
He would probably be my favorite player on the team because he's all Gator, however unless he's put on 10-15 pounds, is 2 tenth's faster in the 40 and learned proper pass protection blocking he would do himself a favor and stay for another year of being coached by an offensive minded coach IMO.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n250802 said:
If this is coming from a pay site, then they need to fire all their writers and start over.

There's not one bit of insider information in that entire piece.

I actually read that article a couple of weeks ago when I was in Pensacola visiting my parents. I didn't look at the cover too closely but it was some kind of SEC preview magazine that had articles like that on every team.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Alagator;n250853 said:
I actually read that article a couple of weeks ago when I was in Pensacola visiting my parents. I didn't look at the cover too closely but it was some kind of SEC preview magazine that had articles like that on every team.

In other words it is a computer generated "model" that will be spilled out as useless drivel by every sports publication/website looking to do a fall practice report on UF.....

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n250841 said:
He is a beast vs the run though.

The hit he put derrick Henry was just nasty last year. I know it was a blow out but idk how the hell that was left out of the highlights

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Law98gator;n250841 said:
Harris is just plain too slow to play safety in the SEC. The name for guys who are too slow to play safety is LB. And he's already at least as big as Jeremi Powell.

Neal really isn't too slow, he just has poor instincts coverage. Perhaps he was just taught poorly and too aggressive in run support. It seemed like he bought every play fake he ever saw. He is a beast vs the run though.

More than anything, I think that was a result of playing too tight(like the rest of the team over the past 4 years). Between the "3 year old" rampage happening along the sidelines and the close score or deficit in virtually every contest, the defense rarely ever played with any flow or trusted its instincts. Aside from a few ultra talented guys like VH3, Elam, Easley and Floyd, the team has routinely seemed to play tight, bite on fakes, etc. To me, that's a confidence issue that will hopefully improve under the new staff.

Ftr, I don't think KN was bad at safety. I just wonder if his frame and run stop ability might be better used at LB given how thin we are. And I agree on Harris.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just figured that Poole and Neal were the starters. If anyone gets flipped to linebacker it would be Harris. And then Quincy Wilson would be nickel. Although Duke Dawson could very well be starting at one of the safety positions. Even CB. He has out played Tabor multiple times.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Durty South Swamp;n250885 said:
Cowboy outplayed tabor?:faint:

Get your mind out of the PF.......This is serious stuff.....football is only a little over 1000 hours away :drunk:

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n250850 said:
He would probably be my favorite player on the team because he's all Gator, however unless he's put on 10-15 pounds, is 2 tenth's faster in the 40 and learned proper pass protection blocking he would do himself a favor and stay for another year of being coached by an offensive minded coach IMO.

I meant next year; he is a junior this year. And I agree, he will be doing himself a favor.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
"Personnel-wise, Florida is as talented as any team in the country"

I guess according to these writers Muschamp was right when he said he left us loaded with talent. :lol:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n251758 said:
"Personnel-wise, Florida is as talented as any team in the country"

FIFY = I guess according to these writers Muschamp was right when he said he left us loaded with talent that often
blocked themselves. :lol:

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n250699 said:
In two years all it has been is flashes though. He gets caught at the line of scrimmage or behind it too many times (even when the hole is obviously there). Get tackled by the first hit. He dances in the hole too much, which I hope is a byproduct of poor coaching or changes in the offense last year. He was good when no one had tape on him as a Freshman, Now every SEC team has tape on him to see his tendencies. This will be a make or break year for him. He doesn't have elite speed, he has decent vision, good acceleration, and isn't special when it comes to size/strength. When the holes were wide open and the other team opened up the red sea (Georgia last year) he has athletic talent that shines. When a defense wants to defend the run, so far he hasn't been better than just good. A good back doesn't hack it in the SEC, there are plenty of good backs. As far as High School Hype, John Brantley was very hyped out of High School, Driskel was, hype of out high school when your the son of Fred Taylor playing the same position, is just hype.

I could be wrong here and I don't have the time to look it up since I am on my phone. I seem to recall that the hype that Taylor received was warranted. Seeing as how he was only breaking most of the rushing records for the state of Florida.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Delg8tor;n251926 said:
I could be wrong here and I don't have the time to look it up since I am on my phone. I seem to recall that the hype that Taylor received was warranted. Seeing as how he was only breaking most of the rushing records for the state of Florida.

No one is saying he is overhyped per high school production. But that is high school production. High School is not College, just like College isn't the NFL.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n252219 said:
No one is saying he is overhyped per high school production. But that is high school production. High School is not College, just like College isn't the NFL.

The last sentence of your previous post implies that the hype was because he is Fred Taylor's son. Not because he was a great RB and broke a bunch of Florida state records.
I understand that he hasn't been impressive overall, having only flashes of greatness. I get the impression he is the type of back who gets better and stronger the more he plays each game. So, take Matt Jones out of the equation and he should be able to do what needs to be done.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;252219 said:
I'm not sure the various systems we used over the last few years was conducive to highlighting a RB or any other offensive position. Also, the o-line was primarily made up of guys recruited to play a different style offense than the power and pro-style that McElwain runs. Just my opinion.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n253088 said:
I'm not sure the various systems we used over the last few years was conducive to highlighting a RB or any other offensive position. Also, the o-line was primarily made up of guys recruited to play a different style offense than the power and pro-style that McElwain runs. Just my opinion.

I would put it on the offensive like if he was hitting the hole and making adequate decisions. But when he is dancing the hole, and being indecisive (which I did say I hope is due to poor coaching) then I can't blame just the line. Especially when the other back when they have roughly the same amount of carries in games has a high ypc and is making quick decisions in the hole to gain yards. The line hurt all the skill positions, so if other people of the same position are playing better. Than it's not just the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.