Jags fire Urban Meyer

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As I said... ;) Otherwise, we are to believe that the guy suspended for first three games, but finished 12-1, decided to just hang up the cleats.

But you said he was a failed Coach...

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think I’d have to see it to judge, in the context of it happening on a practice field, whether it crossed the line.

Meyer, when you get down to it, has a throwback mentality to coaching football. I’ll bet if you canvassed the sport, you’d find countless examples of player-coach confrontations that wouldn’t come close to flying in today’s hyper-sensitive workplace environment. It is what it is.

Did it warrant the kicker calling his lawyer? Puhleeze. He’s had months to ponder telling on Meyer. He didn’t. Instead, he waited until he had a huge media tailwind. He’s a putz. Non-story.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jags are using just cause and will not pay off Urbs contract

So it becomes all so clear. Kahn was ready to fire Meyer weeks ago. He simply didn’t want to pay. He needed enough just causes to bolster the case for zero comp. He now feels he has them. This’ll get mighty messy.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I liked the back and forth analysis (or psycho babble for those who disagree) above between @soflagator and @Detroitgator on Urbs’ personality. From my perspective, they both make some good points.

In my career, I worked for a ton of different folks in my chain of command and there were several along the way who were similar to Urbs. They all had a schtick that at best worked for a couple of years before they either moved on or lost everyone’s confidence. Sadly, the ones who were smart enough to know when to move one usually got to pretty high positions; and once they got there and couldn’t move on, were exposed for the frauds they were. Given that we were all adults and a cynical lot, I doubt Urbs would have lasted long as a leader in our outfit before he got called out there too.

Urbs, IMO, is not a fraud as a coach; his success speaks for itself, both as a head coach and a position coach, but he is a deeply flawed man in many ways. I do believe he has some redeeming qualities, but for whatever reason chooses not to share them with the outside world.

As for his short tenure with the Jags, I cannot for the life of me understand why he thought he could win there. The only possibility I can think of is that there’s enough to his tOSU departure that no school will touch him for a while, so, if he wanted to keep coaching, he needed to go to the pros. It tells us a great deal about his ego that he was convinced he’d be successful at something, the NFL, where he had zero experience.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It’s what almost everyone anticipated going in, that Meyer would struggle mightily with the idea of not having complete control over the players and that the NFL is a 16-game up and down grind, a matter of getting up one more time than you get knocked down. He’s not cut out.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Yup, while infinitely different, leading soldiers and leading a sports team are very, very, similar, just far different consequences
"On the fields of friendly strife are sewn the seeds that on other fields, on other days, bear the fruit of victory."

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
He reported it to the team immediately, but from this excerpt from the Tampa Bay Times, it does appear he just recently initiated contact with the media over it. Judge as you will.

“Lambo, currently a free agent, said he felt it was his obligation to come forward with his story after watching Meyer’s run-ins with players and assistant coaches in recent weeks.”

Former Jaguars kicker Josh Lambo says he was kicked by Urban Meyer during warmups

I’m like you, trying to piece it all together. One thing I feel very certain of. Josh Lambo has a brighter future engaging in pillow fights on the Bachelorette than kicking field goals in the NFL.

RISWKHUSQBBZLAOSJOFCAREG5A.jpg

Obviously Meyer got in his head, cause Lambo missed a bunch of kicks early in the year, then was cut.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone have any idea how all of this might affect him joining the ring of honor? If the allegations are true does this prevent him?

Urban meets the criteria for entrance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.