Gator Hoops adds some firepower

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He avg 8 and 2? Seems like we are taking anything we can get as of late. Kinda odd.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In general, I don't have high expectations for undergrad transfers. The usual reason for leaving is "not getting enough PT" at the old school, and you'd hope we're never so devoid of talent that newcomers would win starting positions by default. OTOH, somebody with some college training and video (and grades from the classroom) is probably less of a gamble than a high-schooler. And the transfer's role in year one is crystal clear to everyone: bust your butt in practice and get no actual PT.

DFS was a most pleasant exception to this generality.
IDK, we've been pretty successful with what I believe are our last 5 transfers, getting good solid players with 3 out of 5.
+Rosario (Rutgers) - definitely a positive - I loved Mikey Ro - he was All-SEC 2nd Team his senior year
+Macklin (Gtown) - Vernon was a solid player for us (averaged 11 and 5 both years) - started 71 consecutive games
++DFS - (VaTech) - by far the best transfer I can remember, hands down
-Murph2 - (Duke) unfortunately he's a negative as he only played one semester while eating up 2 years worth of scholarship due to transfer rules and injuries
--Harris (USCe) - double negative as he was just a head case that didn't understand the opportunity he was given

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
image.png
I'll take Goodman at his word when he calls himself quality pickup.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He avg 8 and 2? Seems like we are taking anything we can get as of late. Kinda odd.
I agree that his stats don't look that impressive, but he only averaged 16 minutes as freshman and 20 minutes as a sophomore.
He has potential and maybe a year of sitting out and learning Coach White's system will help as well - from the ESPN article:
Hudson appeared in 67 games in two seasons, including 27 starts, and at times showed potent scoring ability. He scored 23 points in a victory against NC State, 27 points in a loss to Louisville and 28 in the Hokies' NIT victory against Princeton.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-transfer-virginia-tech-hokies-florida-gators

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that his stats don't look that impressive, but he only averaged 16 minutes as freshman and 20 minutes as a sophomore.
He has potential and maybe a year of sitting out and learning Coach White's system will help as well - from the ESPN article:
Hudson appeared in 67 games in two seasons, including 27 starts, and at times showed potent scoring ability. He scored 23 points in a victory against NC State, 27 points in a loss to Louisville and 28 in the Hokies' NIT victory against Princeton.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-transfer-virginia-tech-hokies-florida-gators

How dare you look on the bright side of things!

:ban:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He's had some big games for va tech. I guess there was just no consistency. Looks like a decent shooter and he's fairly athletic.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Whenceforth thine criticism? How many games did we have a 20+ scored by a player in the game over
the last 2 years... just one or two times ?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Nice little clip of him

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
IDK, we've been pretty successful with what I believe are our last 5 transfers, getting good solid players with 3 out of 5. ....

I probably would have forgotten Harris, but you left out Eli Carter I believe. It is somewhat of a close call but I would argue Carter makes it 3 out of 6.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Whenceforth thine criticism? How many games did we have a 20+ scored by a player in the game over
the last 2 years... just one or two times ?

Finney-Smith had 12 20 points or more games.
Allen had 3
Egbunu had 2
Hill had 1
Carter had 3
Frazier had 4

That is a total of 25 times and I may not have gotten all of them.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I guess Shaka smart is pretty desperate too.

To me I wonder about UF taking this many scoring guards. I guess Barry and Hunter will never play together. Still Allen, Hunter, Hester, Ballard and by some sources Alexander are all SG thought some claim Barry and Ballard will be midget SFs.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
To me I wonder about UF taking this many scoring guards. I guess Barry and Hunter will never play together. Still Allen, Hunter, Hester, Ballard and by some sources Alexander are all SG thought some claim Barry and Ballard will be midget SFs.
Alexander may be listed as a combo guard some places but from what I gather, he's a pure pass first pg. I kinda like that we're going after bigger guards that can score. I don't have any issues with how the roster is being put together. My biggest concern is on court coaching.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
8.4 points in 20 minutes is good. That's 16.8 per 40 which is about the same as kevaughn (17.1). He does need to take better care of the basketball... Another lousy assist to turnover ratio.

Personally I think it's good that we're filling out the roster. Billy never seemed to use all 13 scholarships and that bit us in the ass on occasion when guys got hurt or didn't live up to their star ranking.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Don't know if this has been mentioned but now if Murph gets his 6th year, he'd be coming back as a walk-on. I wouldn't mind this at all.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Aren't the points per possession the number of points the team scores per possession when the player is on the floor?

Nope,

"Offensive Rating
In Dean's words, "Individual offensive rating is the number of points produced by a player per hundred total individual possessions. In other words, 'How many points is a player likely to generate when he tries?'"

The basic building blocks of the Offensive Rating calculation are Individual Total Possessions and Individual Points Produced. The formula for Total Possessions is broken down into four components: Scoring Possessions, Missed FG Possessions, Missed FT Possessions, and Turnovers."

http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ratings.html

BTW, Hudson's offensive rating is not very good. So while his traditional scoring numbers, 8 points in 20 minutes are quite good in UF terms, he used up a lot of possessions to get those 8 points and will need to be more efficient at UF.

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I probably would have forgotten Harris, but you left out Eli Carter I believe. It is somewhat of a close call but I would argue Carter makes it 3 out of 6.
Agreed, 3 of 6. I left Carter out (oops! :bandit:) and he was a bust with all the injury time he had, essentially eating a scholarship while he was here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.