Frank Gifford dies

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
7 days short of 85th birthday this a.m. at his Conn. home.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought he was already dead. A legend in football/announcing. Monday night football was at it's finest when Frank was part of the team.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
RIP. I will never forget those old MNF games.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Yeah they went through quite a few after that crew retired.
Dandy Don would start singing: "Turn out the lights - the party's over"
And give Howard the occasional kiss on the cheek or top of the head.
Frank always played the straight man.

Quite a few tried to fill their shoes (Tony Kornheiser, Dennis Miller, Gruden) but couldn't do it.

And to think Keith Jackson actually kicked it all off in 1970.
RIP Frank

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n258273 said:
MNF was never the same after those guys

Are you saying you weren't a fan of Gruden or Miller?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Who's Frank Gifford?

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n258352 said:
Who's Frank Gifford?

Always an ahole in the group.....

Rest easy Frank. You'll be missed.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
[youtube]o1EHius5Y88[/youtube]

Frank Gifford was an All-American at Southern Cal and an NFL Hall of Famer playing for the New York Giants. Number 16 caught many passes from former SEC quarterbacks Charley Connerly of Ole Miss and Y. A. Tittle of LSU. Frank Gifford was involved in one of the most iconic plays in NFL history when Chuck Badnarik of the Philadelphia Eagles knocked him unconscious. Gifford missed the rest of the season and all of the next season but came back to win the Comeback Player of the Year Award.

Gifford earned fame and stardom at Southern Cal. Because of his Hollywood good looks he became something of a glamour boy and appeared in a lot of television commercials. But he never got the big head maybe because he was raised by a poor family from Bakersfield. Gifford was a ball carrying halfback, pass receiver, and in his early pro football days played two-way as a defensive back. He earned the respect of his New York Giant teammates by his football ability and the respect he gave others.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ya know, sometimes it seems with each day, another piece of my childhood passes on. I can vividly remember arguing with my parents in the '70s to watch some of MNF and at most I'd get to watch until 9:30 (unless they weren't paying attention to the time - which might have gotten me to 9:45 or so). Those '70s rivalries, and the players back then, just somehow seem, better. Not better players per se - the guys today seem so much bigger and faster - it just seemed like a better time. And that MNF group - Frank, Don and Howard was the best. In fact, I can't remember the last time I bothered to watch MNF. It's just not an event anymore.

RIP, Gif. You surely seemed like one of the good guys.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Of course today's MNF isn't the same. Back then you could rely on the PSI of the footballs.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Okeechobee Joe;n258373 said:
[youtube]o1EHius5Y88[/youtube]

Frank Gifford was an All-American at Southern Cal and an NFL Hall of Famer playing for the New York Giants. Number 16 caught many passes from former SEC quarterbacks Charley Connerly of Ole Miss and Y. A. Tittle of LSU. Frank Gifford was involved in one of the most iconic plays in NFL history when Chuck Badnarik of the Philadelphia Eagles knocked him unconscious. Gifford missed the rest of the season and all of the next season but came back to win the Comeback Player of the Year Award.

Gifford earned fame and stardom at Southern Cal. Because of his Hollywood good looks he became something of a glamour boy and appeared in a lot of television commercials. But he never got the big head maybe because he was raised by a poor family from Bakersfield. Gifford was a ball carrying halfback, pass receiver, and in his early pro football days played two-way as a defensive back. He earned the respect of his New York Giant teammates by his football ability and the respect he gave others.
I was trying to remember who hit him with my friend tonite. All I could think of was Sam Huff but he was a Giant I think. Frank was the perfect moderator for Don and Howard. Great times back then

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Monday night, the Rat and MNF. Those were some good times. Thank God I didn't have any early Tuesday classes.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Frank stated many times he only had sex with two women in his entire life - his two wonderful wives. And he didn't touch either one of them until his wedding nights. The man showed remarkable restraint throughout his life, as he could have been with a lot of women.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.