It's time for an expanded playoff

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The biggest benefit is the extra practice bowl teams are allowed. There is a small financial benefit to the conference as well. That's a bigger deal for the non-P5 conferences than for the P5

The extra practice is nice, but the financial benefit to the smaller bowls is usually close to zero, due to the fact it is after all expenses are paid for travel etc.

I see no reason to eliminate those lesser bowls. It's win-win-win for the bowls, the teams, and their fan bases. Though an expanded playoff using the bowl system would make more of the bowl games meaningful to the masses.

The bowls are less about the actual game and the influx of cash to the area. To the actual universities fans that are playing they are nice, but like you mentioned it is negligible to the masses.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I actually think the system now is working. It is intended to get the best 2 teams matched up for a Natty Game. Honestly, I don't think we really need a playoff this year: we should just skip the first two games and let Clemson and Bama play for it.

Tell that to UCF

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The extra practice is nice, but the financial benefit to the smaller bowls is usually close to zero, due to the fact it is after all expenses are paid for travel etc.

The bowls are less about the actual game and the influx of cash to the area. To the actual universities fans that are playing they are nice, but like you mentioned it is negligible to the masses.

You could also add neutral site games if teams dropped the small games. Cities could bid like bowl games.

Think of kick-off classics when every team has a chance and the weather is better.

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Or just have less bowls. Anything with some name recognition (Peach, Cotton, even smaller ones like the Liberty and Gator) should be kept. Anything that’s just an advertiser(Taxslayer, Belk, Meineke, etc) should be dropped. Bahamas Bowl? Boca Bowl? Get real.

The problem is there’s no pride in these games because virtually anyone can make them with 12 opportunities and modern day scheduling.

Expanding the playoff is just watering down something to offset something else already being watered down. Four teams is more than enough.
While I agree there are way too many bowls, reducing them will never happen until fans stop watching on TV and buying tickets. There's way too much money involved which is why I believe we'll never see an FCS style playoff.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
While I agree there are way too many bowls, reducing them will never happen until fans stop watching on TV and buying tickets. There's way too much money involved which is why I believe we'll never see an FCS style playoff.

I’m not really advocating getting rid of bowls, although I do think the generic ones I listed are just horrendous. I’m just saying, I understand why a player who thinks he’s first or second round material doesn’t want to play in the Cafe Risqué bowl, and potentially ruin a career he’s been preparing for his whole life. And when guys make bowl games every year almost without fail, they see it as more of a nuisance than a privilege. That may change if they only went to 1-2 in their entire college career.

I also think the idea of creating a larger playoff is terrible. No one to date has been left out despite being a legit candidate for the title. Even the BCS has very few of those cases.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Right now there are maybe (huge maybe) 2 quarterbacks that have first round grades. Neither of those two have said they are sitting out their bowl game. Now Murray might be declaring for the draft, but he is in the playoff so I assume he will play.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I’m not really advocating getting rid of bowls, although I do think the generic ones I listed are just horrendous. I’m just saying, I understand why a player who thinks he’s first or second round material doesn’t want to play in the Cafe Risqué bowl, and potentially ruin a career he’s been preparing for his whole life. And when guys make bowl games every year almost without fail, they see it as more of a nuisance than a privilege. That may change if they only went to 1-2 in their entire college career.

I also think the idea of creating a larger playoff is terrible. No one to date has been left out despite being a legit candidate for the title. Even the BCS has very few of those cases.

The NFL does it
FCS and Div II do it.
Basketball and Baseball do it

I am suggesting adding 1 more week. OR how about the power 5 champs plus 3 at large proving they had played in a championship or wild card?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The NFL does it
FCS and Div II do it.

I am suggesting adding 1 more week. OR how about the power 5 champs plus 3 at large proving they had played in a championship or wild card?

how many of these have a bowl system that supplements their income? Its an apples to oranges comparison.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
how many of these have a bowl system that supplements their income? Its an apples to oranges comparison.

So now the FBS is responsible for supplementing FCS income?...Maybe they need to reconsider football or look for sponsors.

That does not fly with me. How many schools added programs? And what of the dropped programs like Wresting? Mens Volleyball, Mens Gymnastics, Soccer?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The NFL does it
FCS and Div II do it.

Why? One of the key factors in our arch rival not being in the playoffs this year is a 20 point loss at Lsu. With your suggestion, that game means nothing. How does that enhance what’s the best overall sport? It doesn’t. It simply gives some whining team a chance to play in the playoffs when they could’ve just earned it on the field in the fist 12-13 weeks.

Do you understand that this year we’d be on the bubble? As good of a season as it was, do you really think we belong in the playoff discussion? Do you think Michigan, once they finished giving a statement to SVU, or 3-loss Lsu should be in the dance? As I’ve said before, if you want to watch some mid level team catch fire late and get lucky on a few plays en route to a championship, there’s all day Sunday and Monday night for that. I want week 2 to mean something. It currently does. There’s no need to alter that.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

So now the FBS is responsible for supplementing FCS income?...Maybe they need to reconsider football or look for sponsors.

That does not fly with me. How many schools added programs? And what of the dropped programs like Wresting? Mens Volleyball, Mens Gymnastics, Soccer?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So now the FBS is responsible for supplementing FCS income?

What the hell are you saying... I'm saying FBS and FCS are different due to their structure. FCS doesn't make the money that FBS and FBS obviously by their very fcking name has a bowl income that supplements a lot of things.

...Maybe they need to reconsider football or look for sponsors.

What do you think all these bowl games basically are?

It's called economics, there is more money in football than any other sports. Athletic programs are businesses.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Why? One of the key factors in our arch rival not being in the playoffs this year is a 20 point loss at Lsu. With your suggestion, that game means nothing. How does that enhance what’s the best overall sport? It doesn’t. It simply gives some whining team a chance to play in the playoffs when they could’ve just earned it on the field in the fist 12-13 weeks.

Do you understand that this year we’d be on the bubble? As good of a season as it was, do you really think we belong in the playoff discussion? Do you think Michigan, once they finished giving a statement to SVU, or 3-loss Lsu should be in the dance? As I’ve said before, if you want to watch some mid level team catch fire late and get lucky on a few plays en route to a championship, there’s all day Sunday and Monday night for that. I want week 2 to mean something. It currently does. There’s no need to alter that.

No we would not...The Conference Champs would be in and 4 at large.

Then justify Bama being NC last year.

And will or almost anybody watch a Bowl in Shreveport or El Paso?

But how many people watch the Sweet 16?

So you just enjoy seeing ND in the play-off. And if LSU mails it in we get to hear UCF cry all year they are NC.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
What the hell are you saying... I'm saying FBS and FCS are different due to their structure. FCS doesn't make the money that FBS and FBS obviously by their very fcking name has a bowl income that supplements a lot of things.

What do you think all these bowl games basically are?

It's called economics, there is more money in football than any other sports. Athletic programs are businesses.

So we have to see some FCS team in the Swamp so they can earn cash?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No we would not...The Conference Champs would be in and 4 at large.

Then justify Bama being NC last year.

And will or almost anybody watch a Bowl in Shreveport or El Paso?

But how many people watch the Sweet 16?

So you just enjoy seeing ND in the play-off. And if LSU mails it in we get to hear UCF cry all year they are NC.

You’re right. They watch the Sweet 16. And they also casually watch much of the regular season. That’s my point and that’s what I don’t want.

As for ND, I’ve stated that while I’m not sure their one of the best, I also have nothing definitive to say they’re not. Going undefeated with a P5 schedule is hard and they earned that.

And Lsu has no reason to mail it in. They are nothing like Aub 2017. They should want to pound them. If they don’t, UCF will continue to cry and I’ll continue to ignore and not care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator