It's time to move on

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
The shame is, with good coaching we beat the holes tonight. Good coaching is way outside of Napier's ability to understand

Avenger48c

No Longer Cautiously Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2019
I just don’t agree with any of this. He should be fired tonight. The experiment is over.
I would be thrilled if he was, and honestly, I wouldn't have been upset if he was at the end of last season, but I think we stand a real chance of ending up in a massive talent hole if we don't reel in this class. Billy's first class was total crap and his second class wasn't any better than an average Mullen class; add in all the guys he's run off with his incompetence and we don't have the pieces to give a promising new coach, period.

Holding off on firing him until next year would be an act of long term pragmatism and I think we'd be in a better place three years from now by doing that than we would by firing him tonight, but every emotion I have wants him gone.

Billy has never been the right coach for Florida. It's been clear since his intro press conference where instead of talking about history, offense, or anything about the program, he talked about the resources we could provide. We're just a pile of money to him, which is why he doesn't care about beating our rivals or about trying to match his style to anything that's worked here before.

I don't know if a guy like Lanning, DeBoer, Meyer, or Day (if he's out at OSU) would have interest in our job as it sits, but if we can get one of those guys we should act tonight. They would probably be big enough hires to save the recruiting class. Maybe the next step is to give some agents a call and see if there's interest.

Lurker

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Rather than being fired, I'm guessing Stricklin will go the "dead man walking" route and give Napier a vote of confidence, but also demand that Napier basically overhaul all 3 phases of his coaching staff by giving up play calling duties, finally hiring a special teams coordinator, and possibly even replacing his 30-year-old defensive coordinator.

It's doubtful that any of the changes will make a difference in terms of wins and losses. But Stricklin doesn't want to admit he whiffed again on hiring a head coach. Napier has a $32 million buyout. And there is the fools gold allure of a top 3 recruiting class (see Dumbo Fisher at aTm). I fear we get to witness this train wreck at least through next year.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Yall MFers keep yapping about losing the recruiting class?????? For what?? Why do yall hate these kids so bad to **** up their career by playing for this **** stain??

Yall don't get it. Napier would coach the KC Chiefs to a double digit loss to Vanderbilt. Recruiting won't fix this. Hiring an OC won't fix this. ST coordinator won't fix this. New LB coach won't fix this.

FIRING THIS COCKSUCKER WILL FIX THIS.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I think we all respect and like Billy.

He’s a coach’s son, and he dutifully cared for his dad during his terminal illness. Seems to work his butt off in an honorable fashion. He’s even got the cheapest AD to open the wallet, so we aren’t putting players in “section 8 housing”. Recruiting is the best we’ve seen in some time. He’s doing everything right, and I’m rooting for him more than Mac, Muschamp, Mullen and even Meyer

but……

He’s an AWFUL Gameday coach. He appears to do everything right except for a few plays every week. They aren’t just small errors, they are monstrous brain farts (two players with same number, snap ball between QB legs, the double reverse after safety, etc). These aren’t just mistakes; they are abject failures.

Everything is awesome with Billy for the entire year, except for 5 minutes each Saturday when he shoots me in my top hat while I’m trying to enjoy the theater.

Can he fix it (Give up play calling, Special teams coach, etc) or is there too much hubris in this staff?

I really believe he’s a winner, if he can just stop making errors when it matters most. Unfortunately, I don’t believe his cerebral flatulence will end.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
To put it more simply and less eloquently than my dear friend dirty ….Billy just can’t coach . OL is a mess, special teams is among the worst in the country,
And the play calling is what I would
Expect from my 7 year old son….**** Billy Bob . I hope the good for nothing bastard rots in hell

Don't you ****ing dare insult your 7 year old. I am positive the kid could flip boogers on a play sheet and call a better game than this sorry sack of **** we got as a hc.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ok I decided to try and read what came after. Holy hell! He's great except for a couple plays? He's doing almost everything right? He's a winner?

My God man, seek help immediately.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would be thrilled if he was, and honestly, I wouldn't have been upset if he was at the end of last season, but I think we stand a real chance of ending up in a massive talent hole if we don't reel in this class. Billy's first class was total crap and his second class wasn't any better than an average Mullen class; add in all the guys he's run off with his incompetence and we don't have the pieces to give a promising new coach, period.

Holding off on firing him until next year would be an act of long term pragmatism and I think we'd be in a better place three years from now by doing that than we would by firing him tonight, but every emotion I have wants him gone.

Billy has never been the right coach for Florida. It's been clear since his intro press conference where instead of talking about history, offense, or anything about the program, he talked about the resources we could provide. We're just a pile of money to him, which is why he doesn't care about beating our rivals or about trying to match his style to anything that's worked here before.

I don't know if a guy like Lanning, DeBoer, Meyer, or Day (if he's out at OSU) would have interest in our job as it sits, but if we can get one of those guys we should act tonight. They would probably be big enough hires to save the recruiting class. Maybe the next step is to give some agents a call and see if there's interest.
We should be offering those guys mega bucks to come in.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
You have players doing stupid stuff left and right

Coaching

slow play portal recruitment

coaching

play calling

coaching

special Teams

well this one is not coaching

Problem is too many freshman