Franks’ Improvement

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Right. And you try never to do that with a fresh or soph QB anyway.
Maybe Franks will shock me but we are now going to play the defenses that get some pressure even without blitzing. KY was the only team to do that so far and Franks was doing stupid things - not as bad as last year however.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
How many guys have we had at QB in the past few years who didn't go 12 TD and 2 INT when it was easy? That's not rhetorical, I'd like to know who has put up similar numbers beginning in '10 with the easy early schedule

If Mullen just runs it like most SEC coaches would have in those positions in our games Franks might have 1/2 that TD number. He was trying to build his confidence up.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The big plus is he is protecting the football well. He is not the long term answer at QB, but he's all we got right now.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Maybe Franks will shock me but we are now going to play the defenses that get some pressure even without blitzing. KY was the only team to do that so far and Franks was doing stupid things - not as bad as last year however.

At the same time I also saw him take his team 99 yards to make it a one score game.

He didn’t play great that night but he also had little help from anyone. Receivers dropping balls, OL getting no push or able to block a blitzer, and the defense getting gashed for 300 on the ground

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
If Mullen just runs it like most SEC coaches would have in those positions in our games Franks might have 1/2 that TD number. He was trying to build his confidence up.

I won't disagree with that, but knowing Mullen's system, Franks would have increased rushing TD's as well. No one is out here saying this guy is Danny, Rex, or Timmy, but to act like he's the exact same player we saw last year in Nuss' system is absurd. He also is in the first season of his life with an OC and QB coach. One thing that people bitched about last year and all off-season is how rare he threw the ball away and instead would take sacks or run out of bounds. Last night, he threw the ball away at least 3 times. Maybe not an improvement people want to admit or pay attention to, but its one to point to. Plus, yes, you do try and build a young QB's confidence, that is basic football.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know about you guys but I haven't seen this spectacular running attack some predicted for this season... and I don't expect to see it with this line (as they are currently playing).

Defenses are loading the box so we pass. Say what you want about Mullinz, but he does know how to count the defenders in the box. That is two steps more than Chimp anyway.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know about you guys but I haven't seen this spectacular running attack some predicted for this season... and I don't expect to see it with this line (as they are currently playing).

Defenses are loading the box so we pass. Say what you want about Mullinz, but he does know how to count the defenders in the box. That is two steps more than Chimp anyway.

Exactly what I would do if I were scheming for Florida. Load the box and dare Franks to beat me. It's going to be that way until we get better up front.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Leading the league in passing TDs, and none of them were those quick pitch jet sweeps like Bama ran to get Tua another "passing touchdown" yesterday. :rolleyes3:

He's vastly improved from last year, and that's almost entirely because of coaching. It'll be exciting to see what he can do after having a full year of this coaching in this offense under his belt. The main thing he still needs to concentrate on is not turning the ball over. Incomplete passes are ok, throwing the ball away is ok, taking the occasional sack is ok, interceptions and fumbles are not ok. He's been great from that aspect so far, which is about as much as we can ask him to do.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Leading the league in passing TDs, and none of them were those quick pitch jet sweeps like Bama ran to get Tua another "passing touchdown" yesterday. :rolleyes3:

He's vastly improved from last year, and that's almost entirely because of coaching. It'll be exciting to see what he can do after having a full year of this coaching in this offense under his belt. The main thing he still needs to concentrate on is not turning the ball over. Incomplete passes are ok, throwing the ball away is ok, taking the occasional sack is ok, interceptions and fumbles are not ok. He's been great from that aspect so far, which is about as much as we can ask him to do.
I'd like for us to run more quick pitch jet sweeps and WR screens to take some pressure off of him. Franks is clearly improving but he has a ways to go. The play calling isn't always helping. Sometimes Mullen asks him to do too much. But maybe that's intentional to help him learn.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Great points in this thread. I’ve stated numerous times that we are in such a throw away mindset that we forget this kid is a RSSoph. Go back and watch some of DW in his early ‘94 season and you’ll see a lot of the same erratic play. Players, like teams, can and often do grow.

Really proud of Franks for his effort and trying make this offense work. I’m not even totally convinced he isn’t the future.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Total rushing yards may be less than expected but YPC has been pretty good for every back. Our OL pass blocks better than blocks so that is also a factor. I suspect we may try harder to establish the ground game in the upcoming weeks.

Pierce is averaging a mind blowing 11.3 ypc. DM sooner or later is going to put the freakin ball in his hands. The time should be now! I said it all week. This kid is special. He’s our leading rusher and missed one game. I think his running will take Franks up at least one more notch.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I feel like he has improved and Franks and Mullen both deserve credit. It's also the easiest part of the schedule. Our 3 wins are against really bad teams. It will be interesting to see how Franks does vs some tougher teams.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As long as Franks can be coached to not lose games for us by forcing throws into coverage, much of which caused by him locking on to his primary, then he'll be serviceable until CDM can recruit & coach a better option.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I feel like he has improved and Franks and Mullen both deserve credit. It's also the easiest part of the schedule. Our 3 wins are against really bad teams. It will be interesting to see how Franks does vs some tougher teams.

Yeah, he worries me some but I am pleasantly surprised at the success Mullen has had with him so far. I pretty much wrote him off at the end of last season. Its times like this that I enjoy being wrong.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greatly improved

Still reverts to old habits when pressured

I still don't think he makes quick decisions

And I know I'm a broken record but did you see how quick the ball left TRASK'S hand?

I wish Mullen would have let Trask play a QTR.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Greatly improved

Still reverts to old habits when pressured

I still don't think he makes quick decisions

And I know I'm a broken record but did you see how quick the ball left TRASK'S hand?

I wish Mullen would have let Trask play a QTR.

Playing a guy who a quarter would have done nothing but waste reps for our starter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.