Franks: Third biggest jump in passer rating for 2018

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
yes, they are rated lower, no doubt. just like fullbacks and a few other positions. they tend to affect the game less. some get great stats, 1000 yards rushing or whatever, but it comes at the expense of the running back yardage.

I'd say at the expense of the receivers ... but, its subjective and there is an argument for both ... whatevs

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Bc option QBs arent 5 star QBs
I was gonna call BS on this as I started looking back through the last few years and noticed Rivals had a least one 5* DT QB every year, but then I noticed some of the QBs they labeled "dual threat:" Will Grier? Jameis Winston? Shea Patterson? WTH? How do they decide what a DT is? From what I saw Trevor Lawrence runs better than any of those three, but he, rightfully, was a pro-style.
After Tebow, there were several 5*s who could be considered option QB capable, but their offenses weren't really set up that way. So I don't know what the reality is or why I even posted this.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
DT and option isn't the same. You can run QB draws etc with DT QBs. There are very few QBs you can run the option with. The defense may force the QB to run 30 times (if the DE covers the pitch man etc).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd say at the expense of the receivers ... but, its subjective and there is an argument for both ... whatevs
Some of that too. But what I meant is with Mullinz, the QB is almost always at least the second leading rusher.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Some of that too. But what I meant is with Mullinz, the QB is almost always at least the second leading rusher.

Yeah, but your comparing to option offenses. Pro offenses don't have option run once the play is snapped so the only real comparable is when the pass play breaks down and the pro offense QB has to run instead of throwing the ball. So, comparing option and DT QBs to pro style QBs, the difference is in the passing game. Hence ... receivers.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
DT and option isn't the same. You can run QB draws etc with DT QBs. There are very few QBs you can run the option with. The defense may force the QB to run 30 times (if the DE covers the pitch man etc).
I get all that. I was just trying to figure out who was an option QB in HS and who wasn't and there's not really an easy way to tell w/o watching film. There are some 5* guys who run/ran some spread option plays in college (Mond, Watson, etc.), but it does not seem like the 5* QBs go to full fledged spread option programs (other chatterers will no doubt correct me if warranted), though I will be curious to see how tOSU utilizes Fields.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Ok ...so what is the difference between a Option QB and a Dual Threat QB? There are a hundred different option offenses and probably over 90% (pulling that out of my butt) require a Dual Threat QB. I understand an option QB to be a glorified RB and a Pro Style (Pocket Passer) as thrower who can't run to save his life ... and a Dual Threat QB as a passer who can run to save his life. Terminology is wonky. Option is an offense and Dual is a characteristic.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Ok ...so what is the difference between a Option QB and a Dual Threat QB? There are a hundred different option offenses and probably over 90% (pulling that out of my butt) require a Dual Threat QB. I understand an option QB to be a glorified RB and a Pro Style (Pocket Passer) as thrower who can't run to save his life ... and a Dual Threat QB as a passer who can run to save his life. Terminology is wonky. Option is an offense and Dual is a characteristic.

Maybe it's like Jurassic Park and the T-rex...

If you move it'll eat you,
If you run, you're a 4 star.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I think DT is now the new term for Option when discussing the skill set.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was gonna call BS on this as I started looking back through the last few years and noticed Rivals had a least one 5* DT QB every year, but then I noticed some of the QBs they labeled "dual threat:" Will Grier? Jameis Winston? Shea Patterson? WTH? How do they decide what a DT is? From what I saw Trevor Lawrence runs better than any of those three, but he, rightfully, was a pro-style.
After Tebow, there were several 5*s who could be considered option QB capable, but their offenses weren't really set up that way. So I don't know what the reality is or why I even posted this.

From what I've seen I would not rank Lawrence better than anyone other than Winston and I don't think he's better than Winston.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm thrilled for Franks (and for Gator Nation) that he made such great progress. I think most of this progress was eliminating most of the terrible plays and Mullen game-planning / play calling him into his stronger plays. I think the test this year will be can he grow more - can he get better at live reads and elevate his decision making more.

I hope he can and I'm really glad that Mullen is still here if he can't.

Congrats FF!

:chomp:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The best part is Mullen strongly believes it takes a QB to be in his 2nd season to truly master his offense. FF and EJ will be even better in 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.