..."He needs "to have a talk" with Ohio State coach Urban Meyer"...

Gatorious

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
HS coach says star recruit was misled by Ohio State

An Ohio State-Michigan recruiting battle ended Wednesday when Detroit Cass Tech running back Mike Weber signed with Ohio State.
But the departure of Ohio State running backs coach Stan Drayton on Thursday brought hard feelings, and in a Detroit radio interview Friday Weber's high school coach, Thomas Wilcher, said Weber was misled by Ohio State.
Wilcher, a former Michigan running back, said Friday that he needs "to have a talk" with Ohio State coach Urban Meyer about "respect" and what he feels was deception when Drayton left to take the same job with the Chicago Bears on Thursday. Weber had previously decommitted from Michigan due to uncertainty surrounding the since-departed coaching staff.
Meyer admitted Wednesday that Weber's ultimate decision went to the 11th hour.
"(Weber) wanted to stay committed, he wanted to show he understands about commitment," Wilcher said. "That's what he showed Ohio State in the end. They're at least supposed to show him the same type of courtesy.
"It's a black eye on the university. They're out there getting these young men under false pretenses."

full-

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaa...ate/ar-AA94Qs5

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Seems to be a common theme...wait make any coaching changes until the day after NSD. These kids need to understand the attrition in the coaching profession is constant and they need to commit to a school instead of a coach.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
These days, you can't even rely on the HEAD coach being there from day to day, the assistants moving on is even more frequent.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Urbie will burn a bridge in a New York minute.

Caloosahatchee

I voted for Law!
Sep 12, 2014
Not surprising in the least. Made me feel good when I saw reports that our staff was honest with CeCe about the DL coach situation. Not to pile on him anymore than has been done, but I just can't see Urban caring about this. "Business as usual".

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I just read that article and was coming here to post it. Beat me to it.

Saw that UF was mentioned at the end of the article but no mention that we were supposedly and hopefully honest about our situation. Also no mention that UCLA also lost their DC the day after NSD.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n173032]It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, the infamous words of a transactional attorney.:whistle:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is really another example of this getting out of hand. We're giving the kids too much power here. I don't love the idea of flat out lying to a kid(though about 99% of what these coaches say on the recruiting trail is untrue), but I also think it's ridiculous to commit to a school because of a position coach. The HC being there for 4-5 years is enough of a gamble. A good coordinator is almost certain to get a look if he's successful, or be on the hot seat if he isn't. Position coach? Thinking they'll be your coach for your college career is ludicrous.

In Meyer's defense, these guys are probably constantly getting offers from other places. It's quite possible that he didn't even know. He also maybe found out late in the game and asked him to stay on through NSD. As wrong as that sounds, how is it the HC's fault that an assistant decides to bail? Should the entire class be affected as a result?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator