Head Coaching Candidates Thread; Brian Kelly goes to LSU

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
If I hear one more person say we should give Mark Stoops a look I'm going to lose it. The guy resembles a 45k per year union rep that sweats in 30 degree weather and at his best looks like he slept in his clothes on the couch after tying one one. It's not even a pass for me. If we hired him, I would seriously consider disconnecting from the sport all together.

Have you considered Mark Stoops? Just asking...for a friend

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So he has a huge talent edge against his competition then. How is he doing with the coaching side?

He now has a talent advantage, his first two years not so much. He's 38-12, after going 7-7 in year 1. Not too bad (but it is a G5).....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He now has a talent advantage, his first two years not so much. He's 38-12, after going 7-7 in year 1. Not too bad (but it is a G5).....
Going 31-5 in his last 36 is pretty decent. Better learn all you can about him boys and girls.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Going 31-5 in his last 36 is pretty decent. Better learn all you can about him boys and girls.

Agreed, it's impressive AF honestly. I'm trying not to fall into the same "we're getting Chip Kelly" trap I fell into last time, but this seems like a lot of smoke. I think he's come in here and clean house, straighten out some of the attitude on this team (guys like Copeland), build a similar foundation as UGA/Alabama/Ohio State/Clemson, and start landing top 5 to 10 classes w/ a couple of 5-stars every year, etc. But again, I'm going to be 'cautious' for now....

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If it is Napier, I'm ok with it. Hear he runs a tight ship. I may just be so over Mullen to care. In addition, I know it may be too much to ask for but........

Just ask that the guy can Coach and also....
*Knows how to hire coaches
*Play the best player rather than "evaluating" and "loyalty"
*Doesn't mind getting in a Coaches AZZ when he needs to.
*Be a dang RECRUITER

Then UF needs to do its part:
*Open up the checkbook for Recruiting
*Supportive Administration
*Open up the checkbook on Recruiting
*Did I mention the checkbook?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Local radio in the Jax area suggest Napier is Strickland's top target. Just another rumor to throw on a pile of rumors. Napier must be near the top of his list, but likely to be a top target for several jobs. Don't really know much about the guy.
Another talking head said Stoops (Bob) was interested too. Same rumor we've heard before. There does seem to be a common thought that this hire will be made soon and likely this week. Maybe they have legit info, maybe they're full of sh!t.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
If you're hearing Napier to LSU, they're on at least choice #4 or 5. Their AD, arrogant or not, is going for the home run hire - which is why he's offered Riley, Fisher, & Tucker. Mark Stoops may even be higher on their list than Napier. They've also mentioned Rhule.

I heard Coach O being ousted weeks before it happened. My Son-in-Law is a Prof at LSU and he says the rumors are flying. I'm sure the AD is going full out with guns blazing BUT LSU is a different kind of place. Bobby Bowden turned it down, Jimbo turned it down...And LSU is supposedly offering BIG $$$$$.

I like So Louisiana but if you're Kiffin with a house in Boca...It's UF over LSU every time. Fisher ain't coming, nor Tucker...Maybe Stoops.

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
The year is 2023. The Gators have just defeated Kentucky by the score of 21-17 in Lexington. The Gators set an NCAA record for running the ball 15 consecutive times on a 12 minute drive to run out the clock. Emory Jones finished his Redshirt Covid Extra Senior season with a passer rating of 41.7 on a 4-6 night passing for 27 yards. Coach Billy Napier was confused for a local Kentucky Meth head after opening his mouth and sounding even more hee haw than former head coach Butters. Gator Nation longs for days of the forward pass...

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I think he's come in here and clean house, straighten out some of the attitude on this team (guys like Copeland)....
Franz and Buddy (I know...) mentioned that one of Mullen's biggest problems was he didn't understand how important NIL changed the game and because of it there was a lot of dissention in the locker room. While I am not in the locker room I do understand people and the team concept dynamics. While every player at UGA has been taken care of in many different ways since NIL, Florida hasn't set up anything yet and it has caused division in the locker room. I think Copeland is an emotional type who is one of those guys to watch to see if there are team issues versus him being the actual problem. We have had WRs open all season that EJ isn't seeing and now that it affects them wrt $ it is starting to make sense.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Is 5 years really that long? You’re acting like he’s 91 and last coached in 1953 with an onion on his belt.

I ain't saying Stoops is old, but...

He sat behind Jesus in the third grade
Pre-ordered the first ever KJ version of the Bible and...
his SSN is .. 1.

Let's try and get someone who can relate somewhat to the 'kids' and can recruit the Mamas.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Ol' Booby seemed to win the Mamas over pretty good, Wonder if bob can do same

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Ol' Booby seemed to win the Mamas over pretty good, Wonder if bob can do same

No idea..

My Mom worked at my old high school in Tallahassee.
It was a big deal when SOS, Bowden, Holtz or someone of their stature came to visit. Makes a big difference in your level of commitment to the player. Not sure if Stoops is that kind of hands on coach/recruiter or if he left it mainly to the staff to do the heavy lifting.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m reminded of University Hospital in Tampa years ago amputating the wrong leg on a man. If it’s going to be Stoops, it better be Bob. Gator Nation will have a cow if it’s Mark.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Franz and Buddy (I know...) mentioned that one of Mullen's biggest problems was he didn't understand how important NIL changed the game and because of it there was a lot of dissention in the locker room. While I am not in the locker room I do understand people and the team concept dynamics. While every player at UGA has been taken care of in many different ways since NIL, Florida hasn't set up anything yet and it has caused division in the locker room. I think Copeland is an emotional type who is one of those guys to watch to see if there are team issues versus him being the actual problem. We have had WRs open all season that EJ isn't seeing and now that it affects them wrt $ it is starting to make sense.

Don't ever listen to ANYTHING Franz Beard ever has to say. Dude's an idiot, seriously. Buddy is partial retard as well....

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree on the recruiting - he won't half-ass it like Mullen. Also, he'd establish a Bama/UGA type infrastructure (he's not taking the job unless he gets the commitment from the UAA). If anything, he flames out in 4+ years and leaves the next guy the foundation for a winning program. The Harsin comparison makes no sense (completely different backgrounds, coaching trees, etc).
Here's the thing with Napier. He'd probably improve this current class and his 1st class that he gets a full year to recruit would be pretty solid. But after a year or 2 of his offense, it's gonna be hard to be that power house recruiter everyone claims him to be. When he was at bama he was selling kiffin or whoever the OC was scheme.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I disagree on the recruiting - he won't half-ass it like Mullen. Also, he'd establish a Bama/UGA type infrastructure (he's not taking the job unless he gets the commitment from the UAA). If anything, he flames out in 4+ years and leaves the next guy the foundation for a winning program. The Harsin comparison makes no sense (completely different backgrounds, coaching trees, etc).

Not gonna lie, I really didn't know anything about Napier but after doing a little reading your correct. He's not really comparable to Harsin at all. If I had to compare him to anyone it'd probably Jim Mcelwein. Both worked under Saban, both went to struggling group of 5 programs and turned them around somewhat. Both run a boring ass style of offense. And both obviously have some form of a mild retardation. :lol:

In all seriousness after reading up on him he'd probably be my second pick that we could actually get. He turned down Auburn and Tenn last year because they wouldn't commit to giving him what he wanted, something similar to what Bama has as far as a support staff and resources. He seems like more the CEO type as opposed to an X and O guy. And looking back on Stricklin's press conference yesterday he kept bringing up wanting a coach to achieve sustained or long term success. That's not really the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about Kiffen. :lol:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's the thing with Napier. He'd probably improve this current class and his 1st class that he gets a full year to recruit would be pretty solid. But after a year or 2 of his offense, it's gonna be hard to be that power house recruiter everyone claims him to be. When he was at bama he was selling kiffin or whoever the OC was scheme.

I think if he comes to UF he'll hire an OC. He took on the QB/OC role at ULL likely due to trying to spread out his assistant coaches money (he took on a role in order to use that money to bring in a better DC and/or other position coach). I think he realizes at a P5 he should be more CEO, less coordinator.....and least I hope so (if we hire him). Obviously he'll have input in the offense, but I expect an OC hire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator