Gator Basketball Gators beat Mercer 71-63

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Somebody give some positives to take into Saturday.

We scored over 70; we had players step up at the end to ice the game from the FT line (probably the best thing tbh); and continued above-average defensive play.

Beyond that...got nothing. Our seniors play like freshman: Hudson coming in toward the end of the game with us up 10...and they promptly go on a run after a few bad shots and poor defensive effort by him; and Hayes had a dumb foul with about 2 minutes to have them get to the line for a 3pt play and cutting into the lead (I believe their guy missed the FT, but shouldn't be making that mistake as a senior). In fairness to Hayes, he had a great defensive play to halt their run with a minute left, but the above foul could have hurt us against a better team.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Huge WIN against a quality team that BEAT DUKE a few years ago in the tourney. Locke hits 5 3s in rout to 18 points. Nembhard 10 points, 7 assists and 4/4 fts. Allen another stellar game with 15 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists. He is having a huge SR season. HAYES a monster all game with 8 points, 11 rebounds and 5 BLOCKS. Gators defense really fighting and playing hard. Go Gators!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We need to continue to improve using Stokes and Hayes as inside men, continue letting Locke shoot 3s, get Ballard back in form, let Allen play his better game, use KJohnson steadily, and forget Hudson please.

Best team may be Nembhard, Allen, Hayes, Locke, Stokes, Ballard, Stone, KJohnson = 8 guys in major minutes. Totally forget Hudson. Great if we can get Chase Johnson to play right and great if we can get GaK in playing form. We deserve to have our whole team contributing by when SEC play starts.

I thought Allen looked more relaxed out there with Locke dropping 3s in a timely manner. Keep those two teaming and we could count on 30+ from those two (encouraging). Hayes should be able to do more, Stokes too, using Nembhard's assists. Get a real team going, coach White.

Last edited:

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
We need to continue to improve using Stokes and Hayes as inside men, continue letting Locke shoot 3s, get Ballard back in form, let Allen play his better game, use KJohnson steadily, and forget Hudson please.

Best team may be Nembhard, Allen, Hayes, Locke, Stokes, Ballard, Stone, KJohnson = 8 guys in major minutes. Totally forget Hudson. Great if we can get Chase Johnson to play right and great if we can get GaK in playing form. We deserve to have our whole team contributing by when SEC play starts.

I thought Allen looked more relaxed out there with Locke dropping 3s in a timely manner. Keep those two teaming and we could count on 30+ from those two (encouraging). Hayes should be able to do more, Stokes too, using Nembhard's assists. Get a real team going, coach White.
I'd really love to see Stokes and Hayes in at the same time

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'd really love to see Stokes and Hayes in at the same time

With White & the boys pushing their use. Even "in-back-out" passes gets the defense stumbling. Drill it into them (at practices) to fiercely grip the ball so tight that only a foul could knock it loose.Time to fully break away from showing opponents that we can be easily thwarted into being a team just lollygagging around the far off perimeter. Let's Go Gators. I know I'm ready. The SEC is awaiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.