It's time for an expanded playoff

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You’re right. They watch the Sweet 16. And they also casually watch much of the regular season. That’s my point and that’s what I don’t want.

As for ND, I’ve stated that while I’m not sure their one of the best, I also have nothing definitive to say they’re not. Going undefeated with a P5 schedule is hard and they earned that.

And Lsu has no reason to mail it in. They are nothing like Aub 2017. They should want to pound them. If they don’t, UCF will continue to cry and I’ll continue to ignore and not care.

Brother, real Gator Fans will watch. And if you drop Transgender U they will watch more.

And you may not like it but it's heading to a real play-off system. Media and Money will drive it.

Mark my words...They better do something because millennials wont be watching. Its Fantasy Football that has them watching the NFL.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No we would not...The Conference Champs would be in and 4 at large.

Then justify Bama being NC last year.

Bama shouldn't have been in the tourney last year, said it last year... Just like Ohio State didn't deserve it they didn't win their conference.

And will or almost anybody watch a Bowl in Shreveport or El Paso?

the university fans and gamblers.

But how many people watch the Sweet 16?

There is a difference 16 out of over 300 teams, or 16 out of 130 teams... do you see the difference. Also what are the ratings on a Saturday of the college football regular season, compared to a Saturday of the regular season of Basketball?

So you just enjoy seeing ND in the play-off. And if LSU mails it in we get to hear UCF cry all year they are NC.

ND should be in a conference... and if LSU does mail it in we will have to hear about how they belonged. Telling us how they are a power house with 6 total conference titles in 40 years and 6 division titles. If they want to play with the big boys they need to schedule big boy games and stop buying out of the games they have on the schedule (apparently White wasn't expecting people bring up all the games they backed out of)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Brother, real Gator Fans will watch. And if you drop Transgender U they will watch more.

And you may not like it but it's heading to a real play-off system. Media and Money will drive it.

Mark my words...They better do something because millennials wont be watching. Its Fantasy Football that has them watching the NFL.

Real Gators watch now. That's the point. We keep trying to find ways to tinker with something that needs no tinkering. Going to 4, after controversial years like '00, '03, '04 and '08, I can understand. Beyond that is cheapening everything.

And as for millennials, their not watching has nothing to do with playing a cupcake early on. They didn't show up in full for Lsu or Usce either.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Real Gators watch now. That's the point. We keep trying to find ways to tinker with something that needs no tinkering. Going to 4, after controversial years like '00, '03, '04 and '08, I can understand. Beyond that is cheapening everything.

And as for millennials, their not watching has nothing to do with playing a cupcake early on. They didn't show up in full for Lsu or Usce either.

I'll say it again...I think a Power 6 makes sense. And a Top 8 play-off also makes sense.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No, it helps to eliminate playing South Central Dakota Tech, it allows for good non-conference games at home and it gets rid of The Platex Tampon Bowl.

And eliminating these will also eliminate South Central Dakota Tech’s football program. I hate those as much as anyone but let’s not forget the financial realities of college football

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
And eliminating these will also eliminate South Central Dakota Tech’s football program. I hate those as much as anyone but let’s not forget the financial realities of college football

And is that a bad thing?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Tell that to UCF

Tell UCF to start playing a major college schedule even if it requires them accept the fact that they will have to go for 2 for 1 contracts. I hate to break the news to UCF AD Danny White but UCF does NOT deserve better. Play real teams, beat real teams, get invited to join the Big 12 and then they will deserve better.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And is that a bad thing?

It is, if you are on scholarship at South Central Dakota State and unlike the power 5 schools you actually intend to get a degree. Believe it or not there’s more to college athletics than the games on TV. Back in the day we actually had student athletes and the smaller schools still do.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Tell UCF to start playing a major college schedule even if it requires them accept the fact that they will have to go for 2 for 1 contracts. I hate to break the news to UCF AD Danny White but UCF does NOT deserve better. Play real teams, beat real teams, get invited to join the Big 12 and then they will deserve better.

This is my point. I'd like 6 Power Confrences.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
It is, if you are on scholarship at South Central Dakota State and unlike the power 5 schools you actually intend to get a degree. Believe it or not there’s more to college athletics than the games on TV. Back in the day we actually had student athletes and the smaller schools still do.

Div 2 does not play FBS and they survive

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oh great, another 20-page circular argument over bowls and playoffs. I mean no offense, it's an important subject, but these discussions are about as fruitful as politics and religion. They go on and on and on and on.

I'm already on record as supporting an eight-team playoff. I like the idea Musclepug floated a few weeks ago, P5 champs and three wild cards.

The rest of you can kiss off.

Can I get a like?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Here is how you expand it to 8 teams. Go back to playing the traditional bowls. And lesser bowls. After the bowls pick the best four teams and have a playoff. Now the traditional bowls really mean something.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Here is how you expand it to 8 teams. Go back to playing the traditional bowls. And lesser bowls. After the bowls pick the best four teams and have a playoff. Now the traditional bowls really mean something.

When would the playoffs be? All of January or are moving conference championships to end of November and start bowls immediately at the first of December.

As ludicrous as it is to consider a larger playoff beyond 8 right now I say expand to 16-24. All playoff games are at most historic bowls. They can still run the others if they want or end them all together.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Really?

Tell us how it works because for the last 50+ years it's been changing almost yearly.

And please explain how the NCAA makes any business sense?

I am not trying to be ugly. The NCAA is whacked, Bowls are out of hand, the Play-off System as it is today has solved nothing.

But heck...you are right because I don't know how anyone knows how the system works.
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
64 team playoff. No less.

Let every FBS team be in the playoff.

Season starts with 7 conference games to determine conference division champions and playoff seeding. 8th game is conference championship. Starting with game 9, 128 FBS teams* begin a single elimination playoff. Losers go home, season is done. It will take 7 games to whittle it down to a championship game. That's the same 15 game maximum to get to a national championship that we see today.

*Note - there are 130 FBS teams, so the bottom 4 seeds have a play-in game the week of the conference championships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator