*** Florida vs Kentucky official game thread ***

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think zone would have been a good call with how well they were shooting. We overdid the help defense on their dribble penetration and they were able to find a lot of open shooters with kick outs. They also killed our press.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Really poor effort (whose job is it to have the player's ready again?). If not for DFS we lose by 40 and lose most of the last 5 wins. Keep in mind he's gone in a few games. What do the coach white lovers think this team is going to look like when DoDo goes Bye Bye?

Stop it lol. White has done a fine job this year. He can't go out there and hit the shots for them, and he sure as heck can't help it when Murray hits every shot he takes (8-10 from 3).

Robinson and Allen need to step up for remainder of this year and for next year to replace DFS.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
We need a better game plan against UKs guards

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Stop it lol. White has done a fine job this year. He can't go out there and hit the shots for them, and he sure as heck can't help it when Murray hits every shot he takes (8-10 from 3).

Robinson and Allen need to step up for remainder of this year and for next year to replace DFS.
I'm not sold. It's hard to be the guy who follows the guy. Might be why we aimed low figuring success was a long shot.:scratchchin:

We'll see, but I honestly don't see a functional team when you remove DoDo.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think Kentucky is beginning to gel -- maybe into a Final-4 team... and this was Rupp Arena.
Seems we are at best just a cantankerous team, both for opponents and Gator fans. Jury
is still out on White's coaching 'magic' ... how long can we be irrelevant ? Sad fan here.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I think Kentucky is beginning to gel -- maybe into a Final-4 team... and this was Rupp Arena.
Seems we are at best just a cantankerous team, both for opponents and Gator fans. Jury
is still out on White's coaching 'magic' ... how long can we be irrelevant ? Sad fan here.

No. Just no. They are nowhere near a Final 4 team lol. They had a hot shooting day against a team that can't play for anything on the road.

We will beat them in the Odome

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Really poor effort (whose job is it to have the player's ready again?). If not for DFS we lose by 40 and lose most of the last 5 wins. Keep in mind he's gone in a few games. What do the coach White lovers think this team is going to look like next year when DoDo goes Bye Bye?

Well Hill and Chiozza have never shown they can hit the side of a barn under any coach most games.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Really poor effort (whose job is it to have the player's ready again?). If not for DFS we lose by 40 and lose most of the last 5 wins. Keep in mind he's gone in a few games. What do the coach White lovers think this team is going to look like next year when DoDo goes Bye Bye?

So basically it's coach whites fault when the players can't hit anything but the players get all the credit when they do hit shots? :dunno:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Let's erase this from memory and go get these next 2 home games before going to Georgia (we need this win) and South Carolina (what the heck is going on with crazy Frank?).

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sold. It's hard to be the guy who follows the guy. Might be why we aimed low figuring success was a long shot.:scratchchin:

We'll see, but I honestly don't see a functional team when you remove DoDo.
I've already decided I like the son of bitch. You would think everyone will be a year older and better. Probably have Murphy back next year to help out some. We'll be pretty good next year.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Despite today's loss, this team has improved some since the beginning of the season IMO. We have gone from being a horrendous shooting team to a poor shooting team who can have the occasional break out game or some in-game streaks of late. We are usually most consistent defensively, but as several have pointed out, our effort today ranged from lacsidasical to confused in terms of defending the high screens to free the shooters. Of course, a guy who goes 8-10 from three probably can be very confusing, especially in the cozy confines of Rupp against a team who has struggled to win on the road. Part of the growing process for our guys.

Don't confuse what I'm about to say with acceptance of a moral victory, but there should be a bit of cheer that we did fight in the second half, at one point cutting the lead to 13 or 14, I think. Still hard to overcome how we started the game. We're we unprepared as several suggest? I would say yes in terms of our mental prep, but it would be hard for me to say that White hadn't prepared them for what to expect from KY offensively and defensively. Of course, the burden falls on him when we don't perform and as the coach l'm sure no one understands that more than him. But it's not a stretch to say that our offensive inconsistency, among other problems, makes it difficult to find the winning line up, player rotations, and sub patterns night in and night out (see Billy last year). I don't think the guy's doing as bad a job as some may want to believe.

As for the players, their big deal (or deals) from where I sit are becoming more consistent on the offensive end, obviously. Shooting has gotten some better, but outside of Allen, who was invisible today for the most part, we don't have hardly anyone besides DFS who is a consistent threat outside. We have some who are streaky, but they can disappear as suddenly as they appear. So, shot selection, it would seem, may be a continuing problem. It would also not be a stretch to think that periodically lose their focus and/or belief in themselves, which is usually a maturity issue and they obviously have some ways to go in this regard. To me, Egbunu in particular, seems to exemplify this. When he's good, he's good, but when he's not, he's slow and unfocused (had a few passes to him that he was not prepared for today that should have resulted in easy buckets). Even though he's raw, he has the potential to develop into the guy who can play his best every night and not just some games and how well White and staff can bring him along will answer the questions some may have about that aspect. Another guy who I tend to focus on is Robinson. A great athlete who can do some good things offensively. But as explosive as he can be on the O, is too often slow on defense, falling a step behind when his guy penetrates or when he has to fight through a pick or switches. I can't swear to it, but he may be resting in the wrong end of the court, which may explain why his minutes aren't more.

All in all, I'd like to see us get something better going on the road, but it may not happen during the remainder of the regular season. I'd also like to see us close with our best streak in terms of playing more consistently in all phases. But I am not by any means ready to call it a season.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think I've ever heard our fans complain about the refs as much as you have this year. We've never been that way. Of course, we've never really been the moral victory kind of crowd either but seems to be what this year has become.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think I've ever heard our fans complain about the refs as much as you have this year. We've never been that way. Of course, we've never really been the moral victory kind of crowd either but seems to be what this year has become.
Theyre officiating differently this year. They're trying to make the game less physical and get higher scores. I think it sucks.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We just don't play well on the road. This game was like when we destroyed West Virginia last Saturday. No one would have beaten us that day and that was Kentucky today. Hopefully the Gators will play better on Tuesday at home. My wife and I will be in attendance. She got us tickets to go for my birthday. Go Gators!!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'll say the same thing I've been saying for a while. This team is bipolar, plays pretty well at home and is a completely different team outside the confines of Stephen C. Next year we will find out about white. I feel like he's gonna be good, but who knows at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I've already decided I like the son of *****. You would think everyone will be a year older and better. Probably have Murphy back next year to help out some. We'll be pretty good next year.
I like him too. He reminds me a little of a young Billy and seems like a man of integrity. He was also pretty fiery and sharp when wired during the Arkansas game. But I'm not convinced at all that he's not in over his head. It's a pretty big move up in competition, then throw in following a legend and it's a tall order for any young coach. I'd say it's no more than 50/50 he's going to succeed, but hopefully I'm wrong. We should win the next 2 at home but he needs to find a way to get some road wins.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
This was a set up game all day long. Uk had lost two on the road. We were coming off great success and improvement, The guy with all the experience showed up but Casey and Chris didnt. Still, I think this team has improved GREATLY from day one. That can all be attributed to coaching, The odds of beating UK yesterday were long and we would have had to shoot lights out to win. I will take bets we beat them in Gville (if we have no injuries till then). A healthy Murphy was the missing leadership all year that would have given us a few more wins. This team has exceeded some of my expectations. You give me one of those UK players (let me pick) and we beat them. But I was saying that with Billy each year. fc UK and their perennial HS all star teams

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like him too. He reminds me a little of a young Billy and seems like a man of integrity. He was also pretty fiery and sharp when wired during the Arkansas game. But I'm not convinced at all that he's not in over his head. It's a pretty big move up in competition, then throw in following a legend and it's a tall order for any young coach. I'd say it's no more than 50/50 he's going to succeed, but hopefully I'm wrong. We should win the next 2 at home but he needs to find a way to get some road wins.
I think he's a good coach X's and O's wise. The question is will he be able to recruit at a high enough level.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This was a set up game all day long. Uk had lost two on the road. We were coming off great success and improvement, The guy with all the experience showed up but Casey and Chris didnt. Still, I think this team has improved GREATLY from day one. That can all be attributed to coaching, The odds of beating UK yesterday were long and we would have had to shoot lights out to win. I will take bets we beat them in Gville (if we have no injuries till then). A healthy Murphy was the missing leadership all year that would have given us a few more wins. This team has exceeded some of my expectations. You give me one of those UK players (let me pick) and we beat them. But I was saying that with Billy each year. fc UK and their perennial HS all star teams

Cool. More moral victory talk.

BTW, the odds of beating UK weren't seen to be as large as you'd like to think, at least not by the experts. They were only a 7 points favorite.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This team is going nowhere, fast.

Hill, Brandone and Walker would not play for most JUCOs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator