Recruiting Florida Lands 4* ATH Kadrius Tony

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
As a safety or a CB?

He isn't anywhere near fast enough to play CB or S in the sec. He can play QB or a slot receiver like an Ace Sanders. Toney makes Marcell Harris look like a track star.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I wish you were our recruiting coordinator, busting the coaches balls 24/7 to do their jobs better - I really do, as you will never be satisfied. And while that's annoying as ****ing hell, it would serve a recruiting coordinator well.

Here's the problem. I'm not being some negative nellie. Fact: Our average class since 2002 is SEVEN. Mac has a 23 and a 14 under him so far. Those are TWO of the bottom three classes since '02. That's just not good enough. He's getting his ass kicked in on the trail right now. Not good enough. Is the above wrong? Is it just that I am pointing it out?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Here's the problem. I'm not being some negative nellie. Fact: Our average class since 2002 is SEVEN. Mac has a 23 and a 14 under him so far. Those are TWO of the bottom three classes since '02. That's just not good enough. He's getting his ass kicked in on the trail right now. Not good enough. Is the above wrong? Is it just that I am pointing it out?
:pumper:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Not really sure how anyone can argue with this.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016

Hey Rex as far as recruiting goes...Do you care more about rankings or production from the class?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

I certainly think that Mac needs to do a better job. We should be top 5 every year.. minimum top 10. That said... if a guy like Toney is getting offers from Bama then it is very likely he is talented and his star rating will increase (which will increase our ranking). We've had the #1 class before and it has been a bust with injuries, transfers and guys who haven't met expectations. I do think that stars matter, only because 5* players tend to be better athletes and on average have more success. That doesn't mean you can't find some diamonds with 3* guys or maybe even a 2* QB.

I think if LDR can run McElwain's offense you will see more recruits start coming to UF. The second half of the year really hurt the momentum that the team had built. Treon just wasn't good enough.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Which 40 time do you believe?

I go by his tape and his times in the 100m average 11.6. Based on his 100m times, Scout's verified 4.69 is the accurate one. Toney does track and field. So we have actual times for him. They aren't good at all.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I certainly think that Mac needs to do a better job. We should be top 5 every year.. minimum top 10. That said... if a guy like Toney is getting offers from Bama then it is very likely he is talented and his star rating will increase (which will increase our ranking). We've had the #1 class before and it has been a bust with injuries, transfers and guys who haven't met expectations. I do think that stars matter, only because 5* players tend to be better athletes and on average have more success. That doesn't mean you can't find some diamonds with 3* guys or maybe even a 2* QB.

I think if LDR can run McElwain's offense you will see more recruits start coming to UF. The second half of the year really hurt the momentum that the team had built. Treon just wasn't good enough.

Agree here. I'm not greedy, and (imo) top 10 classes will be just fine. If he can regularly pull in top 10 classes that means we'll occasionally crack the top 5 (and probably have a class outside the top 10 once every 10 years). The argument T Rex is making is valid and if we finish 14th or worse again it's not a good sign (regarding this coaching staff). Every class (even top 5 classes) have a few 3* guys, so I'm not losing sleep over it. If half our class is 3-stars...well, that's a different story.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Here's the way I see it. Land consecutive top 10 classes and we'll stay at or near the top of our division...Land consecutive top 5 classes and we'll compete for conference and national titles....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Hey Rex as far as recruiting goes...Do you care more about rankings or production from the class?

There is a direct correlation to recruiting rankings and success. It is a fact that you can't argue. Will a coach find some diamonds in the rough? Absolutely. Overall? Stars are stars. Look at the draft. Those stats bare it out even more. There's a ton of data backing up my position. There are exceptions to every rule.

The bottom line is you need talent and lots of it to win the SEC. Getting a three star here and there to out perform his original star ranking is great but it's not going to win you the SEC. Would you agree with that?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Agree here. I'm not greedy, and (imo) top 10 classes will be just fine. If he can regularly pull in top 10 classes that means we'll occasionally crack the top 5 (and probably have a class outside the top 10 once every 10 years). The argument T Rex is making is valid and if we finish 14th or worse again it's not a good sign (regarding this coaching staff). Every class (even top 5 classes) have a few 3* guys, so I'm not losing sleep over it. If half our class is 3-stars...well, that's a different story.

This times 10000000

It goes deeper than just star rankings. Some of those 3 stars will out perform, some will under perform. Over time your roster will be significantly less talented than Bama, LSU and FSU. Your DEPTH is also affected. Right now we aren't even keeping up with Jones's.

It is a long term problem that will rear its ugly head at some point.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Right now, Mac's recruiting has us turning into Oregon south. We'll put up a crap load of points but we won't be able to stop anyone.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Right now, Mac's recruiting has us turning into Oregon south. We'll put up a crap load of points but we won't be able to stop anyone.
Agree, we've almost done a complete 180 with our recruiting. I have nothing to b!tch about offensively with what we've done coming off a disastrous last 5 years, but I never, eevvveeerrr want to be some Baylor/Oregon/TTech type team....:barfaway:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Agree, we've almost done a complete 180 with our recruiting. I have nothing to b!tch about offensively with what we've done coming off a disastrous last 5 years, but I never, eevvveeerrr want to be some Baylor/Oregon/TTech type team....:barfaway:

It's the SEC. Good defense is always going to stop good offense.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I go by his tape and his times in the 100m average 11.6. Based on his 100m times, Scout's verified 4.69 is the accurate one. Toney does track and field. So we have actual times for him. They aren't good at all.
This makes perfect sense. Track times should be reliable. But the article today says Obama's offer was specifically to be a defensive back. Saban doesn't make too many mistakes at dB,???

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This makes perfect sense. Track times should be reliable. But the article today says Obama's offer was specifically to be a defensive back. Saban doesn't make too many mistakes at dB,???

Those guys know football better than me. Maybe I'm missing something. He obviously won't be running 100m in a game. He does very well in the long jump which implies he is explosive. As Law often points out, what kind of offer is it? According to 247, they have offered 18 corners and 17 safeties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator