Florida to stick to two-QB system vs. East Carolina

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n273230 said:
NMSU is trash. Basically a D-IAA team. This is UF. Grier is the better QB. Why prolong it?

Exactly and why we need to see both QBs under some real pressure and without big cushions being given to receivers down the field. ECU while not that good on defense will show a little more than NMSU did.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
I have no problem with this. While Treon is no Bama RB, Bama always liked their wildcat packages. Treon won't be a ramming RB, but he is still a decent threat to throw out of the wildcat. He runs very well and will run the read option just fine. I think Grier starting as the more pro-style QB with Treon coming in for a package of plays is right up Mac's alley and I'm completely fine with it.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Yes there is no rush to decide and if the criteria is making others better around you both got the job done. Now we need much better center play, and better oline play as well.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n273396 said:
I have no problem with this. While Treon is no Bama RB, Bama always liked their wildcat packages. Treon won't be a ramming RB, but he is still a decent threat to throw out of the wildcat. He runs very well and will run the read option just fine. I think Grier starting as the more pro-style QB with Treon coming in for a package of plays is right up Mac's alley and I'm completely fine with it.

This is completely different than having two guys split snaps. Go with Grier and if you want to have some wildcat packages with Treon? Great.

I'd really like Grier to be getting the bulk of the first team snaps and get him fully ready for the season.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Grier,IMHO, was the surgeon-type QB, cutting the pass defenders precisely, smoothly, and it took him less seconds
to fire it. Grier's passes got to the receivers ( notice can't say WRs anymore 'cause TEs were born) with much less
time-travel in the air. That means, pre-snap, his "football-mind" compiled all the probable rush schemes. Treon
had to be a moving QB, ad-libbing due to occurrences he did not foresee. Treon is a top scrambler & hopefully
it worked well because Mac spread lots of receivers out there for him to see. I'm also hoping the HC-crew put
the "smarts" in our receivers to correctly "drift" into the clear helping the changing play of their QB,Treon.

The biggest things for GatorNation to be excited about is that we have an HC with crew that are proper teachers
and developers of young men. That has been and will continue to transform Gator players, starters and strong
excited backups. Thank God we paid so much to get rid of "Messedchomp" !

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is college. Not the pros. Sometimes decisions to start aren't as cut and dry. There's a reason that Grier isn't starting and it's not talent. Part of running a college program is equipping these kids for when they leave. Nobody here knows the in and outs of what these coaches communicate and expect from the players. Grier is lacking on some level of expectation regardless of talent and until he meets that this spot is going to be open.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I just think that they have film on how Harris will respond under the big lights and only 1/2 of a practice game for Grier. They need to see more in different situations.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n273559 said:
This is college. Not the pros. Sometimes decisions to start aren't as cut and dry. There's a reason that Grier isn't starting and it's not talent. Part of running a college program is equipping these kids for when they leave. Nobody here knows the in and outs of what these coaches communicate and expect from the players. Grier is lacking on some level of expectation regardless of talent and until he meets that this spot is going to be open.

Remember what coach said, the person who improved those around them the most would be the choice. At this time it appears to be what I call a "push". Now if one actually earns the job clearly the team will understand and accept it, if it is just an appointment they will also see that. It must be that the individual who is the starter must win the position and keep it, both in practice and in games. Hopefully whoever is not chosen will not be considered a "looser" but rather a winner in helping the team to succeed. That is most important especially since we have a history of not handling such issues correctly under Champ!!

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;273356 said:
Not really. Grier has a much faster release and seems to actually go through his progressions. Treon might be slightly more talented physically but Grier seems to have it upstairs.

Technically, we should've named a started BEFORE any games were even played so your point is moot.

You sound like Muschamp.... We have two talented QB's, we should play them both until one proves he's not worthy of playing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No reason not to let both of them to play. If I had to take a guess, I'd say the team likes both QB's, but "prefer" Treon (probably for personal reasons). If Mac lets the competition to continue, the best QB will emerge. I think it's really a process of showing the team who the best QB is. Less chance of a fractured locker room that way. I think Treon handles himself much better than Brissett did, and I don't expect him to antagonize the situation. And yes, I think Grier will win the job.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was on the Treon train after how he pulled out the win in TN and brought the team leadership. He sparked them and it showed. For a freshman under the last regime and playing hurt at the end, he did OK. He played big boy HS football so he has had 'pressure' games. WG is similar to JD in that the measurables are there, played small ball HS. The difference that jumps out is that JD had happy feet and usually threw an almost uncatchable fastball or over threw the receiver, where as WG knew where he wanted to go with and put it there on a rope. He has it upstairs!

With what I saw from the Oline against NMSU, we'll need both QB when one gets roughed up. Best to have him game ready.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n273220 said:
If they both are as efficient as they were last night, I wouldn't care if they go with the rotation all damn year.
Please God no. I hate the 2 QB system. A QB will never reach his potential having to come off the field all the time. Pick a guy and stay with him.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n273801 said:
Please God no. I hate the 2 QB system. A QB will never reach his potential having to come off the field all the time. Pick a guy and stay with him.

So you hated 2006 with Leak and Tebow? Man, I remember enjoying a championship that year. I know they are the exception and not the rule, but anything is possible. I'm just saying.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n273801 said:

Ohio State seems to manage to keep 3 happy and playing well...even needed 3 to win the NC last year.

Treon actually got a stinger in his right shoulder area Saturday night.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n273816 said:
So you hated 2006 with Leak and Tebow? Man, I remember enjoying a championship that year. I know they are the exception and not the rule, but anything is possible. I'm just saying.
Tebow was a small-package player who had unique skills that Leak did not have. Leak still got 90+% of the snaps.

Grier and Harris aren't completely different QB's. It's early, but I really don't see what Harris offers that Grier can't do. Give him the freaking ball and get out of his way.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow and leak was nowhere near a 2 qb system.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n273356 said:
Technically, we should've named a started BEFORE any games were even played so your point is moot.

Technically, Mac did name a starter before the NMSU game. He said Harris would start.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This like many people said last week is part of the evaluation process. Now Coach is going to see how Grier will manage the start of the game. He is qiving each quarterback the same situations (with different teams). Lets see if Grier starts hot as Harris, and if Harris comes in as well as Grier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator