Foley is a boss

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How about giving Butters a raise and an extension?

Good point. I suppose if you’re looking for something, anything, that would be it. At the time, McElwain was 19-8 and had won back-to-back SEC East titles. After Muschamp, there was a brief feeling that maybe Mac was doing a good job, certainly better than Muschamp’s last two seasons in terms of wins/losses. The extension didn’t bother me at the time but it sure looks bad in hindsight. Mac was canned 3 months later.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
1. Muschamp was forgivable,
2. Mac was a total flop, really horrible hire.
3. Foley can always hold his head high for Meyer and Donovan.
4. Stricklin hasn’t made a bad move yet in my opinion.

1. Agreed whole heartedly
2. Agreed whole heartedly
3. Not so fast. Meyer was Machen's. HERE'S THE TRUTH BEHIND THE MEYER HIRING And it's well documented Donovan came despite Foley not because of him.
4. Not so fast. Most moves have been good moves. He did admit to not going after Mullen right away even though Mullen was by far the best choice, due to his MSU connection. Said it made him feel queasy, if I recall correctly. We were paying him big bucks to make the right decision for us. Not MSU, and not him personally. That is almost unforgivable in my opinion. Or at least a clear sign you do not have what it takes to be an AD at UF. It worked out luckily, but I can remember almost blowing a gasket when I read that. Florida's journey to a football coaching hire - GatorSports.com

Last edited:

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
1. Agreed whole heartedly
2. Agreed whole heartedly
3. Not so fast. Meyer was Machen's. HERE'S THE TRUTH BEHIND THE MEYER HIRING And it's well documented Donovan came despite Foley not because of him.
4. Not so fast. Most moves have been good moves. He did admit to not going after Mullen right away even though Mullen was by far the best choice, due to his MSU connection. Said it made him feel queasy, if I recall correctly. We were paying him big bucks to make the right decision for us. Not MSU, and not him personally. That is almost unforgivable in my opinion. Or at least a clear sign you do not have what it takes to be an AD at UF. It worked out luckily, but I can remember almost blowing a gasket when I read that. Florida's journey to a football coaching hire - GatorSports.com

3) Meyer has said many times that Foley, and his relationship with Foley, was critical in his becoming head coach. Meyer had an issue with Zook only getting 3 years and Foley assuaged that concern. Of course Machen was an instrumental part of the process, his knowledge of Meyer helped the situation entirely. But the idea that Foley was just a helpless, innocent bystander in the hiring is not accurate or fair to Foley.

4) I like Stricklin, I think he’s done an excellent job. His comment about being “queasy” pertained to his belief that snagging Mullen would really hurt Mississippi State as a program, and in hindsight he was exactly right about that. Most human beings who spent a lot of time and energy building something, in any business, would feel queasy about turning around and damaging it. If you want to hold it against him for not having that “killer instinct” or being a little too soft-hearted, I guess that’s fine, but I think it shows a good and decent quality in Stricklin.

Last edited:

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
3) Meyer has said many times that Foley, and his relationship with Foley, was critical in his becoming head coach. Meyer had an issue with Zook only getting 3 years and Foley assuaged that concern. Of course Machen was an instrumental part of the process, his knowledge of Meyer helped the situation entirely. But the idea that Foley was just a helpless, innocent bystander in the hiring is not accurate or fair to Foley.

4) I like Stricklin, I think he’s done an excellent job. His comment about being “queasy” pertained to his belief that snagging Mullen would really hurt Mississippi State as a program, and in hindsight he was a exactly right about that. Most human beings who spent a lot of time and energy building something, in any business, would feel queasy about turning around and damaging it. If you want to hold it against him for not having that “killer instinct” or being a little too soft-hearted, I guess that’s fine, but I think it shows a good and decent quality in Stricklin.
3) I think the championships we did get during his time were despite Foley. I think we have as few as we do because of Foley.

4) I don't believe it is a killer instinct issue. If you read that article, it states that the only reason it wasn't a one man race was due to his MSU connections. That, in my mind, is a complete breach of his duty. He doesn't have to be mean or "killer" about it. But he does have to make decisions that are solely based on the best interest of the institution paying him boatloads of money. In my mind, anything less is fraudulent.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
3) I think the championships we did get during his time were despite Foley. I think we have as few as we do because of Foley.

4) I don't believe it is a killer instinct issue. If you read that article, it states that the only reason it wasn't a one man race was due to his MSU connections. That, in my mind, is a complete breach of his duty. He doesn't have to be mean or "killer" about it. But he does have to make decisions that are solely based on the best interest of the institution paying him boatloads of money. In my mind, anything less is fraudulent.

So If I’m following you, Foley sucked ass and Stricklin was/is a fraudulent derelict.

Fine by me.

Which AD out there is meeting your standards?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

You people have to be total morons to believe that it was a "one man race" for a coach one year removed from another losing season that no other team on the planet wanted.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Because AD's are always honest about who their targets are and don't they always get the guy they wanted. If you think that was the reason he didn't go after Mullen first, I have Indian Ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Any of the ones who actually build facilitiies for their football team and dont hire coaches w losing conference records.
Honestly, you’re smarter than this. Not one AD in the country makes decisions on facilities. Those kind of expenditures are made by the president, UAA and big money boosters. The ADs have about as much input as the coaches do when it comes to spending that kind of money.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, you’re smarter than this. Not one AD in the country makes decisions on facilities. Those kind of expenditures are made by the president, UAA and big money boosters. The ADs have about as much input as the coaches do when it comes to spending that kind of money.
You really think what the President said was fvkk football, I want a huge expensive empty shrine to our baseball team!!!!

To celebrate the fact that they lose millions of dollars every year!!!!!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You really think what the President said was fvkk football, I want a huge expensive empty shrine to our baseball team!!!!

To celebrate the fact that they lose millions of dollars every year!!!!!
You really think those folks let an AD solely make those decisions? I’m sure the ADs give their opinion, but they ain’t making the call on massive projects.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@The Original DC Were you the one that used to give us all of our play by play break downs during spring practice?

We have had nobody to do that since you’ve been gone

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
You people have to be total morons to believe that it was a "one man race" for a coach one year removed from another losing season that no other team on the planet wanted.
I'm not saying it should have been a one man race. I'm quoting Stricklin, who said it would have been if not for his queasiness. Granted, it is a Dooley article. However, if those words came out of his mouth, whether they were true or not, it shows either: 1) a lack of character if true OR 2) a lack of intelligence, by making up a lie to tell a Gator sports writer that you just made the biggest decision of your career to date at UF based on the best interest of your former employer. The best case scenario for Stricklin is that Dooley made it up, which no doubt is a possibility. However, if the flagship paper's primary sportswriter printed that and it wasn't true, I believe I would have to correct it if I was being portrayed in that light.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So far, I’ve seen one suggestion; Larry Williams, who turned Portland and Marquette into Portland and Marquette. Beyond that, crickets.

So in other words, Foley-then-Stricklin maybe deserve some respect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.