Happy Birthday Coach Spurrier

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
79 today. Without him........who knows? My favorite player and coach in my 60 yrs of gator fandom. He made everything better after he came back to coach.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
All you have to do is count the Championships before him ZERO
10 win seasons before him pretty sure that’s a big goose egg as well

Happy Birthday Coach

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
and before he played NO New Years Day bowl games. Two with him playing. N

Have you eaten at his place? I think we’ve discussed this before but not sure. But for someone like you who remembers all those things, it’s almost a museum.

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
clapping-hands-round-of-applause-leonardo-dicaprio-cpj7ncysdvc4pste.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
79 today. Without him........who knows? My favorite player and coach in my 60 yrs of gator fandom. He made everything better after he came back to coach.
Yeah, if Horseteeth Fooley, who ran the selection committee had hired Mike Archer from LSU like he wanted to do in 1990, and BHG HAD NOT intervened, we could have been .500 forever and fought Vandy for last every year.

Boy that Fooley sure knows how to pick them. GOAT Im told.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Obviously, Spurrier eventually found his way back to the SEC, as he was hired in 1990 by Florida. The athletic director for the Gators at the time was Arnsparger, who had advocated on his way out for Archer to replace him at LSU when Spurrier was available and wanted the Tigers' job. With prominent Florida power brokers leading the charge, Arnsparger brought Spurrier back to his alma mater."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Right, Fooley was the AAD who ran the search committee who recommended Archer.

Archer was fired the next season after another losing season.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Right, Fooley was the AAD who ran the search committee who recommended Archer.

Archer was fired the next season after another losing season.

I suspect the lean toward Archer was Arnsparger's doing and Foley was simply playing the role of yes man, for which he was well suited. If he had no clue what to hire after Meyer left, he certainly didn't back in 1990.

Spurrier was seen as outside the tough-defense SEC mold and questioned of course for his work ethic. Arnsparger, an old school NFL DC, famously sidestepped the subject publicly, but he wanted no part of SOS. The boosters saved us.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I suspect the lean toward Archer was Arnsparger's doing and Foley was simply playing the role of yes man, for which he was well suited.
Yes, of course. But it shows a lot about him that he didnt realize he had a goat available and didnt run into Arnsparger's office and demand he reconsider. He doesnt have a clue what a competent football coach is.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, of course. But it shows a lot about him that he didnt realize he had a goat available and didnt run into Arnsparger's office and demand he reconsider. He doesnt have a clue what a competent football coach is.

He was equally a yes man for Machen and yet he occasionally gets credit for Meyer, which is insanely laughable. Jeremy Foley is nothing but a poser as is his successor.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
"Obviously, Spurrier eventually found his way back to the SEC, as he was hired in 1990 by Florida. The athletic director for the Gators at the time was Arnsparger, who had advocated on his way out for Archer to replace him at LSU when Spurrier was available and wanted the Tigers' job. With prominent Florida power brokers leading the charge, Arnsparger brought Spurrier back to his alma mater."

Never trust an injun...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
You're just wrong, take the L ... next thing you know, you'll be trying to tell me there was a Joe's Deli on 34th Street!!!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Have you eaten at his place? I think we’ve discussed this before but not sure. But for someone like you who remembers all those things, it’s almost a museum.
Saw the first bad review on the Family page. Not for the food, but the service and manager on duty. Lady didn't sound like a Karen at all, just deeply disappointed and as long as she was telling the truth, she was being beyond reasonable.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're just wrong, take the L ... next thing you know, you'll be trying to tell me there was a Joe's Deli on 34th Street!!!
One of my friends who worked in ADs Office back in the day used to say it was surprisingly stressful. "There wasnt enough room in building for both Fooleys ego and Spurrier's."

One of those two EARNED the right to have a big ego.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Joe’s Deli was the first restaurant I ever ate at in Gainesville. Mrs G and I went there when we were dating. Had to be ‘90 or ‘91. Best as I can remember it was on 13th, near Shands. Does that sound right or am I mixing it up with somewhere else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator