Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
he just made one leap and said take me to the outside...he said let's ride."

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Thanx for posting that as I grew up in KY and always loved racing. In fact I was not too far away from where Big Red was living in the mid 80's and one of my regrets in life was never going to that farm to see him. I saw in the comments where someone asked what if Red had been bred to Zenyatta? Well I would have taken it one step farther. Red was the greatest colt I ever saw race and Ruffian was the greatest filly I ever saw race, and they were only a year different in age I believe. But sadly Ruffian met her demise in that made for TV match race against Foolish Pleasure, but can you imagine if Red and Ruffian mated? Here is the funny thing about that. Often times the best racehorses do not always make the best sires/dams. Many a champion horse that sold for peanuts as yearlings.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Claiborne Farm is a definite must see if you are near there. Wife and I toured it a few years back, they have the cemetery where he was buried, full body. Said on the tour that on the first of every month, every year, a dozen roses are delivered to be placed on his grave marker, completely anonymous.

We got to meet Orb, 2013 Derby winner, up close and personal. The horse is smart, when people started pulling their phones out to take pics, he posed.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
My sister was a huge horse person (then and now), so the triple crown races were always must see when I was a kid. Being pretty young at the time, I don’t really remember the first two legs, but I vividly remember the Belmont. What an incredible animal.
The video mentioned how he was on the cover of Time, Newsweek, and SI. What wasn’t mentioned was it was in the same week and no other animal or person had done it before or has done it since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.