Florida's All-Time Defensive Team

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
This is such an opinionated thread and a difficult one, but I did almost fall off my chair until Gatorbait25 saved the day and put Ed Chester in at DT. Thank you Gatorbait25. There are alot of close calls but there are only 3 names that can be at safety: RFN, Louis Oliver and Jarvis Williams. All others are clearly below them. And at CB it is very difficult. Hard not to argue that VHIII might be the best cover corner. But I do have to stick up for Janoris in one way. Though he was a screw up, he is probably the best all around corner we have had in 25 years. He had better technique and was a better cover corner than Haden. And Janoris made 2 HUGE tackles in his career that never get talked about. Early in the SEC CH, game, he single handedly defeated 2-3 Alabama blockers to tackle the RB on a screen pass, that would have been a TD if not for him. And early on in the NC game he single handedly defeated multiple OU blockers in open field to tackle a RB that would have scored. In both cases Janoris was the only guy in the area and made both plays.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure on some of these players and the arguments for them. I think Brown and Kearse definitely had a lot more game changing plays in their best years than Fowler or Easley ever had. Brown had a total of 23.5 sacks his junior and senior year (that Tennessee game was his sophomore season). Just based on production and game changing plays they would have to get the nod over the more recent players but some people say their numbers were better because of those leads we got under Spurrier allowing them to pin their ears back a lot.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I remember Janoris J as a freshman thinking, He is the best player on the field. Sammy Green (LB from the 70s) had about a million tackles in his career.
Elam and VernonH are flat out fantastic players. Ralph Ortega was an AA along with Glenn Cameron. Charlie Pell had some of the baddest assss Def players I
ever saw, They made Bo Jackson sit down and quit. They hit Herschel harder than anyone (not that it did any good)

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n181997 said:
Not sure on some of these players and the arguments for them. I think Brown and Kearse definitely had a lot more game changing plays in their best years than Fowler or Easley ever had. Brown had a total of 23.5 sacks his junior and senior year (that Tennessee game was his sophomore season). Just based on production and game changing plays they would have to get the nod over the more recent players but some people say their numbers were better because of those leads we got under Spurrier allowing them to pin their ears back a lot.

Part of that was the defense especially after 1995, not allowing the opposing offense any room to keep up. Brown and that defense was fantastic getting 3 and outs early in games.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
-THE DUDE-;n181925 said:
DE- Kevin Carter
DT- Gerrard Warren
DT- Sharrif Floyd
DE- Carlos Dunlap
LB- Mike Peterson
LB- Wilbur Marshall
LB- Brandon Spikes
CB- Vernon Hargreaves
CB- Joe Haden
SS- Lawrence Wright
FS- Reggie Nelson

This.....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I would almost throw Jermaine Cunningham into the mix. He had some very timely sacks for us in big games. Go back and watch the 4th quarter of the 2008 SECCG.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
stephenPE;n181999 said:
I remember Janoris J as a freshman thinking, He is the best player on the field. Sammy Green (LB from the 70s) had about a million tackles in his career.
Elam and VernonH are flat out fantastic players. Ralph Ortega was an AA along with Glenn Cameron. Charlie Pell had some of the baddest assss Def players I
ever saw, They made Bo Jackson sit down and quit. They hit Herschel harder than anyone (not that it did any good)

I am not quite old enough to remember Green but it says he had 202 tackles his senior season - that is crazy.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
FireFoley;n181996 said:
This is such an opinionated thread and a difficult one, but I did almost fall off my chair until Gatorbait25 saved the day and put Ed Chester in at DT. Thank you Gatorbait25. There are alot of close calls but there are only 3 names that can be at safety: RFN, Louis Oliver and Jarvis Williams. All others are clearly below them. And at CB it is very difficult. Hard not to argue that VHIII might be the best cover corner. But I do have to stick up for Janoris in one way. Though he was a screw up, he is probably the best all around corner we have had in 25 years. He had better technique and was a better cover corner than Haden. And Janoris made 2 HUGE tackles in his career that never get talked about. Early in the SEC CH, game, he single handedly defeated 2-3 Alabama blockers to tackle the RB on a screen pass, that would have been a TD if not for him. And early on in the NC game he single handedly defeated multiple OU blockers in open field to tackle a RB that would have scored. In both cases Janoris was the only guy in the area and made both plays.

Happy to help. I'm sure Ed would've had a very good career at the next level. I believe it was against a Dinardo led LSU team he had his career ending injury.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatorbait25;n181947 said:
DT- Warren
DT- Chester
DE- Alex Brown
DE- Carter
LB- Kearse
LB- Spikes
LB- Marshall
CB- Haden
CB- Fred Weary
FS- Nelson
SS- L Wright

PR- Lito

Solid list.

It would be a lot easier to make a 2 deep, because there are definite arguments for several players at a particular position. Perfect example would be Will White, Tony George and Teako Brown. Such great players, but how do you put them in front of LW or RFN?

I may swap Chester with Ellis Johnson. And I probably would have someone like Hanks in Kearse's spot. And depending on how he finishes his time at UF, VH3 may overtake Weary. But overall, you pretty much nailed it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just looking at the stats Brad Culpepper seems to have most of the other DTs beat out in his best years.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
While Janoris had a number of big plays..that was partly a product of being on a great team most of his years here..National Title quality..if VHIII was put in the same position on a great team he was more than capable of making similar players, and I don't think VHIII is just a cover guy like a D. Sanders was, because he has shown he can come up and make a spectacular tackle on say a RB for a loss of a few yards.

VHIII always seems to be in the right spot when the ball is thrown and gets to his guy, even if he doesn't ALWAYS make the play..and his instincts when it comes to the right, exact moment to extend his arms to intercept or knock away the ball can rarely be taught.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n182018 said:
I would almost throw Jermaine Cunningham into the mix. He had some very timely sacks for us in big games. Go back and watch the 4th quarter of the 2008 SECCG.

Great player, but shouldn't be anywhere near this list.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Youngblood played in a Super Bowl on a broken leg. Easley played with a chucky doll. Mentioning the two in the same breath is an outright insult to Youngblood.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Leroy Jenkins;n182032 said:
While Janoris had a number of big plays..that was partly a product of being on a great team most of his years here..National Title quality..if VHIII was put in the same position on a great team he was more than capable of making similar players, and I don't think VHIII is just a cover guy like a D. Sanders was, because he has shown he can come up and make a spectacular tackle on say a RB for a loss of a few yards.

VHIII always seems to be in the right spot when the ball is thrown and gets to his guy, even if he doesn't ALWAYS make the play..and his instincts when it comes to the right, exact moment to extend his arms to intercept or knock away the ball can rarely be taught.

VHIII is real good but I think that one year Jenkins had was better. I remember a lot of real good WRs being shut down by him. The only one that had a decent game against him was that SC receiver if I remember correctly. VHIII hasn't had a season like that yet imo.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n182040 said:
VHIII is real good but I think that one year Jenkins had was better. I remember a lot of real good WRs being shut down by him. The only one that had a decent game against him was that SC receiver if I remember correctly. VHIII hasn't had a season like that yet imo.

VH3 also was coached by WM instead of Strong.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbgator;n182039 said:
Youngblood played in a Super Bowl on a broken leg. Easley played with a chucky doll. Mentioning the two in the same breath is an outright insult to Youngblood.

Youngblood had more heart but Easley has more talent.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n182029 said:
Solid list.

It would be a lot easier to make a 2 deep, because there are definite arguments for several players at a particular position. Perfect example would be Will White, Tony George and Teako Brown. Such great players, but how do you put them in front of LW or RFN?

I may swap Chester with Ellis Johnson. And I probably would have someone like Hanks in Kearse's spot. And depending on how he finishes his time at UF, VH3 may overtake Weary. But overall, you pretty much nailed it.

Thanks for the love sofla. And yo'ure right about Ellis Johnson. An argument could easily be made for him, but I think upon further review I'd stick with Chester.
In the secondary I tend to go by who made more game changing plays. Lito had the big pick back in the 98 ( I think) cocktail party that turned the tide, and a number
of great punt returns. Haden had one in the same game ten years later that helped fuel a rout. I'm pretty sure Weary has the most career picks in school history. As great
as VH3 is I can't really recall a real game changing play with the exception of his endzone pick against UT this year.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n182068 said:
Thanks for the love sofla. And yo'ure right about Ellis Johnson. An argument could easily be made for him, but I think upon further review I'd stick with Chester.
In the secondary I tend to go by who made more game changing plays. Lito had the big pick back in the 98 ( I think) cocktail party that turned the tide, and a number
of great punt returns. Haden had one in the same game ten years later that helped fuel a rout. I'm pretty sure Weary has the most career picks in school history. As great
as VH3 is I can't really recall a real game changing play with the exception of his endzone pick against UT this year.

If you go by great plays then Torrey Davis had one in the Title Game against Oklahoma...the tackle for loss as Oklahoma was about to score. Can't always go with players that had big plays, only. Same with Jarvis Moss blocking the field goal against USCe in 2006 to preserve the win..I still wouldn't put him as one of the DE's despite that play and some great play from him.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A name that has to be mentioned, though it's clear why he's been overlooked (pun intended), is Ahmad Black at S. I know his measureables weren't the best, but he was a great safety, usually in the perfect spot, often producing unbelievable, game-changing plays. I couldn't choose between Black, Wright, RFN and Elam. I'd want a two deep back there.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n182031 said:
Just looking at the stats Brad Culpepper seems to have most of the other DTs beat out in his best years.

Culpepper's career at UF has been underrated by many fans. He is one of the top/if not the top DT to play at UF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.