Here's what I find interesting - Nevada offense?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just watched the game from Saturday again and couldn't help but think of where I've seen the offense from. I've been a season ticket holder here in Nevada for the past 5 years. I had the opportunity to see Colin Kaepernick develop over the years and now Cody Fajardo do the same. Our offensive scheme was that of this Mountain West team. The Pistol was run over 85% of the time. Watching the replay tonight, it's clear. The only difference is, Treon didn't run the read as much and gain the yardage himself.

BTW…DYK… Kaepernick and Fajardo are the only 2 QBs in FBS history to have 3k yards rushing and 9k yards passing?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
and .......... ?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I see your point there. Looks as if they just went with the straight play and no read. Seems when especially JD was making the read too many mistakes being made. Heck he couldn't even pull it down when necessary and get a gagillion yards when he needed to. But last Saturday..... took more off the offensive plan to just line up, make good decisions, and the OL was able to just TEE OFF. Therefore mistakes were virtually other than the fumble minimal. As this offense goes then you add and ramp it up some Get TH comfortable in what he can do and let the game slow down for him.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Kaepernik is garbage I can't believe the 49ers gave him that much money

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MatthewM.;n98023 said:
Kaepernik is garbage I can't believe the 49ers gave him that much money

They should draft Driskel as his replacement.

klgator

Jul 29, 2014
A sportscaster said that Treon changed several calls at the line checking out of a pass play to a run play that was invariably successful. That's definitely one thing that has been missing in our offense, someone who can read defenses.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
klgator;n98050 said:
A sportscaster said that Treon changed several calls at the line checking out of a pass play to a run play that was invariably successful. That's definitely one thing that has been missing in our offense, someone who can read defenses.
I don't think that happened.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The best part of what we were doing was running the ball out of spread formations. UGA had no choice but to keep their secondary spread out, and our blockers just had to beat guys one on one in the box. We would have passed it more if UGA had started to crowd the box and left our WRs open on the line more, but they inexplicably never did.

It's like when you're taking a true/false test, and you have like 30 true answers in a row, but you keep wanting to say false just to change the pattern. UGA kept banking on the fact that we would eventually try to pass the ball, but we never did. :lol:

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That he didn't throw the ball - was it his inexperience, the howling wind, or a combination of the two? Probably the latter. Mason of UGA passed a lot, but (a) they had to, and (b) he's a more experienced passer. I tend to think that we'll see a longer leash and more passing this Saturday night.

One thing I found interesting that was in today's Savannah Morning News (aka the Savannah Morning Mistake - the most pro-UGA sports section you're gonna find outside of the Athens Banner-Herald - of course I don't expect them to cover us, and while they do give close-by GA Southern a lot of ink, it's as if GA Tech doesn't even exist). They printed today that our win Saturday was the FIRST time one team had two backs go over 120 yds against UGA in a single game. EVER.

That is some accomplishment, and surely has to demoralize the Whipped Puppies even more than they already are.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n98214 said:
That he didn't throw the ball - was it his inexperience, the howling wind, or a combination of the two? Probably the latter. Mason of UGA passed a lot, but (a) they had to, and (b) he's a more experienced passer. I tend to think that we'll see a longer leash and more passing this Saturday night.
It has nothing to do with inexperience or anything else. Chimp said we would run the ball and Chimp was happiest in 2012 when we threw the ball about 10 times a game. That's "balance" to Chimp and that's the best it will be.

One thing I found interesting that was in today's Savannah Morning News (aka the Savannah Morning Mistake - the most pro-UGA sports section you're gonna find outside of the Athens Banner-Herald - of course I don't expect them to cover us, and while they do give close-by GA Southern a lot of ink, it's as if GA Tech doesn't even exist). They printed today that our win Saturday was the FIRST time one team had two backs go over 120 yds against UGA in a single game. EVER.

That is some accomplishment, and surely has to demoralize the Whipped Puppies even more than they already are.
It demoralizes me even more because I know that we have an All Conference caliber back who, before that game, gets 4 carries a game unless Jones is hurt. Same deal last year. He simply has no eye for talent and only cares about how our WRs, TEs, or RBs block.

That isn't going to change.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorFin;n98138 said:
We didn't go pistol formation once as far as I can recall.

Not sure if you didn't watch much of the game or not sure if you know said formation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator