Have a Blessed Thanksgiving and GO Gators!

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Alligator_turkey_Thanksgiving_flag_Swampsgiving.jpg

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
More finger wagging............or so I have been told.

Every year at this time I remember my childhood and the Thanksgiving days at my grandmother's in Polk County. They lived on a grove of citrus that bordered a swamp. I think the swamp protected the trees from freezes and the dark soil made them better. No better pink grapefruit ever was tasted by human beings. My grandfather and I would get up early and go to the local park and reserves us some tables for the noon meal. The kids would play with abandon while the adults caught up with lives that were now further apart. It was and will always be my favorite holiday.

Today, I was lamenting the fact that those times are gone and how much I seem to miss and need them. Then it struck me they are never gone. They reside in my memory like a large sum of money in the bank I can always depend on. With everyone so upset by the news and divided by our tribal instincts to attack or defend that which we believe to be a threat to America or own personal lives we need to remember we are first a country of human beings that need each other more than we need politicians to dominate our lives. I don't' know why we get so upset. Like the weather or the next train, another target for our ire or affections will soon show up to dominate the news and disappoint us again in some way.

We lose perspective when the media and Madison Ave continually show us what we "need" ,are missing or who to fear. What we truly need is each other. We need to treat each other with decency and kindness. That would go so far in removing so much distrust and anger in our world today. If any of us could travel to much of the undeveloped world or even places in America we would truly understand how fortunate we are. I think sometimes we get caught up in what we personally want or need and forget that giving gives so much more to us spiritually than consuming more and more to make us feel like we are successful.

I see so much on FB of my former students and friends living and behaving so much different that what I see on the news. I think I live in a different world than what the media shows me. Yes, we have plenty of messed up folks in our midst and they gum up the works. I remember teaching them so often. Lost children that only needed someone to care for them and keep them safe while negotiating the fearsome world of childhood. Then they become adults and have no clue how to be happy. This is why I will always believe schools and teaching is so MUCH more than the three Rs. I have had many kids make it clear to me it was a sanctuary for them against a world they were lost in. But I have gone on a tangent. My wish for you and your family is that you forget old conflicts, forgive and be thankful for the food and love we still have at Thanksgiving. Peace to you,

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
btw I just learned a few minutes ago I am going to be a grandfather for the first time. At the age of 65 I will have my first grandchild. Probably about time. ..................SOOOOOOO Much to be tbankful for...........:sohappy:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
btw I just learned a few minutes ago I am going to be a grandfather for the first time. At the age of 65 I will have my first grandchild. Probably about time. ..................SOOOOOOO Much to be tbankful for...........:sohappy:

Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.