Grantham STAYING; assistant coach hires & fires

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Ok, with Bowman and Gilbert, I think the O is going to be pretty stout considering Jones, Wright, Shorter, Henderson, Gamble, Copeland and Whittemore. OL, as usual, could def be upgraded, but now that we got the mobile QB that Dan wants the OL looks better.

With Carter staying and pick up of Newkirk and Sheldon, the DL is now actually in a good spot. We still don't really have any depth at LB nor any great LBs. DBs are suspect as well with only Elam looking solid.

Next season looks a little better but we still got Grantham as a known commodity of crap and a couple new young unknowns coaching.
Yeah, you do have to give credit where credit is due and that's that Mullen has done a good job with bringing in quality transfers. It's bizarre to see that the big 3 programs in the most fertile recruiting state in the nation are all having to lean so heavily on transfers because none of them can bring in top 5 classes consistently, or at all.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, you do have to give credit where credit is due and that's that Mullen has done a good job with bringing in quality transfers. It's bizarre to see that the big 3 programs in the most fertile recruiting state in the nation are all having to lean so heavily on transfers because none of them can bring in top 5 classes consistently, or at all.

I also feel like that no matter how well he does in the transfer portal he will still end up with 2-3 losses a season. Throw in Grantham and its probably 3-4

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I can't help but wonder if pay-offs are involved. The usual suspects seem to always be stacking high 4*s and 5*'s even though there isn't playing time available behind all their other Five-Star players. We end up with the disgruntled transfer kids on the rebound. And for Cheaper! That ought to please our low-rent AD. Dan's definitely been beefing up the roster with discount after-market players.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I can't help but wonder if pay-offs are involved. The usual suspects seem to always be stacking high 4*s and 5*'s even though there isn't playing time available behind all their other Five-Star players. We end up with the disgruntled transfer kids on the rebound. And for Cheaper! That ought to please our low-rent AD. Dan's definitely been beefing up the roster with discount after-market players.
So.... we land 1/3 the top 100 players and 10 less 4 stars as Alabama but we are "beefing up" by adding to former blue chip flops from other programs.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
so you mean on the Swamp Ass? Dude, they literally fawn over every hire. Right now they are claiming whomever we stole from USF is the best recruiter on the planet.

They hate GC and 247 also, because none of us know how great our coaches always are.

I wasn't referring to swamp gas, we all know they are slurpers over there.
I was referring to the numerous sites out there on various social media platforms that go into attack mode if you say anything that is less than positive.
In addition, every mailbag/questionaire I see on The Athletic, for example, is mostly people gushing over Dan Mullen and Mike White constantly. This is what motivated my comment.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Will Muschamp left Butters an NFL defense, that's why Butters defenses looked good. But Butters failed to restock that NFL defense and Mullen recruits mid-tier SEC talent and hired a sh*tty staff.....and here we are.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
lol I love this theory.

We TURNED him away and made him choose Bammer. :lmao2: I do appreciate that they didn't look stupid this year standing there at the altar thinking we gon get errbody. j

Arnold would have been our best signee and he isn't top 10 at Trailerbammer. :lmao2:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
lol I love this theory.

We TURNED him away and made him choose Bammer. :lmao2: I do appreciate that they didn't look stupid this year standing there at the altar thinking we gon get errbody. j

Arnold would have been our best signee and he isn't top 10 at Trailerbammer. :lmao2:

Yep. This is like the guy about to get fired that shoots off with, "You can't fire me! I quit!!" Yeah....he quit. Just like we 'turned away the best safety in Florida'. Bama gets what Bama wants. Period. That's what happened.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Agree w/ you on the D coaching scheme. Having a second DL coach would be very helpful for this band of misfits we have roaming our sidelines. Isn't Grantham supposed to also assist w/ the Buck's/DE's? A GA or QC guy could help out a DB coach - also, I'm sure most DB coaches would rather have the whole secondary.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Obviously, we need about 10 recruiters and coaches for DE and Buck.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

At Buck our guys are either: not coached well or not strong/big enough (I think it's both).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Besides the coaching issue - their size is a major problem. It seems they need to be over 260, preferably around 265-270....but then they're not so good in coverage. I think if Cox can fill out he could be that guy, but he needs about 10lbs. I think Princely outgrows Buck and is a true SDE eventually. Bogle needs more than 20lbs, he's simply a third and long type player and is a liability against the run. Moon is simply a bust, but is decent in pass rush.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Didn't this happen w/ the opening running play vs. Alabama?

I'm tired of watching our WDE/Buck get blown the f*ck up when they come at him hard on a running play. As you said, they shouldn't be expected to make a big play....just hold their edge or close the hole, which forces the RB into a decision - and by then a LB should get to him. Anyhow, I'm not a coach - but I did play DB in HS!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.