Florida to schedule Home and Home with Notre Dame?

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
A damn good thing my sister and her husband still have their 4 season tickets at ND. :cool:

Go Gators!! Have always wanted this matchup in my college + years.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
We ended up having to play a walk on MLB in the second half and ND just kept handing off to the Bus and he ran right through those poor guys.
I remember it exactly that way. I was at the game. I was just taking a shot at the grand pooh bah. I always said it was our 3rd string LB corp playing the 2nd half. Maybe our walkona was 3rd string. Hell, our bowl game was beating fsu. Oddly enough we only lost to Syracuse and ND. Ugh.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You were 6 yrs old more interested in the popcorn and snow cone. SOS vowed to never kck FGs again or let the team party too hardy as a reward for kcking fsu's ass in the final game...............
I was 16 and watched the entire game. We were excited about the matchup and really felt UF would kill them. We underestimated the power of a HOF running back. It's a helpless feeling when you know what the opposition is going to do and are absolutely powerless to stop it.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I was 16 and watched the entire game. We were excited about the matchup and really felt UF would kill them. We underestimated the power of a HOF running back. It's a helpless feeling when you know what the opposition is going to do and are absolutely powerless to stop it.

Holtz dropped eight into coverage and dared Spurrier to beat him running the ball. Spurrier, of course, took this as a dare and the defense ended up being left on the field too long as a result. The Bus rolled us continuously in the second half and there is a hole in the wall of an Aloha Gardens apartment as a result of Spurrier’s stubbornness in that game.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The Bus rolled us continuously in the second half and there is a hole in the wall of an Aloha Gardens apartment as a result of Spurrier’s stubbornness in that game.
:bwahaha:

Not the only hole in the wall spread out through a number of apartments those years.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Holtz dropped eight into coverage and dared Spurrier to beat him running the ball. Spurrier, of course, took this as a dare and the defense ended up being left on the field too long as a result. The Bus rolled us continuously in the second half and there is a hole in the wall of an Aloha Gardens apartment as a result of Spurrier’s stubbornness in that game.
Aloha Gardens.....spent a year there too

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Cheerios Bowl. The difference between Cheerios and Notre Flame is that Cheerios belongs in a bowl.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
This is another example of changes coming, fine with me but my experience with ND fans indicates that they are very arrogant.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can still see Jerome Bettis rumbling down the field while Gator players flail at him like children. :facepalm:
Its not only burned into my eyeballs from the Superdome endzone seats, but the sound of that coonass stadium announcer calling every play as well...."Bettis on da carry for No-tra Dame for tirdy-tree yahts, tackelt on da Flahrida fahrty tree."

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Stubbornness? There were other much bigger factors than SOS, but I’ll start with addressing that:

1. If Matthews bothered to dump off to Rhett underneath (he had lots of running room), the O scores more effectively throughout the second half. Instead he kept pushing it downfield into coverage. That’s more on Matthews’ decisions in the pocket than the play calling.

2. Matthews’ accuracy/timing was either affected by the foot injury vs f$u, and/or the rumored hangover from bourbon st. Our WRs were 5-10 yds behind the nd secondary for the entire first half, but Matthews kept under throwing. If he maintained the accuracy he had over the entire season, the lead would’ve been out of reach by halftime, even with bettis running wild in the second half.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The ND game in the Sugar Bowl wasn't a complete loss. I did learn how many whippits it takes to get a migraine.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I see we're lowering our standards again...

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Stubbornness? There were other much bigger factors than SOS, but I’ll start with addressing that:

1. If Matthews bothered to dump off to Rhett underneath (he had lots of running room), the O scores more effectively throughout the second half. Instead he kept pushing it downfield into coverage. That’s more on Matthews’ decisions in the pocket than the play calling.

2. Matthews’ accuracy/timing was either affected by the foot injury vs f$u, and/or the rumored hangover from bourbon st. Our WRs were 5-10 yds behind the nd secondary for the entire first half, but Matthews kept under throwing. If he maintained the accuracy he had over the entire season, the lead would’ve been out of reach by halftime, even with bettis running wild in the second half.

I didn't watch this ever again after this defeat, so these seem like reasonable points, but I definitely focused on Spurrier and the fact that we continued to call pass plays. I will take your word for it, since, even in my curiosity to understand it more, I will never fire up this game again.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Pretty sure I've posted this before, but I had a 1994 Preseason UF book that had an article about Sr LB Kevin Freeman who had finally reemerged in the spring of that year. In the interview, he referenced that game, and specifically one hit where Bettis just ran him over. Apparently it shook his confidence so much, it took 2+ years to recover.

Insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.