Hurricane Idalia

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Perry is a quiet town. Not a lot going on. Driven through it many times.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to Perry, FL next week to be the safety officer for the 7 counties we're cleaning up - the boss told me, "We've already had 4 significant safety incidents." lol My football season is essentially over with though, I'll be working 7 days/week 12+ hr days (that "hr" was for Ox). @CGgater is working this as well, hopefully I'll cross paths with him somewhere in one of the counties - just for fun I'll gig him with a safety violation!

Also - anyone familiar with Perry? I've driven through multiple times going to Tallahassee, but have never stayed there.
Lots of meth. You'll love it

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also - anyone familiar with Perry? I've driven through multiple times going to Tallahassee, but have never stayed there.

I Work in Perry a couple days a week. Not a lot there. A few decent places to eat. Deal’s oyster house is probably the best.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I'm going to Perry, FL next week to be the safety officer for the 7 counties we're cleaning up - the boss told me, "We've already had 4 significant safety incidents." lol My football season is essentially over with though, I'll be working 7 days/week 12+ hr days (that "hr" was for Ox). @CGgater is working this as well, hopefully I'll cross paths with him somewhere in one of the counties - just for fun I'll gig him with a safety violation!

If you like Italian food--Mama's Italian Rest. is excellent. Goodman's BBQ is really good BBQ but more importantly it is cheap. Let me qualify all this is saying IF the restaurants are open and running like normal now. I haven't been down there in 2-3 years but used to work that area about 1-2 days every six weeks or so. Goodman's isn't the BBQ you'll write home about as being THE best you ever tasted but it is(was) better than average for sure. And you can eat virtually anything in there for under $10/person. Given it's been since before Covid that I was last there---prices may have gone up but I have no doubt it is still really affordable. Never eaten at what some folks used to say was their best restaurant in town, Deal's Seafood. Seemed I always hit Mama's or Goodmans and just never got the chance. And don't eat at McDonalds--worst anywhere.

As far as Hotels--I've always stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. Nice in there as are most HIEX are, but for some reason that location can be a bit pricey. If you're company is paying--stay there. Also a Hampton Inn there--heard it's nice(but it should be) but can't tell you anything firsthand. As everyone else prior here mentioned--it ain't a big place so don't expect much but it is quiet and there are some good places to eat at least. Or I should reiterate---there was, hopefully still will be. Check tripadvisor before you go

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Goodman’s is only open for take out and seems like only part time now. Not sure what’s going on there.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Goodman’s is only open for take out and seems like only part time now. Not sure what’s going on there.
Didn't know that. Obviously. That's a shame because they were typically packed every time I was there.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Johnson’s downtown is famous for their donuts as well.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If you like Italian food--Mama's Italian Rest. is excellent. Goodman's BBQ is really good BBQ but more importantly it is cheap. Let me qualify all this is saying IF the restaurants are open and running like normal now. I haven't been down there in 2-3 years but used to work that area about 1-2 days every six weeks or so. Goodman's isn't the BBQ you'll write home about as being THE best you ever tasted but it is(was) better than average for sure. And you can eat virtually anything in there for under $10/person. Given it's been since before Covid that I was last there---prices may have gone up but I have no doubt it is still really affordable. Never eaten at what some folks used to say was their best restaurant in town, Deal's Seafood. Seemed I always hit Mama's or Goodmans and just never got the chance. And don't eat at McDonalds--worst anywhere.

As far as Hotels--I've always stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. Nice in there as are most HIEX are, but for some reason that location can be a bit pricey. If you're company is paying--stay there. Also a Hampton Inn there--heard it's nice(but it should be) but can't tell you anything firsthand. As everyone else prior here mentioned--it ain't a big place so don't expect much but it is quiet and there are some good places to eat at least. Or I should reiterate---there was, hopefully still will be. Check tripadvisor before you go

I'm staying at the Hampton Inn - company has a block of rooms there, and temporary offices set up there. Thanks for the info. I'll be on the road most of the day everyday, so I will probably be in Live Oak and some of the other small towns in the 7 counties (Levy, Taylor, Suwannee, Hamilton, Madison, Dixie, and Lafyette).

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I'm staying at the Hampton Inn - company has a block of rooms there, and temporary offices set up there. Thanks for the info. I'll be on the road most of the day everyday, so I will probably be in Live Oak and some of the other small towns in the 7 counties (Levy, Taylor, Suwannee, Hamilton, Madison, Dixie, and Lafyette).
Your Hampton Inn is right in the middle between both Goodman's and Mama's.....easy walk to either one but looks like BBQ would have to be take out. There's a Fusion Buffet (country buffet/Chinese buffet....please pass me the collards, cheese grits, biscuits, and egg foo young) :dunno: right beside the Hampton. Never ate there so no clue. Actually there is ample supply of eating places really close so you won't go starving.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
While driving in Dosta, remember...
Everybody knows what to do when the intersection lights are blinking. Treat it like a stop sign.
Well, you do the same thing to a powerless signal intersection.
Also, remember that the vehicle to your right has the rightaway.
Good advice. But if four cars arrive at a four-way stop at exactly the same time, one from each direction, who has the legal right of way since there is a car to each car's right? :scratchhead:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

It smells like ass. Atleast it used to. I think they shut the mill down

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It smells like money. The mill is still open but they just announced last week that it will be closing in the next couple of months.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Speaking of Perry, does anyone know a criminal attorney in the Taylor County area? I have a friend who just caught a charge up there, and I don't know where to refer her.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Good advice. But if four cars arrive at a four-way stop at exactly the same time, one from each direction, who has the legal right of way since there is a car to each car's right? :scratchhead:
Easy. The person that is the biggest vehicle.
So, the liberal art professor in the Toyota Prius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.