Hollywood Bob rates greatest UF safeties

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Pretty cool that Hollywood Bob, whoever the Fuchs he is, found clips on all those guys, even going back to the 1980's. He could only find one play for Tony Lilly (never heard of him TBH), but still impressive.

5dix3r.jpg

Almost forgot about him, but he was good.

Tony Lilly was Bob Lilly’s nephew if I recall. Started in a Super Bowl for Denver where he was burned pretty badly for 2 TD’s. I will always remember watching him get carried by Herschel Walker for about 30 yards while hanging of his back during one of Hershel’s 200+ yards game in the early 80’s. Other than that, he was a pretty good player!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tony Joiner would like to have a word. He is on the phone, but only has 5 minutes.

Also I either misread the list or perhaps he fell just outside the top 10, but I did not see KJ on the list?
A worst 10 would be a fun list.

Not really sure how to do it. Was Wondy worse than Stiner? Probably but he wasnt on the field as much. Actually I think Juwaan Taylor takes the cake but it is hard to separate Taylor and Stiner in my mind and hard to tell which safety screwed up the worst when a receiver runs a post route into the middle of the field and NEITHER safety is on the TV screen.

Don't even fuchsing mention Kyle Jackson. There was a time when I thought he couldnt be topped, but boy was I wrong. Jackson just totally BLEW (like daydreaming or petit mal.seizure or something) two or three plays a game, no doubt. But Stiner and Taylor did that almost every series. You'd have better luck trying to find a play that they did their job or in fact did ANYTHING. Hell, I dare you to describe what they were doing most plays. It sure wasnt coverage. It wasnt robber either. It was just sort of hanging out about 9 yards deep, sort of floating.

Joiner was pretty good for what he played, a STRONG safety. Really just a lightbacker. Crum on the other side, who was pretty strong in coverage (and serviceable setting the edge) along with good corners, and a baddass FS up top made that possible. SS didnt have to cover the TE.

Either Joiner (remember he was 225 ish) or Crum would be the best LB on the team if they were here today.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
A worst 10 would be a fun list.

Not really sure how to do it. Was Wondy worse than Stiner? Probably but he wasnt on the field as much. Actually I think Juwaan Taylor takes the cake but it is hard to separate Taylor and Stiner in my mind and hard to tell which safety screwed up the worst when a receiver runs a post route into the middle of the field and NEITHER safety is on the TV screen.

Don't even fuchsing mention Kyle Jackson. There was a time when I thought he couldnt be topped, but boybwas I wrong. Jackson just totally BLEW (like daydreaming or petit mal.seizure or something) two or three plays a game, no doubt. But Stiner and Taylor that almost every series. You'd have better luck trying to find a play that they did their job or in fact did ANYTHING. Hell, I dare you to describe what they were doing most plays. It sure wasnt coverage. It wasnt robber either. It was just sort of hanging out about 9 yards deep.

Both a Top 10 and Worst list are totally subjective. I mean Major Wright could hit, but could not cover as a safety. Elam sucked as a cover safety but as a nickel in man he was great. so I look at all guys in total and when they played. I just don;t think we had a lot of great safeties in total. maybe why I give a guy like Todd Johnson more credit b/c he was okay at everything. People forget how bad Joiner was b/c he played next to KJ who was fkking horrendous so Joiner looked okay, or he played next to RFN which means Joiner could screw up and still not look so bad

Wondy was a CB not really a safety. The worst list is too easy. KJ, Stiner, J. Taylor, Joiner, Cory Bailey,, Daryl Dixon, maybe Monty Grow or Michael Gilmore, even Stewart was terrible, but compared to some of these guys he looked like Paul Krause. Which is why I can't understand Neal on the list. Awful as a safety is pass defense, yet Marcus Maye was also bad, but no worse than Neal. And compared to the shyt I just listed, Marcus Maye looked like a star.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Both a Top 10 and Worst list are totally subjective. I mean Major Wright could hit, but could not cover as a safety. Elam sucked as a cover safety but as a nickel in man he was great. so I look at all guys in total and when they played. I just don;t think we had a lot of great safeties in total. maybe why I give a guy like Todd Johnson more credit b/c he was okay at everything. People forget how bad Joiner was b/c he played next to KJ who was fkking horrendous so Joiner looked okay, or he played next to RFN which means Joiner could screw up and still not look so bad

Wondy was a CB not really a safety. The worst list is too easy. KJ, Stiner, J. Taylor, Joiner, Cory Bailey,, Daryl Dixon, maybe Monty Grow or Michael Gilmore, even Stewart was terrible, but compared to some of these guys he looked like Paul Krause. Which is why I can't understand Neal on the list. Awful as a safety is pass defense, yet Marcus Maye was also bad, but no worse than Neal. And compared to the shyt I just listed, Marcus Maye looked like a star.

Stinker was the worst I’ve ever seen at Florida. But Cory Bailey , Nick Washington and Kyle Jackson aren’t far behind. All three of those guys were blue chips . We haven’t had a safety of Marcus Maye caliber since he left , so hopefully a couple of these young bucks step up .

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Yep, so many variables, it's hard to put a Top 10 list in order. Or even name an All Time Team. It would depend on who they're playing against.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Who is Hollywood Bob? I know a Hollywood Blob but not Bob.

Done Deal Bob?

I, for one, am pretty unhappy with Chip Kelly's performance as our coach. Apparently he's subcontracted responsibilities to a regional vacation supply company - Dander Mullflin or some such. Supposedly we were named assistant to the SEC Champions - they put up a sign and everything.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Oh - you knew all about Tony Lilly, who played 40 years ago in 1980-83? Okay, alter kocker. Now tell me that one again about how you think I'm older than you, so I can have a good laugh!
Tony Lily was nothing more than a head hunter. Couldn’t/wouldn’t cover for sh*t. He cost us a win against USC with a late hit. We all called him “late hit Lily”.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Tony Lily was nothing more than a head hunter. Couldn’t/wouldn’t cover for sh*t. He cost us a win against USC with a late hit. We all called him “late hit Lily”.
Thanks for the breakdown, Gramps! :D;)

To be honest I am old enough that I would've known about a Gator player from that time, IF I had followed the Gators prior to getting that glorious UF acceptance letter in the mail. But in high school I followed the Canes by default, like I assume Gainesville HS kids typically root for the Gators unless and until they end up going to college somewhere else.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
:rolleyes:

Nobody roots for the Gators in South Florida unless they are a UF alum or have some connection to the school. However the Seminoles do have some local bandwagon fans who didn't go to FSU. You're always going to have contrarians who root for the local team's rival. The Gators are not considered a rival because we don't play them every year. I wish we would! It would get us more respect from SoFla HS coaches and recruits.

Meanwhile Donkey, you miserable old crank, speaking of contrarians, I'd like to see a show of hands from people who were surprised by your comment that doing a list of the all-time WORST safeties would be "more fun" for you.

Anyone?

Anyone?

raw

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Tony Joiner would like to have a word. He is on the phone, but only has 5 minutes.

Also I either misread the list or perhaps he fell just outside the top 10, but I did not see KJ on the list?

Kyle Jackson? Yeah, he's on the party line :)

Oh, wait. He missed another tackle.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Thanks for the breakdown, Gramps! :D;)

To be honest I am old enough that I would've known about a Gator player from that time, IF I had followed the Gators prior to getting that glorious UF acceptance letter in the mail. But in high school I followed the Canes by default, like I assume Gainesville HS kids typically root for the Gators unless and until they end up going to college somewhere else.

But you dont admit that, you keep that deep down inside. You are just a cane around here now. Everything else you said doesnt matter.

upload_2021-6-17_10-27-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-17_10-27-15.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-17_10-27-15.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
But you dont admit that, you keep that deep down inside. You are just a cane around here now. Everything else you said doesnt matter.

Wow you really are mad, aren't you bro, that your Gay Area teams managed to win Covid* Championships* in multiple sports, but meanwhile your little backwater village is so bland and boring that literally NOBODY NOTICED, except for you and your fellow Tampons. Sad! :(

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Wow you really are mad, aren't you bro, that your Gay Area teams managed to win Covid* Championships* in multiple sports, but meanwhile your little backwater village is so bland and boring that literally NOBODY NOTICED, except for you and your fellow Tampons. Sad! :(

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Who is Hollywood Idiot to rate any football position. Dude is a DOLT...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator