Gator's rallying around Treon

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Yankeetown;n297844 said:
Well, I don't much like "literature", but I read Moby Dick and was better for it.

And Animal House is a more significant piece of American culture than Moby Dick. It ties Lawrence of Arabia as the best movies ever made, IMO.

You seriously should find a friend who has it, and spend the evening over at his/her place, watching Animal House and eating buttered popcorn.

If you do that and conclude the experience was a total waste of your time, I will cheerfully refund your money.

Again, thanks but no thanks.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Gatordiddy;n297786 said:
We should probably continue this in the lounge but I gotta say - I love sports.
And there have been some AWESOME sports movies.
Some of these are a reflection of who we are as a country: Remember the Titans, Miracle on Ice
One made me boo hoo in front of a first (and last) date (Field of Dreams - "wanna have a catch... Dad?")
And some made me laugh my ass off: (CaddyShack and Slap Shot)

And of course this:
"I love Brian Piccolo and I'd like all of you to love him too. And tonight, when you hit your knees, please ask God to love him."

Some of the best inspirational speeches too (On Any Given Sunday, Hoosiers)...

Have any of these made your short list Gatormandan?

Nope.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
"There's not much dropoff in talent, if any at all." ~ McGee ~

That's flat out untrue. It is a huge dropoff in arm talent and in the way the 2 quarterbacks see things. Treon simply can't do what Grier could do. Treon's strength is his quickness and athleticism. If he is going to be successful, that will have to play a prominent role in the play calling. Also, Grier was able to get the ball to the receivers so fast it allowed them space to make plays. That will change with Treon at the helm.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Zambo;n297757 said:
I don't blame you. I hate ice cream, puppies, football, and hot chicks too.

Seriously, I think quotes from Animal House are on the immigration test. Watch it, then Blazing Saddles, The Blues Brothers, and The Big Lebowski. Take notes. Oh, and Caddyshack too.

We're talking about unchecked aggression here, dude.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;297881 said:

That's flat out untrue. It is a huge dropoff in arm talent and in the way the 2 quarterbacks see things. Treon simply can't do what Grier could do. Treon's strength is his quickness and athleticism. If he is going to be successful, that will have to play a prominent role in the play calling. Also, Grier was able to get the ball to the receivers so fast it allowed them space to make plays. That will change with Treon at the helm.

I agree on the timing of the routes that Grier is clearly better but even McElwain in an article I read recently said Treon had the stronger arm and much better deep ball. McElwain and company are just going to have to put some more stuff in the playbook toward treon's strengths, maybe more vertical down the field passes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
TheBigClaw;n297883 said:
I agree on the timing of the routes that Grier is clearly better but even McElwain in an article I read recently said Treon had the stronger arm and much better deep ball. McElwain and company are just going to have to put some more stuff in the playbook toward treon's strengths, maybe more vertical down the field passes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linky?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, I'm not sure that ^^ is actually what Mac said. Doesn't sound like him at all.

But I do think the team has and will continue to rally around Treon. As was posted on the first page, what other choice do they have. We're #8 in the country, have the East in our sights, and are in position to have a solid year. Why not support him 100% and see if we can keep it going? I think there's a dropoff to a degree, but I also think we can win our remaining games with him at the helm.

The biggest concern for me is that, with Grier in, we've hit most of the big plays when they were there. The bootleg has consistently been called at perfect times, and we've executed it nearly every time with great passing, usually for big gains. The point is we'll only get those opportunities so many times in a game. It's critical that Treon makes those throws. In many respects, that's been our biggest change from last year. We're actually making the plays when they're there. That has to continue. With Mac's expertise on offense, I'm hopeful that it will.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n297897 said:
With Mac's expertise on offense, I'm hopeful that it will.

This. And I am more than hopeful. More and more, Coach Mac is reminding me of the early days under Spurrier. And SOS made UF a winner even when he was putting Noah Brindise on the field for 50% of our offensive plays..... and let him throw it every once in a while, too. I'm confident that Treon > Noah

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Treon reminds me of a more athletic Chris Leak. Throws the ball very similarly and obviously can scramble. I believe he is a winner and will show that Saturday.

Sent from my IPad using tapatalk.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
soflagator;n297897 said:
Yeah, I'm not sure that ^^ is actually what Mac said. Doesn't sound like him at all.

But I do think the team has and will continue to rally around Treon. As was posted on the first page, what other choice do they have. We're #8 in the country, have the East in our sights, and are in position to have a solid year. Why not support him 100% and see if we can keep it going? I think there's a dropoff to a degree, but I also think we can win our remaining games with him at the helm.

The biggest concern for me is that, with Grier in, we've hit most of the big plays when they were there. The bootleg has consistently been called at perfect times, and we've executed it nearly every time with great passing, usually for big gains. The point is we'll only get those opportunities so many times in a game. It's critical that Treon makes those throws. In many respects, that's been our biggest change from last year. We're actually making the plays when they're there. That has to continue. With Mac's expertise on offense, I'm hopeful that it will.

Exactly. I know McGee said earlier this week that there wasn't much dropoff, if any between Grier and Treon, but really what's he supposed to say?

I don't think the guy is complete garbage by any stretch of the imagination and he's certainly an upgrade over Driskel or Mornhihweg, and evidently better suited to start than Grady, a graduate transfer senior. He made plays with his legs last year that got us out of some tight situations in games against Vandy, SC, GA and FSU. The main thing is that LSU knows we're more of a running team with Treon under center than with Grier, so it'll be Mac's gameplan for Harris and how Harris executes it that will decide the game.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n297913 said:
treon is no chris leak, you shut your mouth claw! :lol:

You'll eat those words once he carves up that LSU defense :bananadance:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
maheo30;n297881 said:

​
soflagator;n297897 said:

​
SGG;n297932 said:
I don't think the guy is complete garbage by any stretch of the imagination and he's certainly an upgrade over Driskel or Mornhihweg, and evidently better suited to start than Grady, a graduate transfer senior. He made plays with his legs last year that got us out of some tight situations in games against Vandy, SC, GA and FSU. The main thing is that LSU knows we're more of a running team with Treon under center than with Grier, so it'll be Mac's gameplan for Harris and how Harris executes it that will decide the game.

To each of these, I propose that TH can execute (most of) the offense that WG was running. For the lone long bomb TH hit, it was a dying bird. But the meat of our game has been mid-level passing to either WR's on crossing routes or TE's on short routes. These are within his skill set - perhaps not as well aligned with his skills as they are with WG, and we may see him force a few or have problems getting proper touch on the ball, but he is capable of making these. More than that, he's mobile > pocket, so rolling him out on bootlegs will take half the field away, meaning half the defense is a non-factor and TH only has to read 1-2 progressions of makeable passes.

Second point I'll raise is that like most of the comments in this thread, opposing defenses KNOW he will tuck and run a lot. The only game film on TH for the past few weeks have been QB reads, and he hasn't handed ANY of them off to the RB as he chooses instead to rush up the middle on his own. Pesonally, I figured McNuss were setting up for a pass play later in the season. Now, we need our one good QB to stay healthy, which means fewer times getting tackled.

Simply put, opponents are looking for TH to run. Combine that with the offense leaning on so many play makers at WR and TE, we simply cannot gameplan for TH to run the dang ball. We have to gameplan for putting him in position to win (spread the ball around, open up the field) with fewer decisions (make them quickly) and makeable plays. He'll still tuck and run a few times, but do not expect our offense to change that much. My only real concern is if he does roll out of the pocket that WG was traditionally still in, will our OL get worn out trying to keep track of him and protect for him?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n297913 said:
treon is no chris leak, you shut your mouth claw! :lol:

I would be ok with him channeling CL.

Attachments

• conv_4974.jpg
    conv_4974.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 20

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
If we are behind late, I question Treon's ability to rally us to victory. Either way, I hope he and every other Gator performs well. Go Gators.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
TheBigClaw;n297911 said:
Treon reminds me of a more athletic Chris Leak. Throws the ball very similarly and obviously can scramble. I believe he is a winner and will show that Saturday.

Sent from my IPad using tapatalk.
This is a very good comparison. People are missing the fact that Treon is a damn good backup and will have a very good chance of continuing our success. He's a helluva dual threat and I'd hate to be a DC trying to game plan for him honestly. He's totally healthy. He's got a year more age, strength and experience under his belt. And most importantly, he's got a real offensive coaching staff and a helluva nice group of play-makers to work with. This could be real fun.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
lagator;n298044 said:
This is a very good comparison. People are missing the fact that Treon is a damn good backup and will have a very good chance of continuing our success. He's a helluva dual threat and I'd hate to be a DC trying to game plan for him honestly. He's totally healthy. He's got a year more age, strength and experience under his belt. And most importantly, he's got a real offensive coaching staff and a helluva nice group of play-makers to work with. This could be real fun.

Couldnt have ate said it better myself

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
[youtube]8GjKmBdPZpU[/youtube]

We can win with Treon Harris. He's going to get the snap, take a couple of steps back, when the LSU defense over pursues, Treon is going to run right by them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.