Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
grengadgy;n124062 said:
Fla Field = 90,010

Memorial/Osborne Field = 81,067

For the love of Pete, your avatar is horrifying.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Law98gator;n124178 said:
No, we won't. We'll be playing God knows who on the offensive line and will get blasted.

Believe it or not, this was the "good" year for Chimp's OL.

I'll make you a friendly wager we win :-)

$100 to either's favorite charity.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Buying a domain costs like $30.

I'm buying dcismybitch.com and wobbleisadawg.com.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
According to The Coloradoan ...

Jim McElwain's gone.

There's really no way for the CSU football coach to turn back now.

Not after spending the past few days negotiating with Florida about becoming the Southeastern Conference school's new coach.

The sticking point is the $7.5 million buyout in the five-year extension McElwain signed in June. A clause that former athletic director Jack Graham insisted upon in exchange for the $1.5 million a year in salary, with bonuses that could push the total to $2.75 million, to prevent Florida or any other school from poaching Colorado State University's coach.

CSU President Tony Frank, sources said, has no plans to reduce the buyout penalty, and Florida reportedly isn't willing to pay the buyout for McElwain. At least not the full amount.

So where do we go from here?

That's a good question.

McElwain is too far out the door to come back and continue to coach the Rams. So if Florida backs away from the coach because of the buyout fee, CSU is left with a coach who obviously would rather be somewhere else. He doesn't have just one foot out the door; it's both feet and one arm at this point. That's not who you want running your football program, especially not in the two months between now and national signing day.

Nebraska also has its eyes on the Rams' third-year coach, and Michigan might want to take a look at hiring him, too. If he's still around after they've hired their coaches, other schools are going to be knocking on McElwain's door.

He's a hot commodity right now. Hotter now than when CSU hired him away from Nick Saban's Alabama program in 2011, while the Crimson Tide was winning its second national title in McElwain's four years as its offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

He's gone 21-16 in three seasons at CSU, including a 10-2 mark this year. The Rams won nine games in a row and were in the hunt for a Mountain West title, berth in a major bowl game and spent three weeks in the top 25 before falling out this week after a loss Friday at Air Force in the regular-season finale.

He's obviously a good coach. Maybe even a great coach.

And nobody can really blame him for wanting to coach at an SEC school that not only has the ability to win a national championship but actually has won three -- in 1996 and 2006 and 2008.

The gap between the five power conferences and the other five conferences playing football at the NCAA's highest level is growing wider every day, and there's not much CSU or the Mountain West can do to slow it down. They don't have the kind of television contracts that have allowed the five power conferences to flex their financial muscle, and there's not enough demand to televise their games to change that anytime soon.

So whether it takes a few more hours or a few more days, or even the next suitor or two that comes along, McElwain's gone.

He has to be.

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/spor...-csu/19869495/

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n124232]According to The Coloradoan ...

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/spor...-csu/19869495/[/QUOTE]

This is why I believe in my heart Foley didn't mind giving the Coloradoan reporter a quote, why he stood around for pics, surveyed the view outside McElwain's house. He wanted it to be known JMac was negotiating for a new job. Let's say CSU and JMac can't negotiate the # down to satisfy the Gators. JMac shrugs and sez "OK. Back to work". Riiight.

Foley made the right move. Told Jmac: Take care of your buyout negotiations; call me when it gets reasonable. I have a plane to catch.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mainland_Buc_75;n124200 said:
I'll make you a friendly wager we win :-)

$100 to either's favorite charity.
I thought about taking it, but I just don't bet against my team. Normally I don't even say we'll lose (particularly against rivals), and I wish I had stuck with that. I normally just pick a number of wins or losses.

You'll just have to live with rubbing my face in it if I'm wrong. (And I'd love to be wrong.)

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I got an idea. Why don't we just cancel one of our sports that loses money for a few years to afford the buyout ? I mean if UAB just cancelled their football program because it losses 20M a year we could probably cancel 2 or 3 of the women sports and justify it to pay off the 7.5M:dunno:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mainland_Buc_75;124256 said:
This is why I believe in my heart Foley didn't mind giving the Coloradoan reporter a quote, why he stood around for pics, surveyed the view outside McElwain's house. He wanted it to be known JMac was negotiating for a new job. Let's say CSU and JMac can't negotiate the # down to satisfy the Gators. He shrugs and sez "OK. Back to work". Riiight.

Foley made the right move. Told Jmac: Take care of your buyout negotiations; call me when it gets reasonable. I have a plane to catch.

I agree 100%. If the buyout can't be broken it makes CSU look like they're being unreasonable and holding him hostage and Foley can continue to look at other candidates. If they acquiesce then Foley gets what he wants.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I'm not a Foley fan, but I think what he's doing is in fact great. He clearly wants McElwain, he made it easy to track him so the press was waiting for him when he got there. He left without McElwain. All attention has turned to CSU and the heat is now being turned way up on them to buckle on the buyout. If they won't budge, Foley can move on and say its their fault, not his.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n124263 said:
I got an idea. Why don't we just cancel one of our sports that loses money for a few years to afford the buyout ? I mean if UAB just cancelled their football program because it losses 20M a year we could probably cancel 2 or 3 of the women sports and justify it to pay off the 7.5M:dunno:

Chock full of good ideas, this guy.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Law98gator;n124260 said:
I thought about taking it, but I just don't bet against my team. Normally I don't even say we'll lose (particularly against rivals), and I wish I had stuck with that. I normally just pick a number of wins or losses.

You'll just have to live with rubbing my face in it if I'm wrong. (And I'd love to be wrong.)

I can live with that. Though the charity thing makes it for a good cause. Let me know if you change your mind. I watched the Arkansas game. I'm not scared of Ole Missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.