Gotta love Emmitt

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
OL clwould probably be much better if we stopped the silly playcalling we are doing.

This is way above your paygrade though so I wont bother trying to explain it to you.

Mullen is REALLY hardheaded though.
I like your straight ahead blocking plan (and Crete's). Tell me this: why don't the press ever ask penetrating questions like that? If '78 is over his UCF snit, his opinion would also be valued.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I like your straight ahead blocking plan (and Crete's). Tell me this: why don't the press ever ask penetrating questions like that? If '78 is over his UCF snit, his opinion would also be valued.
this isn't high level X's and O's,by any means. it's like in baseball saying you shouldn't hang a curveball or they're going to deposited in the upper deck. difference between seeing what's wrong and correcting it is the difference between a casual fan and a coach on any level. and of course many of the coaches aren't good at correcting it or adjusting either.

most if not all of the journalists types using the term loosely don't understand even basic x's and o's, and even if they did it's not the type of stuff that could be expressed in print easily or in a short interview. think of how much people bitching about Gary Danielson.

getting busy I will add it later

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
this isn't high level X's and O's,by any means. it's like in baseball saying you shouldn't hang a curveball or they're going to deposited in the upper deck. difference between seeing what's wrong and correcting it is the difference between a casual fan and a coach on any level. and of course many of the coaches aren't good at correcting it or adjusting either.

most if not all of the journalists types using the term loosely don't understand even basic x's and o's, and even if they did it's not the type of stuff that could be expressed in print easily or in a short interview. think of how much people *****ing about Gary Danielson.

getting busy I will add it later

The most valuable tool a coach can have is not x's and o's, it is to be able to communicate your intent in a manner in which the player understands. I have coached with coaches who have played in the NFL, CFL, Europe, D1, etc., and their communication skills suck to the point what comes out of their mouth is so confusing I have to translate it for the player. They use lingo that a seasoned player would understand, but don't understand their audience.

In the Army, I was always told to write my intent so the dumbest guy in the unit would understand the 5 w's of what we were doing. That was a skill I honed for 30 years and has served me well in business and my coaching hobby.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I don't eliminate them. Unless their music is garbage. I still listen to Motley Crue and they are junkies too.

I spent three years in Gainesville and I never once hear anything said about the Petty the Bob Dylan wannabe. Not once. Im pretty sure I didn't know anyone who ever bought a CD. Never heard him on the radio. He certainly wasnt around. He was about as important to Gainesville as Rick Astley, Pete Gabriel or any other washed up poptart from the 70s or 80s.

Not going to pretend that he means anything now just bc the University wanted a distraction from the garbage coach they hired by honoring a garbage musician.

Tom Petty still has his own satellite channel SiriusXM channel 31 two years after his passing. His 10 seasons of "Buried Treasure" radio shows are great music history lessons and get airplay regularly on XM. Wrote 2 songs specifically about Gainesville while living in LA (Dreamville and Gainesville). Stayed with his Deep South roots his whole life but you'd have to actually listen to his huge body of work over 40+ years to know WTF you're talking about.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The most valuable tool a coach can have is not x's and o's, it is to be able to communicate your intent in a manner in which the player understands. I have coached with coaches who have played in the NFL, CFL, Europe, D1, etc., and their communication skills suck to the point what comes out of their mouth is so confusing I have to translate it for the player
You just explained a difficulty in teaching. Now multiply it by 5. Players want to win, to be on the field, to get it right. Kids on the other hand want to be outside with coach. Why I stayed outside most of the time. But coaches do have a different set of problems. Bldng team chemistry, dealing with so many different life styles and backgrounds and TESTOSTERONE...........then you begin to over think it. This player is better in THAT situation than that player. But that player has better leadership skills but the other reacts better and thinks on his feet THEN YOU Get it just right and there is an INJURY..........Urban was a victim I think .....Basketball is SOO much simpler............:law: is right though. Just spend gazillions on the entire program, load it with 5 stars and GTF out of their way.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The most valuable tool a coach can have is not x's and o's, it is to be able to communicate your intent in a manner in which the player understands. I have coached with coaches who have played in the NFL, CFL, Europe, D1, etc., and their communication skills suck to the point what comes out of their mouth is so confusing I have to translate it for the player.
It also helps if your X's are just better than their O's, in combat or football.

In the Army, I was always told to write my intent so the dumbest guy in the unit would understand the 5 w's of what we were doing.
Yup. Agreed. It also helps when contingencies arise that arent covered by contingency planning.

It also reminds me of that story of Brett Farve asking "What is a Nickel?"

Was he from Muhssippi or from Looziana?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
It also helps if your X's are just better than their O's, in combat or football.

You know
Yup. Agreed. It also helps when contingencies arise that arent covered by contingency planning.

It also reminds me of that story of Brett Farve asking "What is a Nickel?"

Was he from Muhssippi or from Looziana?

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
You know where he was from and you know that you are misrepresenting the anecdote the point of which is that you don't need to know the name of a thing to understand it and, in this case, know how to play against it. As a military guy you should read the poem "Naming of Parts".

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
I dont hate Emmitt. Ive just never heard him say a positive thing about UF. Heard plenty about scUM and Bammer, saw him wearing Ugly clothes.

Looks like the enemy to me

Ive always hated Tom Petty. Poor man's junkie version of Bob Dylan, and I could NOT stand him either.

I don't eliminate them. Unless their music is garbage. I still listen to Motley Crue and they are junkies too.

I spent three years in Gainesville and I never once hear anything said about the Petty the Bob Dylan wannabe. Not once. Im pretty sure I didn't know anyone who ever bought a CD. Never heard him on the radio. He certainly wasnt around. He was about as important to Gainesville as Rick Astley, Pete Gabriel or any other washed up poptart from the 70s or 80s.

Not going to pretend that he means anything now just bc the University wanted a distraction from the garbage coach they hired by honoring a garbage musician.

He left Gainseville, moved to LA and spent his life there (by choice). Why should I care?

Your username is absolutely perfect, because you really are a total ass. IDGAF that you have a law degree or post more than anyone on this board. Doesn't make you special or right. We all bitch and moan and talk about the incessant negativity on the board, but here's the thing, moron:

Every ounce of negativity, when I am bashing Mullen, the offense, the stupid move by a player, it's all because of my deep, never-ending love for my Gators.

But to throw in a douchebaggery comment about Petty for no other reason than to be the "Donkey" you are says everything about you and not about Petty.

Do you know why Petty left Gainesville without ever looking back? He grew up being abused as a child. Music was his escape, how he coped with his very difficult life, that he rarely ever talk about.

Stop being an ass or at the very least, take your head out of it, so you can smell the fresh air once in a while, and don't spread your negative B.S. about things that you know nothing about.

"Whatever you're looking for...

Don't come around here no more."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But to throw in a douchebaggery comment about Petty for no other reason than to be the "Donkey" you are says everything about you and not about Petty.
Lol... no, it isnt forced Douchebaggery. Like most people in the world, I think Petty's music is garbage.

Always have. Every single day of my life.

But you are still my fav poster Wuerrf.

Last edited:

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
Like most people in the world, I think Petty's music is garbage.

Ummmm... No.

I've never spoken to a single person who hates Tom Petty. As a metalhead myself (although I am all over the place musically), I've spoken to other metal heads who outside of heavy metal, only love Tom Petty. So no. What you are saying is unequivocally wrong.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Ummmm... No.

I've never spoken to a single person who hates Tom Petty. As a metalhead myself (although I am all over the place musically), I've spoken to other metal heads who outside of heavy metal, only love Tom Petty. So no. What you are saying is unequivocally wrong.
I can only listen to small doses of Petty. Sorry dude, he’s ok but you make him out to be a legend that transcends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator