Gator Basketball Gators manage 50 points, lose to TCU

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yea man I have no idea who will transfer but I agree it will happen. Just seems like a lost cause to get into it. The one thing I've learned in basketball is point guards can usually play 2 without issue, so my guess is Mann plays more 2 with Nembhard on the floor because Nembhards vision is solid, hes already distributing the ball at about the same pace Chiozza did last year. So as long as Mann doesnt actually become offensively ****ed like Nembhard then he could just play the 2. But we'll see. Too early to tell. I'm just surprised Nembhard is so damn inept, I thought he would be an upgrade over Chiozza because of his size, I did not see a paltry 7 a game from him

I agree that two PG can play together easily. Also many guys advertised as PGs in recruiting are not pure PGs like Nembhard is. So perhaps Mann is less of a true PG compared to Nembhard.

I personally have been reasonably pleased with Nembhard this year. I have complained about him getting beat back door at least once a game, but he uses his size well. He does try to score and is not a terrible shooter despite the ugly shot. I see less a hitch in his shot than it is a slow old man's set shot. Still he gets it off in college basketball. He also has struggled with FTs down the stretch in several games and a PG can not do that. Still he has very good court vision, can score some both inside and out and does not defer too much and rebound a little too.

BTW, I did a study a while back about what basketball players are one and done. (I think Boynton or maybe Boynton and Hill prompted me to look at it.) It turns out that most of about the top 7 or 8 players go each year and then the rest are scattered among the top 100 players. Well Nembhard was the consensus 25th player, so the chance of him being one and done were never really high, but again he might feel recruited over with Mann so you never know for sure.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What we're seeing is the what you get when you hire a young coach with no pedigree and never had anything to do with developing a nba player. All he had was a good record at LA tech. His first 2 classes were not at good at all and we whiffed on every decent big man we went after. And now we're stuck playing 3 freshmen to with Billy's last 2 commits. We don't have the talent. In short were paying the price of subpar recruiting his 1st 2 years.
When Billy got here, he played a big role in developing nba players at Kentucky and played in the NBA himself. He had something to sell immediately on the recruiting trail. He was able to pull guys from the jump.
All that being said whites got it turned around on the recruiting trail. We've got 3 freshmen starting with 2 McDonald's all Americans coming in next year. A top 40 over all big man coming in aswell.
We should be pretty good next year but we're just gonna have to eat this season. It is what it is. We're a nit team this year at best. Next year it's probably gonna be 2nd weekend of the tourney or bust.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What we're seeing is the what you get when you hire a young coach with no pedigree and never had anything to do with developing a nba player. All he had was a good record at LA tech. His first 2 classes were not at good at all and we whiffed on every decent big man we went after. And now we're stuck playing 3 freshmen to with Billy's last 2 commits. We don't have the talent. In short were paying the price of subpar recruiting his 1st 2 years.
When Billy got here, he played a big role in developing nba players at Kentucky and played in the NBA himself. He had something to sell immediately on the recruiting trail. He was able to pull guys from the jump.
All that being said whites got it turned around on the recruiting trail. We've got 3 freshmen starting with 2 McDonald's all Americans coming in next year. A top 40 over all big man coming in aswell.
We should be pretty good next year but we're just gonna have to eat this season. It is what it is. We're a nit team this year at best. Next year it's probably gonna be 2nd weekend of the tourney or bust.
Yep. Another OJT coach following a legend coach. Sounds like great succession planning.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. Another OJT coach following a legend coach. Sounds like great succession planning.
Can argue with you there. It was one of my worries when we hired him.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We play 4 straight ranked teams, I don't see how we win any of them. We will be sitting at 11-12 record wise. After that we may go 3-5 in the final 8 games of the regular season to finish at 14-18. Then lose in the first round of the SECT to finish at 14-19. I honestly don't see how White survives that many losses in one year. If our guys tank it, which I suspect they may very well do, then we finish with 20+ losses and White DEFINITELY GONE. We have to come up with a short list of quality coaches to replace White. Mack? Marshall? Archie? Musselman?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The make or break on this UF BBall Program will be = is White the coach to venerate an inside game enough, first, to attract the "bigs" to sign with Florida, & second, to develop tall players into aggressive, reliable scorers?? I have huge doubts on the latter. Al Pinkins played as NC State 6'6" forward in '96-'97. He average 5 ppg & 4 rebounds. Surely White can add a 6'9" more accomplished big-man coach, one young enough to demonstrate positioning and moves. It is crucial and I fear White doesn't think about it. White's a little guy who shot from outside.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure it's going to get interesting around here the next few weeks. The seat is probably getting a little toasty right now.

RaptureVeteran

Banned
BANNED
Jan 26, 2019
We play 4 straight ranked teams, I don't see how we win any of them. We will be sitting at 11-12 record wise. After that we may go 3-5 in the final 8 games of the regular season to finish at 14-18. Then lose in the first round of the SECT to finish at 14-19. I honestly don't see how White survives that many losses in one year. If our guys tank it, which I suspect they may very well do, then we finish with 20+ losses and White DEFINITELY GONE. We have to come up with a short list of quality coaches to replace White. Mack? Marshall? Archie? Musselman?
I still think White returns because of the recruiting class. And also, I'm not quite sure how Stricklin approaches these situations. McElwain made it easy with the fake death threats, White by all reports is a really good dude unlike McElwain, McElwain was a **** person on top of a bad coach, White is a good person who just happens to have zero clue how to coach and develop. So I have no idea how Stricklin will approach this, but I just have a feeling Mann and Lewis saved Whites job.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I hope White develops as coach the same as a freshman improves. He's taken a step up in degree of difficulty and his youth and inexperience shows. I hope the training wheels come off next year along with the improved talent. He really needs to improve his acumen on the offensive side.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1. I agree 100% on everything you said about Nembhard. It is just with Mann coming in, I wonder if he still might try to go as I suspect was his plan to start?

2. I see Okauru most likely gone. I see Stokes as a possible transfer. I thought Ballard was the most likely guy to leave going into this season. Then he played pretty well, but I almost think that means he is more likely to go where he can play rather than play behind younger guys. As for Bassett, he was not as highly recruited as Ballard but his play may have created a demand for him elsewhere. There is Gak who I will be surprised if he ever plays for UF again. It is puzzling to never hear anything about guys like Stokes and Gak and in Gak's case never see them get any minutes.

Gak’s been wearing street clothes the last few times I saw him. Hard to get in the game when you’re not in uniform.
Basset will get more PT next year as Hayes will be gone. Payne’s not gonna play 40 minutes a game.
I could see Okauru and Stokes transferring, that’s it.
You crack me up sometimes Insti.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I agree that two PG can play together easily. Also many guys advertised as PGs in recruiting are not pure PGs like Nembhard is. So perhaps Mann is less of a true PG compared to Nembhard.

I personally have been reasonably pleased with Nembhard this year. I have complained about him getting beat back door at least once a game, but he uses his size well. He does try to score and is not a terrible shooter despite the ugly shot. I see less a hitch in his shot than it is a slow old man's set shot. Still he gets it off in college basketball. He also has struggled with FTs down the stretch in several games and a PG can not do that. Still he has very good court vision, can score some both inside and out and does not defer too much and rebound a little too.

BTW, I did a study a while back about what basketball players are one and done. (I think Boynton or maybe Boynton and Hill prompted me to look at it.) It turns out that most of about the top 7 or 8 players go each year and then the rest are scattered among the top 100 players. Well Nembhard was the consensus 25th player, so the chance of him being one and done were never really high, but again he might feel recruited over with Mann so you never know for sure.
I think we fans deserve an explanation about Gak. Personally, I'm getting pretty dam# miffed with all the secrecy.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, but I'm talking about leading up to the announcement. Seems like we are kept in the dark about those things. Frankly I think they'll lie to shut us up and hope it goes away without much fuss.
They might be trying to make sure he doesn't lose a year eligibility, especially if the kid wants to transfer.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
They might be trying to make sure he doesn't lose a year eligibility, especially if the kid wants to transfer.
I guess, I'm probably still frustrated by the way we were kept informed about Egbunu. We need a !@#$ Center.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We need an HC who is a mechanics teacher, of the basics ... an HC who doesn't announce that he doesn't know what else to do with his players.?? White will squander the skills and development of "inside-game big men". Pinkin isn't contributing any inside game schemes.??

Get Chris Richard in here to teach our big men positioning and leaning and ball grip underneath. Richard is here in Florida teaching in basketball camps of his own organization. He's young enough to demonstrate and bang with his players. To boot, Chris is a professional $ motivational speaker. He's played pro NBA and abroad. And he's a Gator 2-time national champ. He's conducted joint basketball camps in Africa with Joakim Noah (no pun on the joint). So he's got pull with our N.C. alums. White owes incoming Payne that kind of hands-on instruction which White cannot give. Pinkin hasn't been effective ... or White's cutting his instruction off by outside only shoot, shoot, shoot. (Remember that miked huddle where White's pep-talk was & I quote: "Shoot, shoot, shoot.") Yeah just pour them up there, that's a winning strategy, that's top coaching.

We will be stuck with White far too many seasons. Nice guy. Players like him.? But he doesn't venerate inside play. He eschews 65% FG for 35% FG. Never will that philosophy survive tournament competition.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
White is going no where anytime soon. If UF misses the tourney this year and misses it again next year, then White's seat would warm up. White is right in the middle of the not bad enough to fire, not good enough to get an offer from another program zone.

I agree it would be nice to hear more about what is going on with guys not playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator