Great article on UF recruiting by Will Miles (really long)

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that the early signing period could be problematic. But even that is some time away, and as we've seen to our own dismay on many occasions, "verbal commitments" aren't worth the paper they're written on. Also, I'm not saying that everything is wonderful, but we have picked up a couple of very nice 4*s in the last couple of weeks, and in my humble opinion, all is not yet lost. Endeavor to persevere.
Imo, i don't see this trend changing too much. But you're right about all not being lost. If we can pull in a balanced class that fills our needs.And get a couple 4stars in the right positions. We should pull in a class that hovers around 15. Not gonna win championships with a class like that but it would be a step in the right direction. If we start to show some promise this year and Mullen makes some staff changes this off season, maybe we can get back to pulling top10 classes.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are a LONG way away from the December 20th Early signing period. We are only in June so we have 6 MONTHS to go until we see how our class shapes up as...

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Winning will improve recruiting, until then recruits will continue to be wary of signing with Florida due to the crapfest we’ve had in the coaching department since 2010. If Mullen can get things going in the right direction then recruiting will take care of itself until then he’s got 8 years worth of sh*t to wash off the program.
That's it in a nutshell. Stay tuned.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Imo, i don't see this trend changing too much. But you're right about all not being lost. If we can pull in a balanced class that fills our needs.And get a couple 4stars in the right positions. We should pull in a class that hovers around 15. Not gonna win championships with a class like that but it would be a step in the right direction. If we start to show some promise this year and Mullen makes some staff changes this off season, maybe we can get back to pulling top10 classes.

# 15 would be a Mac level 2nd class disaster and wouldn't even have us top 6 in the SEC. Its crazy how people think its normal for UF to be a run of the mill SEC team in recruiting now with all the talent in this state.

The recent losing shouldn't affect it much at all. Either Mullen and his guys can recruit or they can't.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
# 15 would be a Mac level 2nd class disaster and wouldn't even have us top 6 in the SEC. Its crazy how people think its normal for UF to be a run of the mill SEC team in recruiting now with all the talent in this state.

The recent losing shouldn't affect it much at all. Either Mullen and his guys can recruit or they can't.
Wow, I want some of what you're smoking. And by the way, the doosh nugget who started this malignant tumor of a thread, is laughing his nolie ass off at everybody who bit on his crap-fest topic. I'm an easy going guy generally speaking, but it's time for Omar to be going - yo!

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll leave this here... My buddy is friends with the family of an OL recruit from the panhandle who recently committed to Clemson. The kid grew uip a Gator fan, had Gator gear all over his room and wanted to play for UF. He was invited to the BBQ and the coaches hardly talked with him. Hevesey told him that he would not see the field for at least three years.

Clemson and Texas A & M were all over this kid. He had a committable offer but, UF never followed up after the BBQ so, he said F it and picked Clemson. Both A & M and Clemson told him he would red shirt and be in the mix to play as a red shirt freshman.

I have heard from my same buddy who is a member of another site that the moderators there heard from several top recruits that UF is not as active as other schools and act like the 5 stars should just commit to UF without a visit. If these tidbits are true - then Mullen is in for a RUDE awakening...

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
I'll leave this here... My buddy is friends with the family of an OL recruit from the panhandle who recently committed to Clemson. The kid grew uip a Gator fan, had Gator gear all over his room and wanted to play for UF. He was invited to the BBQ and the coaches hardly talked with him. Hevesey told him that he would not see the field for at least three years.

Clemson and Texas A & M were all over this kid. He had a committable offer but, UF never followed up after the BBQ so, he said F it and picked Clemson. Both A & M and Clemson told him he would red shirt and be in the mix to play as a red shirt freshman.

I have heard from my same buddy who is a member of another site that the moderators there heard from several top recruits that UF is not as active as other schools and act like the 5 stars should just commit to UF without a visit. If these tidbits are true - then Mullen is in for a RUDE awakening...

Butters 2.0

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

Jesus, that's pathetic. Hope Danny and wifey are ready for Gator fans to start crawling all over them at grocery stores again if they continue the suckfest here.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
UGA is gonna drop a five year win streak on us before Mullen is gone. just hope we can split some games with the clowns before he's finished.....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

If this is true, Mullen is going to have a 'come to Jesus' moment sooner rather than later. And how he responds will determine how long and how successful he'll be at UF. I think it's quite obvious he needs to add a 'recruiter' to the staff - so he needs to figure out which one of his buddies needs to look for a new job in 2019.

If Hevesy truly told the kid that, then that's probably what he believes. Clemson has averaged around 10th in recruiting since Dabo took over....and since they rose to prominence. They have to go out of state to get kids. If this kid is being told by 3 staffs that he's going to redshirt he's likely a 3-star - and we have plenty of those. Could have simply been a case that we have other kids higher on the board or that he wasn't a take at this time.

If the staff is acting like 5-stars "should just commit" well, it should be obvious at this point (ZERO 5-star commits in the just signed class and in the current commits) that that strategy ain't working. So, I'd assume he's going to shake things up or he's in for an ugly awakening. If we get blown out this year (and I expect at least 2 blowouts) the honeymoon will be over. If we lose to a Kentucky, Vandy, Missouri he's REALLY in for a rude awakening.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, I want some of what you're smoking. And by the way, the doosh nugget who started this malignant tumor of a thread, is laughing his nolie ass off at everybody who bit on his crap-fest topic. I'm an easy going guy generally speaking, but it's time for Omar to be going - yo!

What I am smoking? Its pretty simple to see Mullen and his staff are lacking in recruiting skills if he pulls some joke #14 or so recruiting class that doesn't even crack the top 6 in the SEC. That is joke Mac level recruiting for a 2nd class at UF.

That a flagship school in the talent rich state of FL is fighting the likes of Miss State and Ole Miss in the rankings would be a complete joke.

I am holding out hope he turns it around big time but there should be no sugar coating it if he pulls some mediocre #7 or so ranked SEC class.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Could have simply been a case that we have other kids higher on the board or that he wasn't a take at this time.

When my friend talked with a mod on his site, the mod called his contact on the UF recruiting staff and was told this kid is a hard take if he committed. They were absolutely shocked he was committing elsewhere but, they (UF) never called him. I think he is a 3 star now but, will be upgraded to 4 star this season. I don't follow recruiting much but, it seems we are offering a lot of 3 star OL...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
When my friend talked with a mod on his site, the mod called his contact on the UF recruiting staff and was told this kid is a hard take if he committed. They were absolutely shocked he was committing elsewhere but, they (UF) never called him. I think he is a 3 star now but, will be upgraded to 4 star this season. I don't follow recruiting much but, it seems we are offering a lot of 3 star OL...

I'm not defending this staff at all, or denying your friend's story. The results so far (10 commits, only four 4-stars) says it all. It's still early....and I'm on record as predicting a 12th ranked class. But the closer we get to fall camp ranked in the high 20's the less confident I am in that 12th ranked class prediction.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
To be frank, i was expecting A LOT more in recruiting from Mullen based on his comments upon accepting the job and, understanding the expectations. I am highly disappointed with the Mississippi State staff we now have on campus. This staff was 33 - 39 vs. the SEC and 2 - 15 vs. ranked opponents. Mullen will have to upgrade this staff and get some great position coaches who are also great recruiters... I hope that I am wrong about this staff... I am tired of watching ****ty football in The Swamp.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

The pumpers are gonna dispute this info up until the day we fire mullen. My prediction is 2.5 years.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
What I am smoking? Its pretty simple to see Mullen and his staff are lacking in recruiting skills if he pulls some joke #14 or so recruiting class that doesn't even crack the top 6 in the SEC. That is joke Mac level recruiting for a 2nd class at UF.

That a flagship school in the talent rich state of FL is fighting the likes of Miss State and Ole Miss in the rankings would be a complete joke.

I am holding out hope he turns it around big time but there should be no sugar coating it if he pulls some mediocre #7 or so ranked SEC class.

I'm sorry for the wise crack, you're points are well taken, or at least they were before the last 8 years happened. The fact is that we are NOT what we once were in the minds of this current generation of recruits. The facilities still lag behind the top-flight programs around the country, not an excuse, just a fact. We haven't won a meaningful championship since these kids were in pre-school, again not an excuse, but a fact of life. Also, deserved or not, we Gator fans have a national reputation for being fickle, hyper-critical ass-hats. Like it or not, that too is a fact.

Expecting the sort of results Urban got after a relatively short "down turn," under these circumstances, just isn't realistic. I'm not a full-tilt DM pumper by any means. I was not thrilled with the hire and the recruiting for 2019 is mediocre to this point, at best. But this is where we are now, and any incremental progress we make from this less than admirable position should be welcomed and appreciated. If instant gratification is the only acceptable relief for our current situation, we are all in for a major letdown. I will be appropriately disgusted and rueful if and when DM fails to produce real progress on the field, and eventually on the recruiting trail. Until then, forgive me if I forego the gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair. It just ain't what I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator