Franks: Third biggest jump in passer rating for 2018

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I think we pretty much got our first choices including Urban Meyer's first choice last year, EJ.

I am hoping that EJ didn't make more of a splash last year because Coach was too busy installing an offense and Franks experience allowed him to get farther with the offense instead of having freshman QB tutelage added to the list. If that isn't the case, I expect JJ to make some waves and/or Franks to have a break out season. Not saying I am giving up on EJ at all, but just thinking Coach has larger margins to operate in next season with respect to the QB position as compared to last season.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The best part is Mullen strongly believes it takes a QB to be in his 2nd season to truly master his offense. FF and EJ will be even better in 2019.

I would say that is all qb regardless of offensive system. The first year is getting to know the offense, the second is mastering it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I would say that is all qb regardless of offensive system. The first year is getting to know the offense, the second is mastering it.
we probably weren't even operating with a full playbook until the bowl game.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Mullenz doesnt play freshmen QBs. End of story.

I am not sure if that is a law for him or not, but it probably is a good rule to have anyways. However, I think if he wasn't in year one installing a new offense for everyone he probably would be a lot more open to playing a freshman QB.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm pretty pleased with the improvements Franks made last year and quite Frankly(sorry about that)I'm pretty sure we'll see even better passing stats from him this year. Two reasons for that should be his growing threat as a runner....meaning our WR's should see more zone coverage.....and 2, I think Mullen is growing more comfortable calling downfield shots with Grimes and Jefferson....Don't think he'll ever be All Conference but this guy could end up being a helluva lot better than 90% of us thought he would.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
It’ll be interesting to see how franks improves next season. Timmy was good for 2700-3200 passing yards and 700-900 rushing yards a year. Dak exploded in his second full starting season - was good for 3449/3793 passing and 986/588 his JR/SR seasons. Those two are as good as it gets operating Mullen’s offense. FF was 2457/350 this season. Think it’s unreasonable to hope he grows into a 3000/600 guy? With our skill players, that would be a pretty good season on offense as a whole.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Agree but in those 3 circumstances those programs had amassed super talented supporting players that would have probably carried even an average(Hurts) QB to titles. We don't have that luxury yet. That said if there's a Freshmen out there good enough to start in our system with our surrounding players then yes you should be playing them.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It’ll be interesting to see how franks improves next season. Timmy was good for 2700-3200 passing yards and 700-900 rushing yards a year. Dak exploded in his second full starting season - was good for 3449/3793 passing and 986/588 his JR/SR seasons. Those two are as good as it gets operating Mullen’s offense. FF was 2457/350 this season. Think it’s unreasonable to hope he grows into a 3000/600 guy? With our skill players, that would be a pretty good season on offense as a whole.
I've been told we run the option so 1000 yards passing would be one helluva season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.