Gators Caravan

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Student support, 2 years of sellout home games, Gator walk practically impossible to get near unless you grabbed a spot at the barricades 2 hours early. Yes, the fanbase rallied around Napier way more than they did Mullen or McElwain. This was supposed to be a new chapter with someone who cared and was organized and committed enough to restore the brand, something neither of the last coaches had shown. Even now, I think a majority of people would rather win with him than with JM or DM. You can’t blame them for turning on someone who seems dead set on doing things his way in spite of mountains of evidence that isn’t working. They’re rightly pissed. But that doesn’t dismiss the welcome and support he initially received.
Not sure all that's accurate but if that's your perception then you may actually be ON the train. Congratulations!

As for him doing things his own way, name 1 coach that acquiesces to public opinion. And I'm not talking about financial sway/pressure from big $$ donors. CBN truly believes he's already addressed the issues. (he hasn't)
Even Spurrier was adamant to put his QBs in the gun but finally did so. But John-Q public tends to NOT complain when a team is winning so there's plenty of criticism w/CBN. And rightly so.
But we've railed against CBN's play calling for 2 yrs now and while he hasn't said he's changing anything in that regard going into year 3, we've yet to see him call a game THIS year. So things might change.
Do I think they'll change? Kind of, yes. I think Mertz's familiarity with the offense will open up some things for us. I think our O-line will be pretty good too. And I think our WRs are faster so maybe we'll see some stretch plays.
But I think the biggest difference will be because he now knows we're tired of his play selection and ineptness and so if the team falters at all on offense then he'll have to change things immediately and would lean on his 2 OC's (by title only). Even though he says he won't make changes mid-season. I think we'll see some separation of play calling duty that will be situational or he'll take suggestions from his 2 OCs. It'll start off small in-season and may grow if successful. Hell, it might be so subtle that it's not even noticeable. And he damn sure won't admit that it was different or somebody else's input. But we'll know if they start winning games against this schedule and do so by more than 1 score.

And I know everyone here disagrees.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not sure all that's accurate but if that's your perception then you may actually be ON the train. Congratulations!

As for him doing things his own way, name 1 coach that acquiesces to public opinion. And I'm not talking about financial sway/pressure from big $$ donors. CBN truly believes he's already addressed the issues. (he hasn't)
Even Spurrier was adamant to put his QBs in the gun but finally did so. But John-Q public tends to NOT complain when a team is winning so there's plenty of criticism w/CBN. And rightly so.
But we've railed against CBN's play calling for 2 yrs now and while he hasn't said he's changing anything in that regard going into year 3, we've yet to see him call a game THIS year. So things might change.
Do I think they'll change? Kind of, yes. I think Mertz's familiarity with the offense will open up some things for us. I think our O-line will be pretty good too. And I think our WRs are faster so maybe we'll see some stretch plays.
But I think the biggest difference will be because he now knows we're tired of his play selection and ineptness and so if the team falters at all on offense then he'll have to change things immediately and would lean on his 2 OC's (by title only). Even though he says he won't make changes mid-season. I think we'll see some separation of play calling duty that will be situational or he'll take suggestions from his 2 OCs. It'll start off small in-season and may grow if successful. Hell, it might be so subtle that it's not even noticeable. And he damn sure won't admit that it was different or somebody else's input. But we'll know if they start winning games against this schedule and do so by more than 1 score.

And I know everyone here disagrees.

Some coaches like shotgun, others under center. Some prefer a 3-4 where others see more value in a 4-3. Some want to run the ball to set up the pass, some just the opposite. How many successful coaches or teams do you know that have a fat guy in stained basketball shorts up in a booth and no real STs coach? How many great offenses have no QB coach or OC calling the plays?

And while I agree that all coaches are stubborn to a degree, Spurrier had taken his team to an undefeated season and two consecutive NC game appearances doing it his way when he reluctantly changed his philosophy to get us over that final hump. Napier is under .500 and has overseen some of the most embarrassing losses of the past 40 years in two seasons. At this point, it’s safe to assume every instinct he’s had in his time at UF was the opposite of what it should’ve been. Everything from the 2 OL coaches, lack of STs, lack of QB coach, lack of OC has been an unmitigated disaster, and happen to be points that virtually every UF fan questioned the moment they heard them. Those aren’t comparable situations at all.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Some coaches like shotgun, others under center. Some prefer a 3-4 where others see more value in a 4-3. Some want to run the ball to set up the pass, some just the opposite. How many successful coaches or teams do you know that have a fat guy in stained basketball shorts up in a booth and no real STs coach? How many great offenses have no QB coach or OC calling the plays?

And while I agree that all coaches are stubborn to a degree, Spurrier had taken his team to an undefeated season and two consecutive NC game appearances doing it his way when he reluctantly changed his philosophy to get us over that final hump. Napier is under .500 and has overseen some of the most embarrassing losses of the past 40 years in two seasons. At this point, it’s safe to assume every instinct he’s had in his time at UF was the opposite of what it should’ve been. Everything from the 2 OL coaches, lack of STs, lack of QB coach, lack of OC has been an unmitigated disaster, and happen to be points that virtually every UF fan questioned the moment they heard them. Those aren’t comparable situations at all.
No argument here. I was just pointing out that while CBN is stubborn, so is every coach.
But to the stubborn point, I think CBN feels like he's addressing the issues. We just happen to think he isn't.
I still think he gets all of this year, and maybe next, before the AD or President give him the hook and pull him off stage. What he does THIS year will decide that or if he gets an extension. I think we go 8-4 and have said that all off-season. I'm pulling for him to succeed as Gator Congregation Nation needs this to work.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No argument here. I was just pointing out that while CBN is stubborn, so is every coach.
But to the stubborn point, I think CBN feels like he's addressing the issues. We just happen to think he isn't.
I still think he gets all of this year, and maybe next, before the AD or President give him the hook and pull him off stage. What he does THIS year will decide that or if he gets an extension. I think we go 8-4 and have said that all off-season. I'm pulling for him to succeed as Gator Congregation Nation needs this to work.
A GREAT QB hides a plethora of warts. If we win it will be because of Lagway.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
A GREAT QB hides a plethora of warts. If we win it will be because of Lagway.
So you're talking about '25.
Because Lagway won't be our QB this year. It'll be Mertz. Lagway may play, or will have certain plays called for him, but Mertz is far and away UF's better QB this year. And so, if according to you we aren't going to win with Mertz this year then something will be forced on the team to part ways with CBN. Maybe that's what you're hoping for.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So you're talking about '25.
Because Lagway won't be our QB this year. It'll be Mertz. Lagway may play, or will have certain plays called for him, but Mertz is far and away UF's better QB this year. And so, if according to you we aren't going to win with Mertz this year then something will be forced on the team to part ways with CBN. Maybe that's what you're hoping for.
I meant this year and I didn’t stutter.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ok, let’s not go full stephen here. If the criticisms were warranted, why didn’t he make a demonstrable change? The guy has been given 10x the fan support that the previous two hires have. He’s stubbornly staying the course with a system that isn’t working, then arrogantly using cherry picked stats to argue that it is. Very few people didn’t want him, or still don’t want him, to succeed here. But he is making it very difficult for people to like him.

To be fair, he has made a lot of “demonstrable changes.” The abysmal defense has new coaches and key transfers at every level. The OL has a new coach, transfers and moved George inside. The QB room went from Mertz, Milller & Brown to Mertz, Lagway and Millen. Callaway was promoted. New S&C and nutrition staff, new ST staff pulled from the Patriots.

The question is if/how Billy has changed. Maybe he has grown and adapted - which is really hard to do, so doubts are inevitable and likely accurate. But I don’t blame him for deciding that he’ll succeed or fail calling his own plays.

Of course he’s going to pump up the program, show some of how he’s trying to address problem areas. It’s all fluff until they play and we see. We’ve only 4 months + a week or so to start finding out.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
To be fair, he has made a lot of “demonstrable changes.” The abysmal defense has new coaches and key transfers at every level. The OL has a new coach, transfers and moved George inside. The QB room went from Mertz, Milller & Brown to Mertz, Lagway and Millen. Callaway was promoted. New S&C and nutrition staff, new ST staff pulled from the Patriots.

The question is if/how Billy has changed. Maybe he has grown and adapted - which is really hard to do, so doubts are inevitable and likely accurate. But I don’t blame him for deciding that he’ll succeed or fail calling his own plays.

Of course he’s going to pump up the program, show some of how he’s trying to address problem areas. It’s all fluff until they play and we see. We’ve only 4 months + a week or so to start finding out.

There have been some modest changes, though I remain much less convinced that the “changes” haven’t been guys bailing on their own. In any event, my point is that he had tremendous good will and support has squandered it with inexplicable moves for close to 2.5 years. So the “why are fans so negative about him?” questions are misplaced. And should he turn it around this year and have a really good season, nearly all of those people will be in his corner. There’s just simply nothing thus far that leads me to believe that can happen.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
he's piddled around the surface without ever getting into the substance.

defense has new coaches at every level? Besides the ones that left, on their own accord due to serious frustrations according to numerous reports, who has he fired and upgraded from? He hired a coach to coach the coaches. and he replaced the guys that couldnt leave fast enough with more of what appears to be similar coaches. maybe that washington guy is an upgrade but hes the only possible improvement. the same zero experience pimple faced sandlot catcher is still in charge of the d. woooof.

the OL still has 2 coaches and still reportedly suck like a blackhole according to every article ive seen so far. and were still waiting to sign someone not considered a project by juco schools in wyoming. yaaay.

lagway is great, but tater will play his boy mertz b/c he hands the ball off on 3rd and california as well as anyone. wooohooo.

Callaway? Really? Tater already said he will still be calling all the plays. You could have typed andy reid and it wouldnt have moved the needle. welcome to the new offense, same as the old offense. stoked.

nutrition? lol. they hired a guy, and then he left a few days later. we have a "new" guy b/c he was an underling of the old guy who sucked. this one actually makes me laugh.

ST guy... who will still be nowhere on the field during game days.

I'm just so excited.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
he's piddled around the surface without ever getting into the substance.

defense has new coaches at every level? Besides the ones that left, on their own accord due to serious frustrations according to numerous reports, who has he fired and upgraded from? He hired a coach to coach the coaches. and he replaced the guys that couldnt leave fast enough with more of what appears to be similar coaches. maybe that washington guy is an upgrade but hes the only possible improvement. the same zero experience pimple faced sandlot catcher is still in charge of the d. woooof.

the OL still has 2 coaches and still reportedly suck like a blackhole according to every article ive seen so far. and were still waiting to sign someone not considered a project by juco schools in wyoming. yaaay.

lagway is great, but tater will play his boy mertz b/c he hands the ball off on 3rd and california as well as anyone. wooohooo.

Callaway? Really? Tater already said he will still be calling all the plays. You could have typed andy reid and it wouldnt have moved the needle. welcome to the new offense, same as the old offense. stoked.

nutrition? lol. they hired a guy, and then he left a few days later. we have a "new" guy b/c he was an underling of the old guy who sucked. this one actually makes me laugh.

ST guy... who will still be nowhere on the field during game days.

I'm just so excited.
Apparently so

1713901987892.jpeg

BeachGator

Mar 10, 2018
Do people still go to these spring bullsiht meetings? Kids used to love going to these meetings to get posters, autographs, mementos, etc. But anymore, I think it takes more than that. Besides, the only thing worse, than listening to Napier drone on for thirty minutes, is getting a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Do people still go to these spring bullsiht meetings? Kids used to love going to these meetings to get posters, autographs, mementos, etc. But anymore, I think it takes more than that. Besides, the only thing worse, than listening to Napier drone on for thirty minutes, is getting a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I guess they do. I haven’t since 2000, but that’s been more about work and family than the ups and downs of the last 24 years.

Most fans don’t grind on this stuff like we do. They get general reporting and wait and see. GC is like the ninjas of fandom. Complete with throwing stars.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

You've been mainlining Hopium again.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's better than semen.
How is your mother? She good?
Tales From The Crypt Pun GIF

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
B) I agree, probably lip service to quiet noise, but that assumes he understands there is noise. I played the original clip from Pate for my mom afterward and she understood the frustration and EPA double down. Though she did appreciate he at least said what he did at the Caravan.

Just noting you got away with this. Impressive. Respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.