Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh, ****, it just hit me. This dude was the Offensive Coordinator for the Alabama team that ended Florida and Tebow's run in the SEC Championship game going on to win the National Championship against Texas and the next year won a rematch game against LSU for a second National Championship.

Not bad.

Then again he's no Butch Jones.

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
Looking at his OC/QB experience at BAMA...was 2008-2011. Did win NC's in 2009 and 2011. Had players like Ingram, Julio Jones, Hightower...so, he did
have some studs, but got it done with a managerial QB. And hopefully he sowed his HC learning at Colorado St. and can carry this forward with his experience
and be competitive again in Gville. He's played us a number of times, so he knows what he's getting into.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n123140 said:
Uhhhh...we offered more money...lol... so many people pimp us as having all these huge built in advantages but now we are going to down play them? We gave him more money and he had a better chance to win at UF. The guy is smarter than you guys are giving him credit and our school.

So, to follow your logic, it wasn't Machen who was responsible for the hire. Aannnndd since JF is responsible for the sales pitch, the job offer, contract negations and salaries and for procuring the funds to pay those salaries and like you said, UF practically sells itself... Machen (as Machen has said himself but doesn't follow the anti JF narrative) really had nothing to do with the hire.

Glad we agree. lol.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ReelGatorDoc;n123170 said:
Looking at his OC/QB experience at BAMA...was 2008-2011. Did win NC's in 2009 and 2011. Had players like Ingram, Julio Jones, Hightower...so, he did
have some studs, but got it done with a managerial QB. And hopefully he sowed his HC learning at Colorado St. and can carry this forward with his experience
and be competitive again in Gville. He's played us a number of times, so he knows what he's getting into.

And his O schooled our D. Three out four times. The last three in a row. That sucked.

BLACKCELL

Dec 1, 2014
Jim McElwain will revive a stagnant one dimensional offense at UF. He will bring athletes required to win in the SEC and revive offensive opportunistic recruits. I am excited for this hire as I have never felt that way for WM. Go Gators!

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Gatoravatara;n123163 said:
What about Freeze (who i consider Tier 2)? Mississippi schools are not destination schools, but stepping stone programs. I am sure for the right amount of money he would have left.

Because you are an expert on what motivates Hugh Freeze.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n123092 said:
Meyer did great things at Florida and we should be grateful. He tried to mentor those guys the best way he could. I'm sure there is a reason why Tebow and Hernadez were roommates. Just because you mentor does not mean that you are responsible for a person if they dont change. We had plenty of standup people on those teams. We had 4 who where issues. Muschamp on the other hand had less talent and less off the field issues. But sometime he went to far. Like after the Criminole game, he said he would have kicked that person off the team for shoving Rapiest. Usually you would get kicked off a team for violating team rules or something more serious. Most normal coaches would have just told him to sit out a game.

Meyer had way more than 4 people with issues. He has over 20 arrests if I remember correctly in his last year or two. Muschamp had 0 last year so there is a huge difference. Reports were that with Meyer the players were running the team. Reports of Percy Harvin punching a coach... different rules for different guys, etc...

Meyer did some great things on the field, but if you think he left us with anything other than a broken program and a huge hole to dig out of due to talent and just general character of player then you didn't pay attention. So while I am greatful for the two championships... a truly great hire wouldn't have left the team in such a bad situation.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Mybad;n123149 said:
Should there be any cause for concern that there has not been an announcement yet? I cannot decide if this is normal, or if there may be some buyout issues going on with CSU.

The president wasn't there last night and he is the only one who can negotiate the buy-out. They are probably working on that today. It's on the West Coast so they are behind us in time, so it wouldn't be until later in our day before things get started.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n123168 said:
Oh, ****, it just hit me. This dude was the Offensive Coordinator for the Alabama team that ended Florida and Tebow's run in the SEC Championship game going on to win the National Championship against Texas and the next year won a rematch game against LSU for a second National Championship.

Not bad.

Yeah he hasn't lost to Muschamp every time he played him!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n123196 said:
I am not an expert on Freeze, but I do know this. Nobody would leave his situation for $180K.

So should we overpay? We don't know that UF even made an offer, but let's say they offered 4.2... if we offered 5.. maybe Ole Miss offers 4.8? Freeze wanted to stay at Ole Miss because he wanted to stay at Ole Miss. If he wanted to come to UF and an offer was made he would have done it. He didn't want to come... it's not Foley's fault... the guy wants to stay in Mississippi ... so be it.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
ATXGator;n123202 said:
So should we overpay? We don't know that UF even made an offer, but let's say they offered 4.2... if we offered 5.. maybe Ole Miss offers 4.8? Freeze wanted to stay at Ole Miss because he wanted to stay at Ole Miss. If he wanted to come to UF and an offer was made he would have done it. He didn't want to come... it's not Foley's fault... the guy wants to stay in Mississippi ... so be it.

Exactly.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n123160 said:
I think he his better than the one we are going for. He actually beat the top teams in the best toughest in the country, despite having Mississippi talent. The other guy lost to the best teams in a weak conference, having the same type of talent as his opponents..

Again doesn't answer the question. Do you think he is a top 5 coach, because you want to give top 5 money. He best two top teams in the last two years. He also lost to teams that were just as middling as his. So yes, two games make his whole carreer at Ole Miss. If he didn't happen to beat Alabama his year at home, would you even care? What else do you have to prove he deserves to be paid as a top 5 coach. We aren't talking about the other guy. What makes Freeze a top 5 head coach in FBS?

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n123168 said:

Not bad.

God I hope he's no Butch Jones

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n123202 said:

vatara, wants to pay Freeze like a muliple NC winning coach, because he has shown the ability to do that, right?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n123174 said:
So, to follow your logic, it wasn't Machen who was responsible for the hire. Aannnndd since JF is responsible for the sales pitch, the job offer, contract negations and salaries and for procuring the funds to pay those salaries and like you said, UF practically sells itself... Machen (as Machen has said himself but doesn't follow the anti JF narrative) really had nothing to do with the hire.

Glad we agree. lol.

I was never arguing with you so i have no clue what you're talking about. It was pure coincidence that Machen came from Utah. There's zero connection.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n123196 said:
I am not an expert on Freeze, but I do know this. Nobody would leave his situation for $180K.

Still repeating this mantra huh? I thought Ole Miss, UF and ESPN all reported there was no meeting, no job offer with Freeze. Man you really latched on to that whole 180k after taxes thing like a pit bull. No one knows what specifics were mentioned. Is it possible Foley called an agent to gauge his interest and threw out a ballpark 4.2 - 4.3 number. Of course. But that would be just preliminary talks. But since they NEVER met, NEVER interviewed and NEVER offered a formal offer your whole 180K after taxes mantra is MEANINGLESS. Let it go already.

Maybe freeze told the agent 4 was enough for him to stay at his home, Ole Miss... Maybe Freeze threw out a ridiculous Nick Saban type number would be required to even consider talking and JF told him to go pound sand. You don't know.

And before you say the whole 'but someone said 4 and someone said 4.3 and the 4 was the exact number blah, blah blah' again, that's already been addressed so please come up with some new material. This is getting boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.