Hotel, airline programs

Discussion in 'Business, Investing & Finance' started by BMF, Nov 25, 2020.

1. BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $19,233
    Ratings:
    +26,092 / -394
    Me and @secgator started this convo in the politics forum, figured it was best moved here:

2. BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $19,233
    Ratings:
    +26,092 / -394
    @secgator - That much travel is a b*tch. I never minded a Mon thru Thurs type of travel, but when it goes over a weekend or more than a week, it feels like you're missing out on your "real" life (back home). In 2010, I went to Seattle to work the Vancouver Olympics - we did a cross border security operation w/ the Canucks and we stayed in Seattle for 6 weeks. I was single at the time, so we'd go out and tell girls we just got transferred there and we hadn't found an apartment yet so the CG was paying for a hotel until we found a place to live!! It was GREAT! I stayed 40+ nights at a Residence Inn on Lake Union. In 2008, I went to New Orleans & Baton Rouge for Hurricane Gustav and stayed 24+ nights...then went to Austin for Hurricane Ike, which came in right behind Gustav and stayed for about 20 nights.

We're going to Sarasota for Christmas. I'm booked in downtown at a boutique place, getting the government rate (about $123/night). With Platinum membership it usually includes free breakfast. We usually stay at the Ritz for a few nights, but it was too expensive this time (over $600/night) and didn't want to use the points.

I stayed at the Champs-Élysées Marriott using points in 2012. It was over 1000 euro's a night. Me and a CG buddy were traveling through Belgium and France and stayed at that hotel and the Brussels Marriott on points. I usually take the points vs. the check in gift, but they both gave a bottle of wine and a cheese/fruit plate. Free booze is always good!

I've had a few other great freebies, but I love the Marriott program. Hilton isn't bad either, especially for work trips.

3. bradgator2

bradgator2 Rioting
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $6,323
    Ratings:
    +13,753 / -115
    I like the Marriott program and AMEX that supplies it with points.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator Well-Known Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $12,334
      Ratings:
      +20,074 / -131
      Fukkin rookies... :lol:

Again, let me know when your airline picks you up planeside at one gate at ATL, to personally drive you to your next gate at ATL... in a Porsche Cayenne.

Shall I show my personally engraved bottles of Johnnie Walker Blue again?

• secgator

secgator Well-Known Member
        Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
        $3,491
        Ratings:
        +4,001 / -56
        Yeah? Yeah? Well...well, uh....I have my own friggin jet. Yeppers. I just fly in to wherever the frick I want and then taxi up to my car---a Bugatti. Yeah....a Bugatti.....which is allowed to park beside all the other commercial jets. Yeah....how about that???:catfight:

My next trip I'm inviting BMF and Brad to come join the fun. How about that???:tongue:

:rotfl:

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $12,334
          Ratings:
          +20,074 / -131
          For me, it got pretty nuts with Delta for awhile... Before they had Diamond status, I was in a "super secret" category that I didn't even know existed, it was pretty awesome. I have just under 4 million miles flown with Delta, almost another 2 million with others, and about another 2 million on Russian cargo planes, but the only perk there was "good times" ;)

There were a couple of years where no matter how many miles/points I redeemed with Delta and Hilton, I was always carrying a balance of 1,000,000 miles/points to burn, and that's when flights/nights were FAR fewer cost in miles/points. Like Brad, I used Delta and Hilton AMEX cards for max value at that time. I prefer Marriott chain for rewards stays, so now I build those. They just didn't have as many international locations for me as Hilton at the time (believe it or not) for business stays. Hell, for almost 5 years, the Hilton Dubai Creek allowed me to leave two suits and some other clothes on location PERMANENTLY. I would book a REGULAR room there, and when i would check in, they'd almost always put me in a full blown apartment with all my clothes cleaned, pressed, and in the closet.

• secgator

secgator Well-Known Member
            Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
            $3,491
            Ratings:
            +4,001 / -56
            How in the world did you put up with that and survive? I mean seriously....being treated that way.

:bwahaha:

Even with perks & pleasures like that, the travel still gets old. I never did the international stuff--mostly windshield time here all over the southeast. And of course cross country for sales meetings, key appts, etc....but even with what I've done and still do on a limited basis---the travel does become tiresome, regardless what you're 'normal' friends think.(That you are simply on vacation ALL the time, playing and traveling and drinking it up)

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $12,334
              Ratings:
              +20,074 / -131
              I have to say, there's no way I would want any part of doing that with domestic legs.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $19,233
                Ratings:
                +26,092 / -394
                I may have missed this in other threads, but WTF did you do all those years?

I stayed at the JW Marriott Dubai for two nights when I was deployed. It was awesome! But it wasn't an apartment! It was 'government per diem rate'! In Kuwait and Iraq, I was in a warehouse sleeping in a bunk bed with ear plugs and an eye shield. Then I get to go to Dubai w/ the CO for a safety meeting and stayed in a JW Marriott sleeping in a king size bed!

• Taco Gratis

Taco Gratis Well-Known Member

Ratings:
                +4,337 / -254
                MV5BNjQ5MTE4NzA5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDc1Njg3Mg@@._V1_.jpg

• Detroitgator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $12,334
                  Ratings:
                  +20,074 / -131
                  When I met your son in Dubai, he was staying in a Holiday Inn... I was embarrassed, so I left my sunglasses on :lol:

In fairness, Holiday Inn's overseas are all new and all very nice for business travel.

PS I love that movie. He's always doing his seminar about life in your backpack... I only travel by backpack

• Like Like x 2
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • List
                  • Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $8,250
                    Ratings:
                    +13,391 / -984
                    Rookies????
                    Ric Flair Jet Flyin' - YouTube