GCMB Poll: Most dangerous UF running back ever

Who was the second "most dangerous" UF running back?

• Neal Anderson (1982-1985)

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Errict Rhett (1990-1993)

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • John L. Williams (1982-1985)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Fred Taylor (1994-1997)

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • Ciatrick Fason (2002-2004)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Jimmy DuBose (1972-1975)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Earnest Graham (1999-2002)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tony Green (1974-1977)

• Jeff Demps (2008-2011)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • James Jones (1979-1982)

• Total voters

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I don't think there is any video of the James Jones catch because the game wasn't televised. You had to be there. But that might have been the first benchmark for loud in the stadium.
I was there. It was in the NE corner. I think TV20 had some video and it looked like his back hit just before the goal line. It was unreal. And the noise (like yuou said) was an explosion.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Darn good question.
Dubose was before my time.
My knee Jerk reaction would be to say Neal Anderson because he was so important to the offense for those teams.
Conversely I'd rule out any of Spurrier's backs because the only "danger" was them adding to an already lopsided score.
That's a damn good group of RBs but since you said "most dangerous" I'd reluctantly have to say Jeff Demps because of his speed once he got past the line he was in danger of scoring every time. Intersting to see what others say.

Did you actually watch any Spurrier-coached games? This is beyond absurd.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Emmitt. Silly poll. Might as well ask "who was the best defensive lineman, but you can't say 'Jack Youngblood' because I'm making up stupid ****."

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Emmitt. Silly poll. Might as well ask "who was the best defensive lineman, but you can't say 'Jack Youngblood' because I'm making up stupid ****."
:law: you got another one.................
Eric Rhett not getting much love. Only the leading rusher in UF history.............He was a badd azzz in more than a few games.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Did you even bother to read the OP? I specifically asked you to consider everyone else BECAUSE it is so lopsided. I added the "most dangerous" clause in an effort to make people think about their answer.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:law: you got another one.................
Eric Rhett not getting much love. Only the leading rusher in UF history.............He was a badd azzz in more than a few games.

Probably because people equate dangerous to mean fast or shifty or shifty and fast. Rhett was a grinder.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
Did you even bother to read the OP? I specifically asked you to consider everyone else BECAUSE it is so lopsided. I added the "most dangerous" clause in an effort to make people think about their answer.

Ok man in the spirit of the thread/question.. I will concur with a few and to me (outside of Mr Smith) Eric or Fred to me.. IMHO

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Then ask who the second best running back was, instead of pretending "dangerous" has some meaning that excludes him. That's not so hard.

And in response, Taylor had the best combination of speed and power, Rhett was easily the most powerful - the kind who run it 30 times a game and gets stronger, and Chandler the best combination of speed, fluidity, and athleticism.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Then ask who the second best running back was, instead of pretending "dangerous" has some meaning that excludes him. That's not so hard.

And in response, Taylor had the best combination of speed and power, Rhett was easily the most powerful - the kind who run it 30 times a game and gets stronger, and Chandler the best combination of speed, fluidity, and athleticism.

What's the question right above the poll results? Duh.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here's how I would rate the top five when Emmitt is included

5) Anderson
4) Moore (apologies for not including him on the original list)
3) Williams
2) Taylor
1) Smith

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I loved what Jeff demps brought to the table for us, but it's baffling to see he got votes in this thread. He was basically a poor man's Bo Carroll for us. The simple answer is Fred ...hands down

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
PS Ox is going to be furious Kestahn Moore is not on the list

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I loved what Jeff demps brought to the table for us, but it's baffling to see he got votes in this thread. He was basically a poor man's Bo Carroll for us. The simple answer is Fred ...hands down

Demps ranks seventh among UF running backs for career rushing yards, eighth if you're including Tebow in the group. And we should also remember that he was a more durable back than his size would suggest.

Demps wasn't blessed with open-field grace, but there is no denying how dangerous he was with daylight. 4.26 speed will do that.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Did you actually watch any Spurrier-coached games? This is beyond absurd.
Actually I saw every home game in person. A few bowl games, a few FLA-Ga games, the rest on TV. Have to admit I missed the Choak at Doak - I was in Cozumel that weekend. Spurrier's rushing yards usually came in the 4th qtr when the game was out of hand. Not that his backs weren't important, but the OP asked for "most dangerous" not named Emmitt. It would be real simple to say Fred Taylor being he's the best of the bunch but that would be a simple answer. That would be a simple thread for simple minds. Maybe you could start that thread. The OP worded the question differently so as to avoid the obvious answer.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If by "most dangerous" you mean most likely to put the ball on the ground, I'm going with Matt Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.