Game by possession

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Drive 1 Punt, 9 plays - Drive killed by Pee-rine fumble and an incomplete pass (Drop?)
Drive 2 TD, 11 plays - TD pass
Drive 3 FG, - 14 plays - Points taken off board. 4th and dumb
Drive 4 Punt, 4 plays - two incomplete (Drops?)
Drive 5 FG, 9 plays - Penalty stalled drive
Half Time
Drive 6 Punt, 6 plays - Drop by Mark Thompson
Drive 7 Punt, 5 plays - Penalty killed drive
Drive 8 FG, 6 plays - Holding penalty stalled drive
Drive 9 TD, 5 plays
Drive 10 FG, 8 plays - Stalled by incomplete pass
End of Game

10 Drives, 6 ended in points. On the drives that we didn't score two were killed by 15 yard penalties. One was stalled by a fumble and another by a dropped pass.
Remove the drops and penalties and we score on every drive. Silver Lining They didn't stop us, WE stopped us.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Hmmm... very interesting take. In general I would say that scoring on 60% of our drives would be acceptable but dang that was one hard game to watch last night. It was obvious that we were shooting ourselves in the foot but it didn't make me feel any better.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The game was not 'that' bad. Many positives over end of last year. Watch any of the last 6 games last year.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The problem with this thread is that it was freaking UMass. No need to candy coat it. We all saw it. It was a **** show.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Hmmm... very interesting take. In general I would say that scoring on 60% of our drives would be acceptable but dang that was one hard game to watch last night. It was obvious that we were shooting ourselves in the foot but it didn't make me feel any better.
Perspective. We all expected to light the score board up on long plays and maybe we should have. But all-n-all it was a little hard too watch but nothing like the Mustank years.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of intangibles as you listed with this game. It was nice to get a W. Many other SEC teams wish they had one of those. Pretty vanilla game and a lot to get corrected for next week. UF did stop themselves much of the night.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Like a Tennessee thread. But, but, but…delusions of grandeur.

I get that we don't want to go all nuts here, but to act like anything last night was less than a shyt show is ridiculous.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The game was not 'that' bad. Many positives over end of last year. Watch any of the last 6 games last year.

Yeah, but what about the first 6 games. Is there any reason the offense should be worse with more experience?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Like a Tennessee thread. But, but, but…delusions of grandeur.

I get that we don't want to go all nuts here, but to act like anything last night was less than a shyt show is ridiculous.
We scored on 6 of 10 drives. That's not a **** show 2011-2014 was a **** show.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, but what about the first 6 games. Is there any reason the offense should be worse with more experience?
QB is one reason. Loss of confidence is another. Weak is weak even with experience

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
QB is one reason. Loss of confidence is another. Weak is weak even with experience
Yeah, I remember one year they were claiming Kintucky would have a good (by their standards) season because they returned 20 starters. This year it was Dobbs and Brandon Harris.

Mediocre or bad players dont get better just bc 12months passed.

This is the least talented Gator team since the 70s and it shows. And it gets even worse the next two years, at least.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was expecting more from the offense but I can understand why things didn't go as expected. Despite the normal bitching and moaning from "entitled" Gator Fans, I think this team has the potential to win 10 games this year. I'll be happy with improvement and growth after ever win. After the loses, I won't come to this board. My sanity is too valuable to me.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
A lot of intangibles as you listed with this game. It was nice to get a W. Many other SEC teams wish they had one of those. Pretty vanilla game and a lot to get corrected for next week. UF did stop themselves much of the night.

There was nothing "vanilla". When you're a pick six or punt return for TD away from being behind by 4 points you don't play "vanilla". We had a 3 point lead w/ 10 minutes to go in the game. NO ONE was playing "vanilla"!

My biggest problem w/ the OP is Drive #1:

Why was a TRUE FRESHMAN RB in on the very first drive? We played 4 RBs on that first drive. The coaches got cocky and cute....and the fumble killed the drive. It's inexcusable. Get a 2 or 3 TD lead on a team like UMass THEN put in a true freshman. Not in Game 1 on Drive 1. Stupid, immature, cocky coaching.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
According to Del Rio, UMASS knew our OL is so porous that they wouldn't have to blitz. Therefore, they could just sit back, keep everything in front of them and force us into dink and dunk pass plays and short runs courtesy of no OL push.

"You get some teams that kind of play risk reward, they try to all-out pressure you and say you won’t throw it over our head. They did a good job of bringing four- and five-men pressures and playing a zone behind it."

Better teams will be able to bring tons of pressure with four or five guys, not just hold on like UMASS did.

If there is a severe sophomore slump from this team and staff, I just hope the program can rebound quickly from it in the recruiting season, but a poor showing will make it extremely tough and we will STILL be incredibly young and looking to fill holes going into next season as well.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
There was nothing "vanilla". When you're a pick six or punt return for TD away from being behind by 4 points you don't play "vanilla". We had a 3 point lead w/ 10 minutes to go in the game. NO ONE was playing "vanilla"!

My biggest problem w/ the OP is Drive #1:

Why was a TRUE FRESHMAN RB in on the very first drive? We played 4 RBs on that first drive. The coaches got cocky and cute....and the fumble killed the drive. It's inexcusable. Get a 2 or 3 TD lead on a team like UMass THEN put in a true freshman. Not in Game 1 on Drive 1. Stupid, immature, cocky coaching.

THIS! I have no problem getting young guys reps and experience. However this is supposed to happen AFTER you have built a comfortable lead. For Mac allegedly being a offensive genius he has made some silly decisions like playing the five RB's and rotating Grier and Treon for several games last year.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
If ifs and buts...

687206e72776542337e52655e4f70a73.jpg

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Drive 1 Punt, 9 plays - Drive killed by Pee-rine fumble and an incomplete pass (Drop?)
Drive 2 TD, 11 plays - TD pass
Drive 3 FG, - 14 plays - Points taken off board. 4th and dumb
Drive 4 Punt, 4 plays - two incomplete (Drops?)
Drive 5 FG, 9 plays - Penalty stalled drive
Half Time
Drive 6 Punt, 6 plays - Drop by Mark Thompson
Drive 7 Punt, 5 plays - Penalty killed drive
Drive 8 FG, 6 plays - Holding penalty stalled drive
Drive 9 TD, 5 plays
Drive 10 FG, 8 plays - Stalled by incomplete pass
End of Game

10 Drives, 6 ended in points. On the drives that we didn't score two were killed by 15 yard penalties. One was stalled by a fumble and another by a dropped pass.
Remove the drops and penalties and we score on every drive. Silver Lining They didn't stop us, WE stopped us.
That's some good analysis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.