Foley and Spurrier

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
It seems to me having both of these guys hanging around the program is detrimental. Does any other college do this? All I read here is how Foley looking over the new guy's shoulder is bad... so, how can the same not be said for sos?
Foley and Spurrier are different kinds of people. I think Spurrier has a lot better sense of appropriate boundaries with what he contributes to Mac uninvited.

Foley, OTOH, has it built into his retirement that's not really retirement, that he will remaii involved with decision making, his chosen assistants will be retained, etc. Stricklin walks into a UAA dripping with Foley.and lose terminology on the extent of Foley's involvement. ( at least the part of contract we know about)

Spurrier comes into the program with Mac already the head coach, in a contract defined hands off capacity as far as coaching and advising of coaches goes.. The door is open for invitations from Mac for input, but it is not a looking over Mac's shoulder capacity.

Last edited:

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
In general I agree that having the ex whatever hanging around is not good for the new guy. In the case of Spurrier he last coached at UF 15 years ago so he is not the immediate ex-coach. I wonder how many people in the football program every even worked for Spurrier?

As for Foley, it is much more of a problem in my view. Just last week the staff of the AD answered to Foley, looked to Foley for what to do. Now someone else it in the job, but Foley is still there.
And not just as a defined hands off observer either. And just how long is the Foley hired staff immune to being replaced by Sticklin? A month? A year? Forever? Does it require Foley's approval to replace them?

I appreciate wanting your staff to not be penalized with job loss because you decide it's time to work less, but it could make for some insubordination or poor task performance when the new "boss" doesn't control if staff stays or goes.

Last edited:

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Just asking.... seems weird to me

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Having Spurrier around is a feel good for Gator Nation. But in no way does he meddle in football unless he is asked and even then I am not sure he would want to. Foley, on the other hand, is NOT a feel good for Gator Nation. He should take reasonable time to finish the transition and then move on. He has his golden parachute. Get. Go.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier being around is what is going to help get the big boosters to chip in for all these facility upgrades.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We should distance ourselves from all former Gators, so Mac and the new AD can start all over with building relationships with Gator Nation. They need to tear down those phvcking statues, too.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
In what way?

Ambassador who brings high profile spotlight to a dimming program. Should help bring in money to continue enhancements. If asked, provide insight to offensive football. He is a connection to a glorious past.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Was Mike Belotti staying at the Oregon program bad for Chip Kelly?

Was Barry Alvarez staying in Wisconsin bad for Bret Bielema
Oregon forced Belotti out less then a year later and Wisconsin can't keep a coach due to Alvarez and his meddling.

Part of me thinks the reason Mac is so on board with Spurrier is because he wants him to have his back and the losses pile up.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier's made it clear he has no intention of meddling in the team's affairs. I'm unclear whether Foley's shadow, having just retired, combined with the vague job description affords us the same assurance.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Belotti was run off, big time and all I hear about Wisky is that Alvarez is into everything when he shouldn't be. So yeah, I'd say yes.

This. Alvarez is a disaster at Wisconsin. He's why Bielema left and Anderson left. He forced "his" offense on both coaches and refused to pay for assistant coaches (which is one of the main reason Bielema took the Arkansas job). Cryst is a yes-man for Alvarez. It's worked out okay for them, however. But it's no secret that Anderson and Bielema left specifically because of Alvarez.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.