Grier Starting Saturday

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with starting Grier to see how he reacts compared to Treon last week. Treon started 6-6 last week with over a 100 passing yards. Doubt he beats that but we'll see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Swamped Gator;n275668 said:
I honestly am beginning to think this was all part of Mac's plan to build both QB's up and keep them both in the program. We all have known that Grier has looked better in practice and camp for awhile now. But starting Grier right of the bat would have looked unfair to Treon and quite possibly it would have made him transfer. This way it looks more like Grier earned it while Mac still gave Treon a fair shot. I fully expect Treon to be a part of all of our game plans the rest of the year and I still think he will play a lot in this ECU game.
Or, possibly, he did give both a fair chance and chooses the best.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
In the future, Treon will get plenty of playing time when we are up by a few touchdowns. He will also get a degree from UF. Grier is a NFL type QB--Treon is not. It wouldn't make sense for him to transfer. However, we will need them both throughout this season and next. Mac is handling the situation with this in mind imo.

Seka

Apr 19, 2015
oxrageous;n275689 said:
Good. Hopefully we won't carry the rotation nonsense into SEC play. Hand Harris a clipboard and the transfer form he'll likely ask for, and let's move forward. Grier has four Heisman's with his name on them.

Me and the Grand Wizard both agree with Mr. Ox. :fistbump:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n275668 said:
I honestly am beginning to think this was all part of Mac's plan to build both QB's up and keep them both in the program. We all have known that Grier has looked better in practice and camp for awhile now. But starting Grier right of the bat would have looked unfair to Treon and quite possibly it would have made him transfer. This way it looks more like Grier earned it while Mac still gave Treon a fair shot. I fully expect Treon to be a part of all of our game plans the rest of the year and I still think he will play a lot in this ECU game.
I think that this is the case as well. Give TH the start last week, he's got game experience. Build both QB's and get WG some game time. Think it will be Grier from here on out.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I read Mac's frustration over the guy throwing late over the middle in the red during practice as being aimed at Treon. That might have tipped the scales toward Grier, and it could be for good. IMO Mac has handled this situation well, allowing both guys the full and equal chance to earn the job and promoting healthy competition between the two that led to greater development. It's time to see what Grier can do leading the offense for a full game.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n276096]I read Mac's frustration over the guy throwing late over the middle in the red during practice as being aimed at Treon. That might have tipped the scales toward Grier, and it could be for good. IMO Mac has handled this situation well, allowing both guys the full and equal chance to earn the job and promoting healthy competition between the two that led to greater development. It's time to see what Grier can do leading the offense for a full game. [/QUOTE]
1319630.jpg

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n276096]I read Mac's frustration over the guy throwing late over the middle in the red during practice as being aimed at Treon. That might have tipped the scales toward Grier, and it could be for good. IMO Mac has handled this situation well, allowing both guys the full and equal chance to earn the job and promoting healthy competition between the two that led to greater development. It's time to see what Grier can do leading the offense for a full game. [/QUOTE]

I don't know which student it was and I don't care. This is a culture building moment, if you have a good culture that makes everything more effective. It is not yet time to see what Grier can do for a full game, that time might not be for several more games. Competition under fair conditions at all positions is part of having that culture of success.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I think starting #WilleyG is the right choice. Don't get it twisted I still think Harris is really good, but with WRs that can get open we need a QB that can get them the ball. Now my opinion might change if we don't get the OL on par to stop those SEC DLs and we need a more athletic QB.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
TN G8tr;n276087 said:
I think that this is the case as well. Give TH the start last week, he's got game experience. Build both QB's and get WG some game time. Think it will be Grier from here on out.

I'd be shocked if they split snaps next week. Treon will play the fourth quarter when the game is in hand.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have no problem with both playing a lot. When we hit the SEC schedule the starter is going to lose some time from concussion or something tweaking when he hits the turf. The Oline will have to make huge strides fast to keep that from happening. If both are moving the ball about the same, keep both of them sharp. Now if one clearly rises above, then it is a done deal.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I don't get the feeling the competition is over. Grier still has some proving to do. And I think Treon is getting better because of the competition. Mac has handled it just right so far.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
threatmatrix;n276625 said:
I don't get the feeling the competition is over. Grier still has some proving to do. And I think Treon is getting better because of the competition. Mac has handled it just right so far.
Do you actually think this competition is that close? It's to push Grier and keep Treon around this year. Nothing more.

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
lagator;n275671 said:
We will get another look at both which is good. But from watching the first game, and hearing how Mac was pissed about QB's being late to get the ball out in practice, I think the start in the NMSU game was probably Treon's last as long as Will stays healthy. I guess Grier could lay an egg, but I doubt it and expect him to take the job on Saturday.

Totally agree although I still want to know what Grier's weakness as a QB is. Something tells me at this point it's probably inconsistency.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
From looking at his av ^, I'll bet Doopree has Roto-Rooter on speed dial

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;276635 said:
Do you actually think this competition is that close? It's to push Grier and keep Treon around this year. Nothing more.

Yep

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Ray Finkle;n276635 said:

We will know better tonight. Treon looked good last week and IMO got better in the second half. I'm hoping he's responding to new coaching so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. We haven't seen Grier under pressure yet. At this point we are all expecting Grier to be the one but he's still got a game or two before we can confirm that.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Doopree;n276810 said:
Totally agree although I still want to know what Grier's weakness as a QB is. Something tells me at this point it's probably inconsistency.
I'm thinking it's cougar snapper, but that could definitely lead to lack of concentration and inconsistent performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator