Votes: 54 42.2%
  • Hiring Jim McElwain

Votes: 74 57.8%

• Total voters

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Nembhard looks amazing in the National Title game. Hitting 3pters, driving, dishing, making plays, on ball defense, off ball defense, rebounding....this is basically a college game with the talent on both teams. Best player on the floor may be Scottie Barnes who we are recruiting hard.....and he is a sophmore!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Nembhard looks amazing in the National Title game. Hitting 3pters, driving, dishing, making plays, on ball defense, off ball defense, rebounding....this is basically a college game with the talent on both teams. Best player on the floor may be Scottie Barnes who we are recruiting hard.....and he is a sophmore!

The level of play is high school. It is not even in the same zip code as a college game in terms of intensity and level of play and coaching.

That said, there are many players out there with potential to be good. My view is that Nembhard and K. Johnson were ok yesterday after good opening round games. Nembhard is ok again today and certainly very good in his passing which bodes well for him being a PG.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
The level of play is high school. It is not even in the same zip code as a college game in terms of intensity and level of play and coaching.

That said, there are many players out there with potential to be good. My view is that Nembhard and K. Johnson were ok yesterday after good opening round games. Nembhard is ok again today and certainly very good in his passing which bodes well for him being a PG.
He has multiple steals. Great on ball defense and challenging shots. Almost 15 assists, a couple 3pters and is running that team. There are probably 15 top 50 players in the game including the #1 player in 3 classes...the best of which I think is a Sophmore....more talent in this game then in the final 4. Teams are playing hard and defending like crazy. High school in general I agree...but this game is on a different level

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
...more talent in this game then in the final 4.

As Bill James has said, it depends on what you think talent is. There are several dimensions of talent. One talent is jumping ability. Another talent is decision making ability. The jumping ability might have been better in that high school game, but the decision making ability was not in the same area code. That is probably why the teams with the talent level you focused on, ie Duke, UK etc were gone in this tourney and other talents like decision making, discipline etc rose to the fore.

Or as I said, I think about Janoris Jenkins he did not have the talent to play at UF. Clearly the same can be said about Callaway, he unfortunately did not have the talent to play for UF.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So high school basketball is so radically different than college i.e. the rim circumference is so bigger in h.s., the contact rules are abandoned, the floor is so much more bounce-friendly. Thus no co-relation between h.s. basketball and the college game. What's any recruiter to do ? Chaos !

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I really like what i seen from Johnson and nembhard myself. I think it'll be quite an adjustment for nembhard because they don't ask him to attack down hill off of ball screens very often and thats what he's gonna be asked to do just about every time down the court with us. He's got really good court vision ,a smooth stroke and always seems to be under control. Hard to imagine him not starting for us next year.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Here is an excerpt of another article on UF basketball recruiting:

Russ Wood said:
As things stand today, Florida has three spots available in its 2019 recruiting class and has offered more than 30 prospects. Fourteen of them in the top-25. Today we breakdown prospects we are hearing the Gators are in good shape with.

Hit the link to read the whole article:

https://florida.rivals.com/news/gators-hoops-recruiting-outlook-for-2019

BTW, is Trey Mann 6'1" tall or 6'4" tall or neither?

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
How could somebody watch this tournament and come to the conclusion that nembhard is a below average shooter? Idk what his percentages were but he was very comfortable shooting the 3 and they ran plenty of sets to get him some shots from the 3pt line.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sporting News has 6 SEC teams in early 2018-19 Top 25 (UF #16):

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...news-early-college-basketball-top-25-2018-19/

Here is a list of the SEC teams on his early radar as well as some of his thoughts on why each program is poised to do big things next season:

#3 Kentucky
Depending on how draft decisions play out, Kentucky could actually have a plethora of “veterans” next season, a legitimately experienced team… The recruiting class is “only” ranked No. 6 right now, but includes a couple of 5-star kids (Keldon Johnson and Immanuel Quickly) and one 4-star recruit (Tyler Herro).

#8 Tennessee
The Vols stunned pretty much everybody this season, and they return pretty much everyone next season, including SEC Player of the Year Grant Williams. When you return everyone from team that earned a No. 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament, that’s a top-10 team.

#11 Auburn
The Tigers didn’t have a single senior on their roster this season, but they do have a handful of folks weighing NBA decisions… Still, with Bryce Brown (15.9), Jared Harper (13.2) and Desean Murray (10.1) expected back, the Tigers will be an SEC contender again.

#13 LSU
LSU has Scout.com’s No. 4 class nationally, including 5-star forwards Nazreon Reid and Emmitt Williams and 4-star recruits Darius Days and Je’Vonte Smart. If Tremont Waters, who averaged 15.9 points and 6.0 assists as a freshman, comes back? This team could really be special.

#16 Florida
The truth is, it’s hard to know exactly how the loss of a do-everything guy like senior point guard Chris Chiozza will impact a team. But he’s gone, as is Egor Koulechov, and Jalen Hudson is testing the draft waters without an agent.

#21 Mississippi State
Ben Howland’s team won 25 games this year without an impact senior, and the Bulldogs have the No. 9 recruiting class coming in for next season. If everyone comes back, this will be one of the SEC’s best squads.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I hope Nembhart is the next Calathes/Moten/Roberson. That thought prompted me to look at what UF frosh PGs have done over the years. Here is a table:

upload_2018-4-2_17-1-38.png

The top 5 name were guys brought in to play a lot as Frosh. The second group came in in a situation with a returning PG. I calculated the averages based on the number of actual players with the information available. I think for example Moten and Montgomery can in before the 3 point shot was available, but it was by the end of their careers.

Ramos only played 12 games and left the team, but I included him because he was a top recruit who was to be the PG that year. I left out Jai Lucas as he came in the same year as Calathes and seemed to have been a short 2 guard. Have I left anyone else out that should be in this? I think these set the ranges we might expect from Nembhard.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
I hope Nembhart is the next Calathes/Moten/Roberson. That thought prompted me to look at what UF frosh PGs have done over the years. Here is a table:

The top 5 name were guys brought in to play a lot as Frosh. The second group came in in a situation with a returning PG. I calculated the averages based on the number of actual players with the information available. I think for example Moten and Montgomery can in before the 3 point shot was available, but it was by the end of their careers.

Ramos only played 12 games and left the team, but I included him because he was a top recruit who was to be the PG that year. I left out Jai Lucas as he came in the same year as Calathes and seemed to have been a short 2 guard. Have I left anyone else out that should be in this? I think these set the ranges we might expect from Nembhard.
Thanks for the research. Andrew Moten is my all time favorite Gator point guard. Loved to watch him play.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Would the Gators hire a Bulldog?

https://florida.rivals.com/news/would-the-gators-hire-a-bulldog-

On March 19 it Dusty May was publicly linked to the FAU job. Since that day Gators head coach Mike White has done a great job of keeping the names of coaches he is interested in talking to very quiet, let alone anyone that White has actually interviewed.

Monday afternoon a GatorsTerritory.com source told us via text that “There are a million candidates and everyone [sic] hitting him.”

By Monday night one name did surface – Georgia assistant coach and former Bulldogs forward (2001-2004) – Jonas Hayes.

Hayes was on Mark Fox's staff for six seasons. First as director of operations then five years as an assistant coach. Hayes' main responsibilities at UGA are recruiting and developing post players. Hayes played a big role in the development of All-SEC players Marcus Thornton and Yante Maten. He was Georgia's lead recruiter on five-star guard Ashton Hagans, who committed to Georgia but then reopened his recruitment shortly before Fox was fired.

According to a source in Georgia, there might be something to the Hayes chatter we picked up on but Hayes has other options too. One of those options is staying at Georgia on Tom Crean’s staff. Reportedly Hayes talked to a few schools over the weekend and also in the past couple of weeks. Now, it's a matter of if Hayes receives a job offer, what that offer includes and Hayes deciding if that offer is better for him and his family than what he currently has at Georgia.

Would Hayes, who averaged 8.6 points and 4.9 rebounds during his playing career with the Bulldogs, really leave Georgia to work for its rival? We've been told that if Florida were to make an attractive offer to Hayes “the alma mater thing would not stop him” from accepting.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
By Monday night one name did surface – Georgia assistant coach and former Bulldogs forward (2001-2004) – Jonas Hayes.

Hayes was on Mark Fox's staff for six seasons. ... Hayes' main responsibilities at UGA are recruiting and developing post players. Hayes played a big role in the development of All-SEC players Marcus Thornton and Yante Maten. He was Georgia's lead recruiter on five-star guard Ashton Hagans, who committed to Georgia but then reopened his recruitment shortly before Fox was fired.

It looks to me like he has the two biggest things UF would have on its check list for this hire:

A. Experience working with big men

B. Recruiting experience.

So I would be pleased to get him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member