***Florida vs LSU BBALL Game Thread***

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes hustle beats talent. Our boys need to learn from this.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Put it away at the line. As Houdini might have said "Will wonders never cease!" Good response to the effort in Knoxville. Good win for the team and Coan White.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
What the???????????

whatthe_zpskismul3r.jpg

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Corndogs are, hands down, the most overhyped team in the country, due to them having the most overhyped player in the country.

Gators win, big.
28 pts 16 rbs and 4 assists - he's the real deal from what I saw. He had 8 TOs in the 2nd half, thankfully. He's 18 years old and the best player I've seen this year and ranks up there with true freshman Diamond Stone at Maryland. Those guys are both top 5 in the draft in June.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This quote won't be popular with many fans and it shouldn't be an indictment of Billy or what he accomplished during his time here, as all should be appreciative, but the post mortem of his departure leads me to believe that the move was contemplated or planned for some time. He didn't seem to be the same guy on the bench last year (not as much fire and intensity) and he didn't do a very good job recruiting the last couple of turns. I don't know how good White will be, but it seems part of the troubles is that he inherited a bit of a mess from a roster, skills, and experience standpoint. Throw in a lack of leadership by upperclassmen and you've got the makings for a tough season. Good thing is the kids so far have played hard, Tennessee excepted, of course. Bad thing is they couldn't roll it off the pier into the Gulf of Mexico. It's likely going to take this season passing and a lot of gym time to improve or shooting woes. Contrary to what is posted, full days of practice in-season to do nothing but shoot just isn't going to happen. Too many other things to work on. However, it isn't unheard of for players to stay after and shoot or come in at other times to get in some shots. My guess is they are doing this, but even so, a poor shooter won't go from sh!t to sugar in a short time frame. This is going to be a patience tester!
Billy ran into a problem recruiting for the second time in his career. He's just too much of a straight shooter. We missed on some kids (e.g. Patrick Patterson) right after we won the titles because he never denied interest in the NBA and kids thought he would leave (which he almost did). Then after backing out of the Magic deal he wasn't able to make the jump for 5 years so kids didn't have anything to worry about. But he never denied interest in leaving and after the 5 years passed I think it just made it harder to bring the kids in.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good win Gators! What was that about firing White again...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Billy ran into a problem recruiting for the second time in his career. He's just too much of a straight shooter. We missed on some kids (e.g. Patrick Patterson) right after we won the titles because he never denied interest in the NBA and kids thought he would leave (which he almost did). Then after backing out of the Magic deal he wasn't able to make the jump for 5 years so kids didn't have anything to worry about. But he never denied interest in leaving and after the 5 years passed I think it just made it harder to bring the kids in.
This team has more size and athleticism than any team Billy ever coached other than the 04's.. The big problem is shooting. But shooting is a funny thing, it can turn around for you when you least expect it. Who was that guard Billy had as a 4 year starter? I'm blanking on his name, but he had a terrible shot, took it way back over his head before release and yet he shot 40% from 3 one year almost purely on confidence.

This was a big win against a good team. White still has time and has the talent to do something good with this group. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Just remembered, Kenny Boynkin. Terrible shooter and yet found a way to make the ball go through the hoop. We need these guys to find some confidence.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
These are young Gators … Justin Leon, J.Hayes, Egbunu, J. Allen all first season guys.
They all sure do need to develop shooting touches.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Billy ran into a problem recruiting for the second time in his career. He's just too much of a straight shooter. We missed on some kids (e.g. Patrick Patterson)
Patterson was such a great kid. If had come in with that Greek kid (assist machine) we would have been fantastic. That boy lead the league in assists as a Fr. with basically no one to pass to. His partner got much better as he got older. wTf was his name.
btw the big guy won it for us in the last few minutes. HUGE jump hook and 4-4 FTs in the last 3 minutes. Leon can shoot the three. Him and the Fr guard and Murphy can make us MUCH better. DFS came to play today. Hill is much better off the bench and fewer minutes. Wish he could shoot,

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This team has more size and athleticism than any team Billy ever coached other than the 04's.. The big problem is shooting. But shooting is a funny thing, it can turn around for you when you least expect it. Who was that guard Billy had as a 4 year starter? I'm blanking on his name, but he had a terrible shot, took it way back over his head before release and yet he shot 40% from 3 one year almost purely on confidence.

This was a big win against a good team. White still has time and has the talent to do something good with this group. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
This team is extremely athletic and definitely more talented than last year's team. That being said it is obviously nowhere near as talented as the title teams were.

Not sure who you are thinking of regarding the shooting. Kenny Boynton maybe? I could see one guy going on a run, but not the whole team.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Florida won 68-62. With the type of shooting today we were fortunate that the team really came to play. If we play like that and hit 70% of our FTs and 35% of our 3s we can beat any team in the country. Just keep building on the effort show today!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
28 pts 16 rbs and 4 assists - he's the real deal from what I saw. He had 8 TOs in the 2nd half, thankfully. He's 18 years old and the best player I've seen this year and ranks up there with true freshman Diamond Stone at Maryland. Those guys are both top 5 in the draft in June.

And **** the bed when it counted. His me-first attitude will be a perfect fit in the NBA. Spoiled Aussie punk. Hope he enjoys the NIT.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Over react when we lose, and win. Priceless.....me included

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Good grind it out win. Maybe the kind of game they need. But next week will be tough. At Texas A&M and at Ole Miss.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Patterson was such a great kid. If had come in with that Greek kid (assist machine) we would have been fantastic. That boy lead the league in assists as a Fr. with basically no one to pass to. His partner got much better as he got older. wTf was his name.
btw the big guy won it for us in the last few minutes. HUGE jump hook and 4-4 FTs in the last 3 minutes. Leon can shoot the three. Him and the Fr guard and Murphy can make us MUCH better. DFS came to play today. Hill is much better off the bench and fewer minutes. Wish he could shoot,

Nick Calathes. Unreal court vision, good shooter, could get in the lane, could make a FT. Couldn't play D, but he was good.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Just remembered, Kenny Boynkin. Terrible shooter and yet found a way to make the ball go through the hoop. We need these guys to find some confidence.

Yep, Kenny Boynton. Ugly, ugly shot. If the first three went in watch out. If he missed the first one we were in for a rough ride. He was a good defender and that's why Billy D let him jack up threes because he could shut down guys.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't realize Simmons had 28. Thought we had a pretty good game plan today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator