Florida's All-Time Defensive Team

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n182926 said:
I picked Wright because of maturity. They both talked smack but Elam had a temper and you were always on the edge of your seat wondering if he was going to get a personal foul call go against him. Wright used his smack to get into the opposing player's head.

And of course Darren Studstill and Joey Kent.

Alex.

I agree on Wright, think he was the best SS in our history. Wright was a beast.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
DevoGator;n182925 said:
John L teamed with Hampton and Anderson not James Jones

You're right -- mostly. They were teammates in 1982 but Williams, a frosh, was used mainly to spell Jones in the backfield. Pell recruited a lot of good running backs.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n182892]

Wuerffel threw fades and timing routes to perfection under Spurrier, but he was in deep do-do when the rush was heavy. I'll take Tebow for that reason. He was a pretty good passer by his soph season. [/QUOTE]
FIFY. I think they screwed him up the longer they had Dan Mullen as his "QB" Coach, a Div 3 TE who played in an option offense. I think Sasquash would have been better.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n182893]Taylor was almost every bit as good as Smith his senior season. Anderson wasn't quite up to those two. John L. Williams was a tremendously versatile back in the early '80s when he teamed with James Jones in the backfield. Ciatrick Fason showed great pure running ability in 2004. [/QUOTE]
+1. Lotsa great memories there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n182892]Wuerffel threw fades and timing routes to perfection under Spurrier, but he was in deep do-do when the rush was heavy. I'll take Tebow for that reason. He was a pretty good passer by his senior season. [/QUOTE]
I disagree. Every team we played tried to blitz-blitz-blitz him. Only one team resorted to pummeling him "until the echo of the whistle" (or 3-5 seconds later) to eak out a tight win and still he got back up after every cheapshot.

If it were 3rd and 1, I take Tebow but Wuerffel scored 40 points by halftime on top 20 teams like it was a walk in the park.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n182847 said:
Lawrence Wright...scan to the 2 min mark
Bad mofo and extra credit for being the best cheerleader we've ever had.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n182898]Taylor was in Spurrier's doghouse for whatever reason quite a bit the first couple years. IIRC, there were asthma issues as well. [/QUOTE]
He fumbled, got hurt (heel one year), stole textbooks, stole a credit card, and just wasn't as good as Terry Jackson most days.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n182926 said:
I picked Wright because of maturity. They both talked smack but Elam had a temper
One had four SEC championships and a NC. That tips the scale for me.

I always remember champions. It's way more important to me than what they did in the NFL.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Probably the most forgotten S is Todd Johnson. Definitely not an all-time safety, but was basically Ahmad Black during the Zook years. He was always around the ball.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PR Brandon James.....Lito a close 2nd

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n182946 said:
I disagree. Every team we played tried to blitz-blitz-blitz him. Only one team resorted to pummeling him "until the echo of the whistle" (or 3-5 seconds later) to eak out a tight win and still he got back up after every cheapshot.

If it were 3rd and 1, I take Tebow but Wuerffel scored 40 points by halftime on top 20 teams like it was a walk in the park.

I agree - how he handled the blitz is what separated him from Dean.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n182901]Wright and Elam were almost interchangeable, they were so similar in style. Loved both players, though Elam seemed to open his yap a bit too often. [/QUOTE]

Wright has one of the best hits in our history, one of the best pick-6's in our history, won a title, and will forever be remembered for his "if you ain't a Gator" chant on the microphone. Based on that, I give him the nod.

I also loved his story. I read once where he was such a thug as a kid/teenager that it was said that if you saw him walking down the sidewalk, you were probably going to get robbed of something(think radios was his forte). His turnaround is a great story and he has done a lot to try and mold kids since then. Elam's life was no picnic either. I just really love what LW turned into.

DevoGator

Founding Member
Grip it Good
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
really hard to leave Jarvis Williams and Louis Oliver off this team for me but a lot of great safeties here

DevoGator

Founding Member
Grip it Good
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Hate to sound old fogie but those Pell defenses were the best we ever had

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n182922 said:
So you are done crying, and you are actually join the conversation then crying that people aren't be represented that are? If not, log off until your time month is over.
I've read this whole thread and your overreaction to his posts is pretty strange. I didn't think he said anything to warrant your attacks, unless there's some kind of personal history I'm not aware of. I don't really see you acting like this very often, so I'm a bit surprised.

If you are having a bad day you can PM me and I'll soothe you and make it all better.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n183603 said:
I've read this whole thread and your overreaction to his posts is pretty strange. I didn't think he said anything to warrant your attacks, unless there's some kind of personal history I'm not aware of. I don't really see you acting like this very often, so I'm a bit surprised.

If you are having a bad day you can PM me and I'll soothe you and make it all better.

826508146163284878.jpg

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
TheDouglas78;n182888 said:
No one ahead of Smith in my opinion... but in a two back offense, you could make arguments for Fred Taylor, Rhett, and N. Anderson. Some guys when we were in a run heavy offense might be as good, but I don't think there has been anyone who preformed like E. Smith did.
No argument here. Emmitt was the greatest runner in our history. But if you need a FB Johnell Williams was the man, James Jones was right there with him.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
DevoGator;n183056 said:
Hate to sound old fogie but those Pell defenses were the best we ever had
I think I said that in the Def thread. THey were bad ass. They made Bo Jackson go sit on the bench and hit Herschel harder than anyone,. Someone mentioned Todd Johnson, Helluva secondary player.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n183679 said:

Law, you know I love you but that post is way inappropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.