Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray knocks it out of the park again.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
GatorTAG;n260815 said:
Muschamp beat 3 of those 4 teams last year. And I could coach them to a win over new Mexico State. I've been told we got rid of Muschamp for a better coach, so....

I think I'm beginning to figure you out, TAG. I've commented before how I'm puzzled that someone who was so supportive of giving the debacle that was the Muschamp experiment one more year--an obvious mistake--could be so critical of the new staff's aparent inability to stop that negative slide in recruiting immediately and put UF back where we belong. It's pretty obvious that you're obviously still enamored with the disaster we've had pacing the sidelines the past 4 years and believe we were impatient in telling him to hit the road. Not sure if you're a relative or what. But it's clear that you still aren't over it because I've always thought of you as a solid poster. Suddenly, everything's negative and just looking for something to complain about with the new staff. Time to let it go. Whether or not Mac is the next great thing is still in question. Whether or not we needed to move on from the monkey with a headset simply is not.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n261101 said:
I think I'm beginning to figure you out, TAG. I've commented before how I'm puzzled that someone who was so supportive of giving the debacle that was the Muschamp experiment one more year--an obvious mistake--could be so critical of the new staff's aparent inability to stop that negative slide in recruiting immediately and put UF back where we belong. It's pretty obvious that you're obviously still enamored with the disaster we've had pacing the sidelines the past 4 years and believe we were impatient in telling him to hit the road. Not sure if you're a relative or what.
:burn:

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
GatorJ;n261046 said:
Ray knocks it out of the park again.

KidDancing1.gif

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
soflagator;n261101 said:
I think I'm beginning to figure you out, TAG. I've commented before how I'm puzzled that someone who was so supportive of giving the debacle that was the Muschamp experiment one more year--an obvious mistake--could be so critical of the new staff's aparent inability to stop that negative slide in recruiting immediately and put UF back where we belong. It's pretty obvious that you're obviously still enamored with the disaster we've had pacing the sidelines the past 4 years and believe we were impatient in telling him to hit the road. Not sure if you're a relative or what. But it's clear that you still aren't over it because I've always thought of you as a solid poster. Suddenly, everything's negative and just looking for something to complain about with the new staff. Time to let it go. Whether or not Mac is the next great thing is still in question. Whether or not we needed to move on from the monkey with a headset simply is not.
Sofla, you're one of the smarter guys around here but you don't have me figured out and you are way off base on this. Muschamp is dead to me and I'm glad he's gone. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. And I'm not going to be shamed again.

I'm hopeful McElwain will be a great coach for us for many years. I think we all know we dont know jack about him until we get through a season or two. Thats an unsettling feeling ti have such an unproven coach at Florida again. I've always said I'm in wait and see mode.

You and I both know he can't compete in this league with a roster full of average players. I don't care if he is the second coming of Knute Rockne. He's not going to coach up 3 stars better than Bama coaches up 5 stars, and our 3 stars and all going to become 4 stars. So how's he going to fix that? Blue chips aren't going to jump aboard if we continue to go 6-6 and 7-5. You've got to get the Jimmy's and Joe's first.

BTW, I was blasted for being a pumper, and now I'm blasted for not. :rolleyes:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm as concerned about the 3 star tidal wave and the unproven or mediocre recruiters we have on this staff (except for Shannon and Rumph)... but let's give them a few months. This year is CRITICAL however, or this may extend for a decade. We simply don't have the talent to say "Wait til Next Year" AGAIN.

There is no doubting they pulled a rabbit out of their hat last year, especially WRT OL. Let's hope they are late bloomers this year, too.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
UGA always had better players but that didn't stop Spurrier from beating them every year. Maybe Spurrier was the second coming. Hopefully Mac is the third.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
GatorTAG;n261152 said:
Sofla, you're one of the smarter guys around here but you don't have me figured out and you are way off base on this. Muschamp is dead to me and I'm glad he's gone. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. And I'm not going to be shamed again.

I'm hopeful McElwain will be a great coach for us for many years. I think we all know we dont know jack about him until we get through a season or two. Thats an unsettling feeling ti have such an unproven coach at Florida again. I've always said I'm in wait and see mode.

You and I both know he can't compete in this league with a roster full of average players. I don't care if he is the second coming of Knute Rockne. He's not going to coach up 3 stars better than Bama coaches up 5 stars, and our 3 stars and all going to become 4 stars. So how's he going to fix that? Blue chips aren't going to jump aboard if we continue to go 6-6 and 7-5. You've got to get the Jimmy's and Joe's first.

BTW, I was blasted for being a pumper, and now I'm blasted for not. :rolleyes:

Good to hear the whole relative thing was off base. For the record, the pampers were blasted becauseWM could've had Brady at QB, with Rice and Moss at WR and he still would've taken at knee at midfield with :45 left in the half as long as he was up 3. Jimmies and Joes or not, he sucked.

All that said, your position is fair and you are correct. But as I've stated before, even as great as Meyer was, he hadn't accomplished any more at this point in his tenure. And we'd obviously not been as low when he took over as we were when Mac came in. A guy's ability to convince 17 year olds to make bad decisions isn't what we need. We need a coach. As Law said, we have to be patient. If this is what's our class looks like in Mid January then I'll agree. as of now, you have to trust that they know the vision. Don't forget, in Shannon's presser he talked about that vision as being a big factor in his coming here.

I'll also somewhat disagree on not knowing jack about JM. The guy took a horrendous program and made them winners. That's what we need. And it's not all that dissimilar to what Spurrier and Meyer did prior to their tenure in Gville. Hopefully he's in the same mold.

Bottom line, we're going to lose some games this year and we are going to miss on some recruits. But we had to take a shot with something different. Almost certainly a year too late. But lets give what we have a chance. I do agree, fwiw, that we shouldn't be building in excuses. I'm not convinced that we can't be an 8-9 win team and will be disappointed if we're not.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n261168 said:
But as I've stated before, even as great as Meyer was, he hadn't accomplished any more at this point in his tenure.
Sorry, but that is patently false. Creyer took a 3 win team at Bowling Green and won the MAC in his second year. Creyer then took a 4 win team at Utah, won the WAC in his second year, became the first midmajor to win a BCS game and went undefeated.

Mac went 21-16 just like Chimp, had one good year in which he failed to win even a division and lost to military school three years in a row. Mac's resume looks a lot more like Chimp's than Meyers. That's a fact.

It's also patently false that Colorado State is a horrendous program. They had one bad coach and have long been one of the beasts of the WAC. Their budget is one of the largest in their conference. Frankly, their AD knows more about winning football and writing contracts than ours does. We should consider hiring him when we fire Fooley.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Law98gator;n261173 said:
Sorry, but that is patently false. Creyer took a 3 win team at Bowling Green and won the MAC in his second year. Creyer then took a 4 win team at Utah, won the WAC in his second year, became the first midmajor to win a BCS game and went undefeated.

Mac went 21-16 just like Chimp, had one good year in which he failed to win even a division and lost to military school three years in a row. Mac's resume looks a lot more like Chimp's than Meyers. That's a fact.

It's also patently false that Colorado State is a horrendous program. They had one bad coach and have long been one of the beasts of the WAC.

First of all, context. That comparison was regarding Mac's recruiting vs Meyer's at this stage in 2005. If anything, Mac has a slight edge.

Second, I included Spurrier in the last comment. He wasn't quite as electric as UM but both made drastic improvements to their respective programs.

Third, to compare WM's disastrous handling of a team that was still very talented and just a year removed from a 13-1, to what Mac did at CSU is a joke. The Rams might not have always been down, but they were when he took over. It's not as if there was this load of talent from their recent recruiting wins, and he just needed to improve a few things. They wee awful. And to your beast comment, when Mac beat Colorado in his first chance, it was the first time since like the '70s that a coach accomplished that.

Lastly, as I've said before, you were a huge believer in WM and his ideology. Your conviction was rivaled only by your equally flawed stance that Meyer was simply propped up by assistants and would never succeed elsewhere, making UF better off without him. And don't even get me started on Brantley. Long and short, your track record of calling these things is less than stellar.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting, Sofla, because I'm pretty sure that I was among the first to suggest that the All Smurf offense would never work. And, of course, the Smurf defense wasn't any better. Yes, you guys banged on me nearly every day because I pointed out where we were headed with that Creyer era recruiting. How dare I question the direction of the program under Creyer! Kind of humorous you now try to spin it into a win. You own boy declared that he broke the program.

As for coordinators, I always said Mullen was trash to much resistance from everyone else here. Show me where I said anything else.

I also said Meyer chose well, again, with OSU at a time when Meatchicken and Pedo are on probation. Please show me where I said he wouldn't win. What I predicted was that he will quit again, because quitters quit. Pvssies will be pvssies.

Yes, I was pumping with the new regime after Creyer, but I saw through it LONG before most...even while some usually objective types thought we were on the way to championships in 2012 and were on the right track. I don't think many reasonable types would call me a Chimppumper but whatever.

I am actually quite the bandwagonner. I don't turn negative until the evidence is clear IMO. I also don't try to act like mediocrity is better than it is. I don't pump three star players and declare that they are all really 5 star guys who haven't been rated properly. I don't pump 3 star coaches either.

Back to Mac, 21-16 is 21-16. He has ALOT to prove and precious little time to do it. I fear that, even if he does have "the stuff", our Mickey Mouse cheap ass hires, again, on his coaching staff (particularly at OC, DC, WR and DBs) may well be his undoing. That's unfortunate because I don't believe any of them except Nusschamp was his real target.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n261174 said:
First of all, context. That comparison was regarding Mac's recruiting vs Meyer's at this stage in 2005. If anything, Mac has a slight edge.

Second, I included Spurrier in the last comment. He wasn't quite as electric as UM but both made drastic improvements to their respective programs.

Third, to compare WM's disastrous handling of a team that was still very talented and just a year removed from a 13-1, to what Mac did at CSU is a joke. The Rams might not have always been down, but they were when he took over. It's not as if there was this load of talent from their recent recruiting wins, and he just needed to improve a few things. They wee awful. And to your beast comment, when Mac beat Colorado in his first chance, it was the first time since like the '70s that a coach accomplished that.

Lastly, as I've said before, you were a huge believer in WM and his ideology. Your conviction was rivaled only by your equally flawed stance that Meyer was simply propped up by assistants and would never succeed elsewhere, making UF better off without him. And don't even get me started on Brantley. Long and short, your track record of calling these things is less than stellar.

:owned:

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I disagree that JM is at the same place as UM at this point in recruiting. JM has more 2-3 star commits than we've EVER had since the recruiting rankings started. And he's not done. He has time to get more. That's my problem.

I would rather we have fewer commits than all these 3 stars. If you guys think were going to do something on the field to attract higher ranked players wouldn't you want plenty of room to sign them? Instead, we only have room for about 12 more players and the season hasn't even started.

Meyer may have not gotten his big fish until late in the cycle but he didn't fill up on mediocre players first either. JM appears as though he's not confident enough in his coaching to wait and prove it like UM did. He'll take anything right now and it looks desperate.

And Shannon may be reeling in the most fish, but so far all he has are minnows. Where are the whales?

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
I think both sides present a valid argument. However, I don't think it's reasonable to judge Mac's recruiting ability based on the limited time he's had to work with and the current perception of the program. Meyer had a clear advantage in recruiting based on his previous accomplishments and popularity. Mac is an unknown; however, his success with Alabama and experience in the SEC--especially with offence--gives me some confidence that he knows what needs to be done. Remember that Alabama went 7-5 (I think) in 2007 and then undefeated in 2008 until the SEC championship. It would be interesting to research what Alabama's talent level was at that time. All I know is that they developed into a very good offensive team in a short period of time. They built a strong O-line and running game that continued to develop over the next few years. Did Mac have anything to do with that--and with recruiting those players? Because if he did then I think he deserves a vote of confidence from the Gator faithful. Time will tell.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How many times has JMac said they're barely able to practice due to lack of bodies at some positions? I think he knows exactly what he's doing. He's getting bodies. Warm, serviceable bodies so his team can hold meaningful practices. I'm sure he's fully aware how many scholarships we have left, and how many blue chip recruits are out there that may see an opportunity for playing time. If there's a 4-5 star stud out there giving UF a look, it's a little easier to get them to listen if their biggest competition is a 2-3 star depth type guy.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I have no clue how NFL teams can hold practice with only 53 man rosters. Maybe they don't.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Practice squads. And they can add free agents at will when someone gets hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.