FSU hires Cornrow Norvell from bottom feeder Memphis

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Norvell has won more games in a season at Memphis in school history twice, which includes this 11-1 year. Jury's out as to whether he'll be a great coach, but he's no slouch. Only a good coach can accomplish what he has done so far.

Hopefully he is another Scott Frost.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don’t you just love these arguments where either side bends over backward to say nasty things about the coaches they hate, and yet never offer a hint about who they love?

:lol:

@maheo: Red flags all. Not sure they make it into serious red flag territory. FSU has to pick someone soon and the list is dwindling.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm personally hoping norvells family wants to stay close to the area they're living in. Probably the only way he'd take the ole miss job over the fsu job. Maybe more money or a bigger buyout, idk.
Also, cant help but wonder what kind of skeletons are in his closet. He hasn't gotten mentioned on many coaching searches until now. Tennessee didn't even give him a chance to publicly turn them down.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm personally hoping norvells family wants to stay close to the area they're living in. Probably the only way he'd take the ole miss job over the fsu job. Maybe more money or a bigger buyout, idk.
Also, cant help but wonder what kind of skeletons are in his closet. He hasn't gotten mentioned on many coaching searches until now. Tennessee didn't even give him a chance to publicly turn them down.

Norvell is locked in at Nulls

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Norvell is locked in at Nulls
You don't know crap, and neither does anyone else. Get off the useless pay sites. You channeling your inner jmskjrgator? Remember what happened to him?

6ZxHhwL.gif

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You don't know crap, and neither does anyone else. Get off the useless pay sites. You channeling your inner jmskjrgator? Remember what happened to him?

6ZxHhwL.gif

Garonteed.....just watch....

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If it's not him, you get a month off.

Instead of sending money to those crappy sites, how about sending some my way? You spend 18 hours a day on here.

No sites....inside board member info.....I really don’t give a fck about who they hire

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Garonteed.....just watch....

Why is Newburg, someone with contacts within, still discussing other candidates? You think in this day and age a deal could be “done”, yet kept quiet for a week plus? And what advantage would the noles—his new employer—have in allowing him to hold off on making it public until after the weekend? Nice for the kids, sure. But you’re on fsu payroll now, and would be giving yourself (an unknown in FL)and the school a week to save a spiraling recruiting class? Even Foley wasn’t dumb enough to agree to that.

They may get him. But nothings done.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why is Newburg, someone with contacts within, still discussing other candidates? You think in this day and age a deal could be “done”, yet kept quiet for a week plus? And what advantage would the noles—his new employer—have in allowing him to hold off on making it public until after the weekend? Nice for the kids, sure. But you’re a ron fsu payroll now, and would be giving yourself (an unknown in FL)and the school a week to save a spiraling recruiting class? Even Foley wasn’t dumb enough to agree to that.

They may get him. But nothings done.

Optics....but you know that.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Optics....but you know that.

The optics are that they’re about to have the least amount of talent they’ve had on a roster in a decade. Clemson is lapping them a second time, we’re passing them and so are the canes. Standing by and watching that so that Memphis can win a conference title, is ludicrous. As I said, Meyer was announced immediately. As was Smart, Mullen, etc. And the first two cases predated the ENSD. If you want to coach your old team once more, so be it. But you’re on our team now and better start working to correct your new problems.

That’s insane if true.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The optics are that they’re about to have the least amount of talent they’ve had on a roster in a decade. Clemson is lapping them a second time, we’re passing them and so are the canes. Standing by and watching that so that Memphis can win a conference title, is ludicrous. As I said, Meyer was announced immediately. As was Smart, Mullen, etc. And the first two cases predated the ENSD. If you want to coach your old team once more, so be it. But you’re on our team now and better start working to correct your new problems.

That’s insane if true.
They'll have basically a week before the dead period starts. They decided it would be prudent to hold off and I can only assume not tell their commits, because if they did, we'd hear about it already. I think Sexton is Norvell's agent, so nothing is done until it's announced.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
They'll have basically a week before the dead period starts. They decided it would be prudent to hold off and I can only assume not tell their commits, because if they did, we'd hear about it already. I think Sexton is Norvell's agent, so nothing is done until it's announced.

I get that part of it. But what are they gaining by holding off? No question the recruits would spill it. I’m just saying if it’s done, who cares who knows? I’d want the world to see we stopped the bleeding, AACCG or not.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
No sites....inside board member info.....I really don’t give a fck about who they hire
I sure hope this is true, it would be a great hire...for us. I can't find one positive in Norvell that would indicate that he would have anything better than a .500 record at FSU. His only head coaching experience is in a weak azz, non-power five conference and while he does have a solid record at Memphis, it's not like he took over a team that was in the dumps. Fuente had a 19-6 record at Memphis before his departure so he built a solid foundation for Norvell to ride. If Norvell ended up being hired by the Nulls, he'd be taking over a program that defines the term "in shambles" and has absolutely no experience or ties in recruiting the state of Florida. This is a huge negative that cannot be overlooked or under-emphasized.

The other issue with Norvell is that coaches like him who coach in the AAC or other non-power five conferences is that they rarely, if ever deal with assistance coaching or player attrition. They typically keep their staffs intact and rarely lose players early to the the NFL draft or transfers. Will Norvell be a step up from Willie? Maybe, but that's like saying I'd rather be punched in my sac instead of kicked.

Last edited:

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I think Sexton is Norvell's agent...
He is and Norvell is 100% in the driver's seat when it comes to negotiations. No doubt they are pitting the Ole Miss job against the Nulls and vice versa, greatly increasing his potential salary, buyout, incentives and other responsibilities. The Nulls are so fvkked and it's glorious.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I get that part of it. But what are they gaining by holding off? No question the recruits would spill it. I’m just saying if it’s done, who cares who knows? I’d want the world to see we stopped the bleeding, AACCG or not.
Oh I agree with you, my post was more of mocking their stupidity.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I sure hope this is true, it would be a great hire...for us. I can't find one positive in Norvell that would indicate that he would have anything other than a .500 record at FSU. His only head coaching experience is in a weak azz, non-power five conference and while he does have a solid record at Memphis, it's not like he took over a team that was in the dumps. Fuente had a 19-6 record at Memphis before his departure so he built a solid foundation for Norvell to ride. If Norvell ended up being hired by the Nulls, he'd be taking over a program that defines the term "in shambles" and has absolutely no experience or ties in recruiting the state of Florida. This is a huge negative that cannot be overlooked or under-emphasized.

The other issue with Norvell is that coaches like him who coach in the AAC or other non-power five conferences is that they rarely, if ever deal with assistance coaching or player attrition. They typically keep their staffs intact and rarely lose players early to the the NFL draft or transfers. Will Norvell be a step up from WiLLLLLLLie? Maybe, but that's like saying I'd rather be punched in my sac instead of kicked.

Fuentes was 19-6...2 years.....solid foundation?....Norvell was at ASU at least 4 years, maybe more....wtf...idk...Young, good coaches are in very short supply these days. It ain’t like it used to be before everyone got a trophy...

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He is and Norvell is 100% in the driver's seat when it comes to negotiations. No doubt they are pitting the Ole Miss job against the Nulls and vice versa, greatly increasing his potential salary, buyout, incentives and other responsibilities. The Nulls are so fvkked and it's glorious.
And no one is mentioning Arky. I visited the Arky site and they are strongly considering Kiffin. Maybe Norvell just isn't interested, but Arky is fairly close to Memphis, so he'd have recruiting ties there.

But yeah, Sexton is going to juice this and he knows that Norvell is the last decent hire FSU can make at this point. I can't wait to hear the buyout numbers after the Willie crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator