Grantham’s Defense

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Itraz, does Cousin Eddie have an OC? I thought he was it.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I feel like the scoring defense rating is legit, we definitely tighten up greatly in the red zone. However, I feel like the passing defense rating is inflated by us playing teams so far with zero passing attack. Our passing defense does get much better when #12 isn't on the field though. The OCs seem to have his number circled if he is out there.
What gets me about the D is the inconsistancy. They seem very tough at times and others like they aren't really "there."

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
We're still scoring 14ish points on offense and doing some mindnumbing things (like trying to run wide with Scarlett and throwing 4 yards stops all the time).

They inherited a totally nonfunctional OL, but there is MUCH MUCH work to be done on offense.
Sometime Cousin Eddie's play calling is suspect. That could be more about trying to keep Felipe on track, however. He almost deserves a pass having to deal with him. What really gets me about Franks is that you never know what he's going to do from one play to the next. Everything is an adventure.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What gets me about the D is the inconsistancy. They seem very tough at times and others like they aren't really "there."
I think it is just depth issues. We rotate a lot. Ie I noticed Reese off the field in the 3rd series and often after that. I didn't like it much at first but it seems to make us that much stronger in the 4th and in the redzone.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
We're still scoring 14ish points on offense and doing some mindnumbing things (like trying to run wide with Scarlett and throwing 4 yards stops all the time).

They inherited a totally nonfunctional OL, but there is MUCH MUCH work to be done on offense.

Totally agree, but, but, but, this Offense is in a different universe than last season, especially Franks, as Mullens is keeping Franks contained to his limited bubble of ability. One can also see numerous third and fourth quarter play calls that have been set up throughout the first half. These guys aren’t as stupid as they were given credit for. That MSU team they built is tough as nails with half the stars Mullen has/will have here.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
He is the OC but he calls I think Billy G and Hevesy as fake co-OCs.
I think those two are doing a hellofva job with what they have to work with, especially the OL. And finally, our receivers are getting a little coaching, thank God.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
He is the OC but he calls I think Billy G and Hevesy as fake co-OCs.

They are his eyes in the sky. And hopefully his bag men. Many years of continuity with the offensive staff is a good thing.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
You'd think they could get him a blue shirt
Some coaching staffs wear an odd-color on certain position coaches intentionally to make it easier for the players to spot them along the sideline--I would guess that's why he's doing it as well. If you're a def player on the field and look over to the sidelines, it is much easier to spot that black shirt out of a blurry sea of blue, orange, or white.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, some wear lime green or whatever.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Considering the lack of depth at key positions I prefer the aggressive defense. Besides not many expected much from this team. So why not throw caution to the wind.

2-3 years from now when Mullen fills out the depth I would probably prefer a less aggressive defense.

I don't see anyone else acknowledging this comment, but I have to say it makes no sense at all to me. If you lack depth, you can' afford to be as risky and lose one of the few you have. Once you have depth, you can be more aggressive and flying around - lose someone, you have others to step in.

Tay Bang

Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
I don't see anyone else acknowledging this comment, but I have to say it makes no sense at all to me. If you lack depth, you can' afford to be as risky and lose one of the few you have. Once you have depth, you can be more aggressive and flying around - lose someone, you have others to step in.

You are correct if there is correlation between aggressiveness and injury.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think aggressive in this sense means attacking, more blitzes more man to man. more likely to get that sack and more likely to miss a long bomb.

I'd guess it means the defense is on the field less regardless. Against these terrible QBs we play, I'd stay aggressive all day long.

Soft Zook Randy Shannon/ John Hoke defenses, "bend but don't break" (that always do break it seems), leaves guys on the field, makes them tired, and leads to more injuries IMO.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Sign of a leader and good coach. Utilize your assets.

Interesting that multiple military guys picked up on that. A real leader doesn’t have to be the guy with all the answers. He’s gotta promote teamwork to get the best chance for success.

Blacklabgator

Lurking Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2014
I think it is just depth issues. We rotate a lot. Ie I noticed Reese off the field in the 3rd series and often after that. I didn't like it much at first but it seems to make us that much stronger in the 4th and in the redzone.

On the radio yesterday they said Reese has a sore ankle and they are trying to limit his plays

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator