Gator Basketball Gators blow late double-digit lead, lose to Kentucky at home

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There are several weaknesses in this team ... with White & crew unable to correct ... maybe unable to see it even.
The blindness on recognizing that "talls" manipulating those 65% FGs is what controls the scoring. A coach never just shrugs his shoulders and declares for everyone, including his players, to hear : "I don't know what else to do?" and coaching near close-out pep-talks of "shoot, shoot, shoot" ?

Is it the right move to have no expectations of the HC of a major school's major sports program.
Poor speed on passes, poor speed on repositioning dash movements, standing like a spectator of uninvolvement, etc. Is White saying "it's the players' flaws. I don't know what else to do to handle it."? I rejoice at the incoming of 5-stars, but I want them to get the best coaching and White ain't that. He'll get 50% of their worth out of them, and that's not fair to fans or to those players. UF is pursuing CBBall inadequacy and we're paying $2 million for it.
Without saying fire White, the coaching needs a shakeup, a shakeup for the better.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
Serious question: If Mike White and the Gators suck so badly, how did they manage to have a late lead against the #1 and #7 teams in the country? Wouldn't a team that really sucks be losing pretty much from wire-to-wire?

I agree that Gators are lacking offensively in many ways (lack of offensive bigs, lack of creativity by guards, lack of movement by everyone, etc), but for the past couple of games or so, I've seen more movement without the ball, more inside scoring attempts, and better overall effort than we saw previously. When we've had our scoring droughts has been when we reverted back to no movement without the ball. Is the consensus that White is telling them to stand still and wait around? (which runs contrary to what White was telling them while miked up today)

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Painfully stupid take

How many times do we run actual offense to get guys open? Rarely. Most of our offense is pull jumpers. You basically admitted to it in your post and I'm not sure if I'm missing the sarcasm or if the take really is just that bad

2nd part of my post was sarcasm :lol:

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Serious question: If Mike White and the Gators suck so badly, how did they manage to have a late lead against the #1 and #7 teams in the country? Wouldn't a team that really sucks be losing pretty much from wire-to-wire?

I agree that Gators are lacking offensively in many ways (lack of offensive bigs, lack of creativity by guards, lack of movement by everyone, etc), but for the past couple of games or so, I've seen more movement without the ball, more inside scoring attempts, and better overall effort than we saw previously. When we've had our scoring droughts has been when we reverted back to no movement without the ball. Is the consensus that White is telling them to stand still and wait around? (which runs contrary to what White was telling them while miked up today)
Defense...and only defense. They lost because of offense and only offense. Meaning we are a ****y version of Virginia...which is complete garbage basketball and I'd rather blow it up and fire White and start over then keep watching it imo

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I do like to see a faster-paced offense, and the first half of this game was fun to watch. But am I the only one who likes to see teams play good defense as well? I'm not Muschamp-bad, but I appreciate good defense almost as much as good offense. Am I in a minority of 1?

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I love the defense, but it doesn't mean you neglect offense...and it definitely doesn't mean the head coach complains about defense when we lose 55-45...which he has done numerous times over the last 4 years
I do like to see a faster-paced offense, and the first half of this game was fun to watch. But am I the only one who likes to see teams play good defense as well? I'm not Muschamp-bad, but I appreciate good defense almost as much as good offense. Am I in a minority of 1?

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Not at all, but one likes to see the fruits of good defense result in some easy baskets and open shots.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
UK took away the 3pter because they knew we cant score I side the 3pt line

Opponents count on White's boys being one dimensional. Any one dimensional team is convinced by the practices & HC's attitude that that's all they are.

for the past couple of games or so, I've seen more movement without the ball, more inside scoring attempts, and better overall effort than we saw previously.

Bull's eye no18r. Now, this late, these guys are awkward at correctly attacking the basket. Somebody has pounded into them that "shoot-shoot" is all that pleases the coach. No coach is stressing fast-passing to get the opposing D lagging the action. Over & over, the ball movement stops, giving the opposing D plenty of time to set up & to be calmly ready to challenge. On the inside stuff, guys nonchalantly float in "out-of-body" narcosis = attacking is not their #1 in practices, in mindset, not drilled into them.

Starting to learn attacking the rim this late means our Gator players are "newbies" going against opponents whose coaches have had their charges rehearsing that style preseason and through 20 games now. Does anyone have a quote after a losing streak implies: it's not my fault, the players aren't doing what I tell them." Ever think Bob Knight, John Thompson, coach K, would ever have that attitude.?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Go away
Charge your phone

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
265th ranked offense in the nation. Duh.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just can't believe we outscored UK in the paint 30-26. We should have gotten up more 3s. The UK defense really keyed in on Allen and Locke so that they couldn't get any open looks...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that scoring is what separates the NCAA haves from the have-nots. We're too deep into this regime to be having that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator