Gatorchatter Gumball Machine

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'd ask why you painted it Auburn colors, but we already know.

Does appear to have great quality work, though. I'll give you that.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'd ask why you painted it Auburn colors, but we already know.
I would think you know what the colors are for our Gators, but you've been getting quite senile.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
“Tuscarora!”

989.gif

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That’s really cool, Ox. Believe it or not, I had a grandfather who was in the gum-ball and stamps business for close to half a century. I still have an old one buried away that is a 1 cent machine. Weighs about 75lbs.

As GW said, the trick now is to find classic gum balls—pure sugar, flavor gone in under 5 minutes, and green that actually means “lime”, not watermelon or commie sour apple.

So this is your best fix up to date.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This isn't on par with my other restorations.....I didn't even bother to film any of it. It's a modern machine, I just took it apart, painted it, and put it back together.

In the background you can see my 1936 butcher scale - THAT was my best restoration to date, and over 225,000 views on YouTube backs that up. This one video got me 2,100+ subscribers alone.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Outstanding. Good detail.
Orange & Blue runs deep, everything is improved by these colors.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Two minutes in: God, is this ever tedious. Who would watch this??
Twenty-nine minutes in: Me, I guess. :dunno:

That was oddly mesmerizing.
That was me, watching these kinds of videos for years. Finally I just decided that I would do it myself. There's a tremendous satisfaction watching something old and forgotten be brought back to life.

I replaced the little spring in the lug-locking mechanism in the handle of the bayonet, because the old one was corroded. @oxrageous did you replace the spring in that scale, or is that the original one that you put back on at the end?

When you're restoring something is it acceptable to replace parts such as springs that are subject to wear and tear, or no?
All original parts went back into the scale, which still worked perfectly after 83 years. It would be acceptable if it was a part that was no longer functioning or unsafe, but if the original part works there's no reason to change it out. The more original the better.

By the way, I have 14 more videos. Watch every single one of them or face a ban.

https://www.youtube.com/c/OneMansJunk/videos

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.