Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Leroy Jenkins;n182859 said:
The real question, a little off topic but not much, is:

Danny or Timmy or Steve at QB?

Depends which style of offense. I slightly prefer Tebow for his ability to evade the rush and punish the defense with his legs.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad;n182858 said:
My point was that the vast majority of the players listed are from the last 30 years even though UF has played for more than 100, even before the 80's.I in fact listed a few from the 60's and 70's to illustrate my point.
Nothing in my post warranted your response. Lighten up and take a mydol.

You act like a douche canoe, you get called one. I'm sure after the 7 days the bleeding will stop and you will be in a better mood like every other month.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Danny, never saw anyone run an offense as effectively as Danny.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Leroy Jenkins;n182882 said:
Is there anyone besides Emmitt Smith you could put at RB, '78?

No one ahead of Smith in my opinion... but in a two back offense, you could make arguments for Fred Taylor, Rhett, and N. Anderson. Some guys when we were in a run heavy offense might be as good, but I don't think there has been anyone who preformed like E. Smith did.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n182888 said:
No one ahead of Smith in my opinion... but in a two back offense, you could make arguments for Fred Taylor, Rhett, and N. Anderson. Some guys when we were in a run heavy offense might be as good, but I don't think there has been anyone who preformed like E. Smith did.

Pure performance you may have to go with Rhett after Emmitt..if you want more talent/skill you may have to choose Freddy since he was so big and fast.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n182887 said:
Danny, never saw anyone run an offense as effectively as Danny.

Wuerffel threw fades and timing routes to perfection under Spurrier, but he was in deep do-do when the rush was heavy. I'll take Tebow for that reason. He was a pretty good passer by his senior season.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n182888 said:

Taylor was almost every bit as good as Smith his senior season. Anderson wasn't quite up to those two. John L. Williams was a tremendously versatile back in the early '80s when he teamed with James Jones in the backfield. Ciatrick Fason showed great pure running ability in 2004.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n182893]

Taylor was almost every bit as good as Smith his senior season. Anderson wasn't quite up to those two. John L. Williams was a tremendously versatile back in the early '80s when he teamed with James Jones in the backfield. Ciatrick Fason showed great pure running ability in 2004. [/QUOTE]

I forgot to put Williams... I would choose Smith due to he was consistently up all the time, where Taylor was real high his Senior Year, and might be the most physically gifted running back in our history. But he was high or miss before his senior year. Fason was a good runner, but I don't know if he was in the top group.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n182892]

Wuerffel threw fades and timing routes to perfection under Spurrier, but he was in deep do-do when the rush was heavy. I'll take Tebow for that reason. He was a pretty good passer by his senior season. [/QUOTE]

When comparing Timmy and Danny, it is really 1a to 1b.... I don't think there is a right/wrong answer.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n182894 said:
I forgot to put Williams... I would choose Smith due to he was consistently up all the time, where Taylor was real high his Senior Year, and might be the most physically gifted running back in our history. But he was high or miss before his senior year. Fason was a good runner, but I don't know if he was in the top group.

Taylor was in Spurrier's doghouse for whatever reason quite a bit the first couple years. IIRC, there were asthma issues as well.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
DEs--Jack Youngblood, Alex Brown (it is with a heavy heart that I choose Brown over Kevin Carter)
DTs--Ed Chester, Ellis Johnson (could go with David Galloway or Gerrard Warren too)

OLBs--Wilber Marshall, Jevon Kearse (I want to replace Kearse with Alonzo Johnson but I can't make myself do it)
ILBs--Scot Brantley, Brandon Spikes (can't go wrong with David Little or Channing Crowder either)

SS--Lawrence Wright (or Matt Elam, you pick)
FS--Reggie Nelson

CBs--Janoris Jenkins, Joe Haden (sorry Lito)

Youngblood, Marshall, and Reggie Nelson are no brainers. Those are just obvious to me. All the rest of the slots are very competitive.

Alex.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wright and Elam were almost interchangeable, they were so similar in style. Loved both players, though Elam seemed to open his yap a bit too often.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n182898]

Taylor was in Spurrier's doghouse for whatever reason quite a bit the first couple years. IIRC, there were asthma issues as well. [/QUOTE]

Well, his first few years he did a few dumb things, that he was called on. Throw eggs at people, ordering pizzas on stolen credit cards, and being caught with stolen property (I believe it as backpack stolen by another player). Those kinda of things tended to land people in the Spurrier doghouse.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n182857 said:
The only major Defensive Award winner was Lawrence Wright with the Thorpe Award

That is crazy considering all the top defensive players we have had throughout the years.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

This is the defensive thread...we need to start an all time offensive thread

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n182886 said:
You act like a douche canoe, you get called one. I'm sure after the 7 days the bleeding will stop and you will be in a better mood like every other month.

I don't even understand what you are talking about now but that is probably best.
Go back and read the posts and then figure out how you twisted this entire thing around.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad;n182919 said:
I don't even understand what you are talking about now but that is probably best.
Go back and read the posts and then figure out how you twisted this entire thing around.

So you are done crying, and you are actually join the conversation then crying that people aren't be represented that are? If not, log off until your time month is over.

DevoGator

Founding Member
Grip it Good
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n182893]

Taylor was almost every bit as good as Smith his senior season. Anderson wasn't quite up to those two. John L. Williams was a tremendously versatile back in the early '80s when he teamed with James Jones in the backfield. Ciatrick Fason showed great pure running ability in 2004. [/QUOTE]
John L teamed with Hampton and Anderson not James Jones

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n182901]Wright and Elam were almost interchangeable, they were so similar in style. Loved both players, though Elam seemed to open his yap a bit too often. [/QUOTE]

I picked Wright because of maturity. They both talked smack but Elam had a temper and you were always on the edge of your seat wondering if he was going to get a personal foul call go against him. Wright used his smack to get into the opposing player's head.

And of course Darren Studstill and Joey Kent.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator