Jim McElwain expected to accept Florida head coaching job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mainland_Buc_75;n124346 said:
I know better. You have no angst with this hire?

I have some. But take a good look around at who is legitimately available for us to hire. Personally, I want Stoops. But he's already told us to go pound sand twice before. If he's a possibility I say let's pull out the checkbook and go get him. But he doesn't look to be interested in coming. My second choice would be Chip Kelly. But seriously, what are the odds he'd leave in the middle of a NFL divisional title race to come on down to Gainesville. It aint happening. We're delusional to think we're gonna pull him or Harbaugh, a guy who played for the Super Bowl last year (esp. now that Michigan has opened). What are the realistic odds we get a "successful" NFL guy?

So we have our pipe dream candidates that Foley naturally has to call. I mean, you gotta make the call but they're not coming. I'd love to be wrong! So after that, who are you left with? I wouldn't mind Freeze but he's not interested. I saw JM mentioned in a early article as someone who should be considered and it intrigued me. He looks to be a promising candidate. Success in the SEC, offensive minded, head coaching experience at a mid major, took team that went 3-9 for three years in a row and made them 10-2 in three seasons. His 2009 offense completely dismantled our #1 defense in the SECCG and then his offense just wiped the field with our D in 2010 & 2011. I'm open to the hire. I think it might turn out to be a really good one. Unless a pipe dream guy wants the job, JM seems like a viable candidate.

Is there anybody out there that I'm missing that's better that we have a realistic shot at getting? Rich Rod is rocking out in Arizona. But if his team beats Oregon in the Pac championship game he's got an outside shot at getting into the playoffs. Could we lure him away? Maybe. But then again, with some of his other NCAA issues would Foley want him? Same could be said for Kelly.

Angaza

Aug 11, 2014
OcalaGator83;n124266 said:
I'm not a Foley fan, but I think what he's doing is in fact great. He clearly wants McElwain, he made it easy to track him so the press was waiting for him when he got there. He left without McElwain. All attention has turned to CSU and the heat is now being turned way up on them to buckle on the buyout. If they won't budge, Foley can move on and say its their fault, not his.
No CSU doesn't look bad. This is their contract and they established the buyout for a purpose. The school also needs money to build a stadium.

Florida looks bad in this. One of the most profitable (top 5) programs in football is unwilling to pay $7mil for a coach they visited and vetted. We already look bad with the strew of articles recently about our facilities. Florida stands to lose a lot more in this standoff than CSU. McElwain was the top coaching candidate and money, OF ALL THINGS, is standing in the way.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Angaza;n124348 said:
No CSU doesn't look bad. This is their contract and they established the buyout for a purpose. The school also needs money to build a stadium.

Florida looks bad in this. One of the most profitable (top 5) programs in football is unwilling to pay $7mil for a coach they visited and vetted. We already look bad with the strew of articles recently about our facilities. Florida stands to lose a lot more in this standoff than CSU. McElwain was the top coaching candidate and money, OF ALL THINGS, is standing in the way.

Get educated. The stadium movement has already failed and the AD hired solely for the purpose of getting donors has been fired by the president of CSU who went back on his word regarding the buyout in front of witnesses during the contract signing. CSU will reduce the buyout.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Angaza;n124348 said:

This guy gets it. Wish more around here did as well.

RomanGator

Dec 1, 2014
Dear NV,
If this falls through, I really believe we may be headed back to the "Golden Era" of Fla football, look it up, between 1929 and the signing of Woodruff.. I hope I m wrong, but this should have been done by now.
Bayergator

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mainland_Buc_75;n124351 said:
CSU will reduce the buyout.

"At this point, any potential deal is on hold until there's some sort of resolution with the buyout issue," a source said.
If Colorado State president Tony Frank doesn't agree to a lower buyout, Florida officials are "pessimistic" the deal will get done, sources said.
Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley and UF administrators flew to Fort Collins on Tuesday under the impression that there were provisions in McElwain's contract that would allow him to leave for a lower buyout.
However, Frank -- the only individual who's allowed to reduce the buyout -- refuses to accept anything less than the $7.5 million amount, sources said.
Florida targeted McElwain to replace Will Muschamp after Foley was led to believe the buyout could be reduced, sources said.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well what I took from the article is that CSU is going to have some bad pub on its hands. I see them with no option other than to reduce the buyout. I am sure McElwain is displeased with how this is taking place. It also looks like Tony Frank, the president of CSU could wind up being the bad guy in this situation. If he does not lower the b/o he will have a pissed off coach or what coach will want to go to CSU with a control freak running the show after firing the AD??? Not stable situation there. Perhaps Mr. Frank is willing to see if someone comes in with a $7.5M check too. Don't think it will be a good idea using JM as a bidding piece on a buyout from a university president. JM has to know by now that although the $$$ may be good, its got to be a great fit. And I'm sure if they agreed to work with him on the buyout and they're not budging...hate to say it, but they already have pissed off JM.

Angaza

Aug 11, 2014
Mainland_Buc_75;n124351 said:
Get educated. The stadium movement has already failed and the AD hired solely for the purpose of getting donors has been fired by the president of CSU who went back on his word regarding the buyout in front of witnesses during the contract signing. CSU will reduce the buyout.
That does not preclude them for still trying to raise funds to build one. And the desire is still there.

No one cares about a spoken addendum to the contract. It should have been put in writing. The contract on pg.10 only states 'in extenuating circumstances' will the buyout be reduced and it is at the discretion of the University president. And who besides Florida fans thinks the CSU AD looks bad and not Florida? Press and everyone else: Big bad Florida bullies non P5 school to reduce buyout to hire their coach.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bad language put in that contract and JM and his agent need their heads examined for this. But one thing.....I do think that JM cares about that spoken adendum. And yest a hop to UF > than CSU. And "extenuating circumstatnces" is all in the interpretation with the attorneys. But JM now knows what he is dealing with in a President. Not only does JM care he is more than likely frustrated. That in all does not bode well for CSU forcing the HBC's hand contract or not. But again looks to be a bad deal in the writing of his contract.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
williston_gator;n124284 said:
Classic bait and switch. He made everything so visible to get Nebraska and Michigan sniffing around while he left to go talk to his real guy he wants. That's why the flight paths are blocked now.

Am I doing this right?

Sounds right to me. ;)

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Alagator;n124347 said:
I have some. But take a good look around at who is legitimately available for us to hire. Personally, I want Stoops. But he's already told us to go pound sand twice before. If he's a possibility I say let's pull out the checkbook and go get him. But he doesn't look to be interested in coming. My second choice would be Chip Kelly. But seriously, what are the odds he'd leave in the middle of a NFL divisional title race to come on down to Gainesville. It aint happening. We're delusional to think we're gonna pull him or Harbaugh, a guy who played for the Super Bowl last year (esp. now that Michigan has opened). What are the realistic odds we get a "successful" NFL guy?

So we have our pipe dream candidates that Foley naturally has to call. I mean, you gotta make the call but they're not coming. I'd love to be wrong! So after that, who are you left with? I wouldn't mind Freeze but he's not interested. I saw JM mentioned in a early article as someone who should be considered and it intrigued me. He looks to be a promising candidate. Success in the SEC, offensive minded, head coaching experience at a mid major, took team that went 3-9 for three years in a row and made them 10-2 in three seasons. His 2009 offense completely dismantled our #1 defense in the SECCG and then his offense just wiped the field with our D in 2010 & 2011. I'm open to the hire. I think it might turn out to be a really good one. Unless a pipe dream guy wants the job, JM seems like a viable candidate.

Is there anybody out there that I'm missing that's better that we have a realistic shot at getting? Rich Rod is rocking out in Arizona. But if his team beats Oregon in the Pac championship game he's got an outside shot at getting into the playoffs. Could we lure him away? Maybe. But then again, with some of his other NCAA issues would Foley want him? Same could be said for Kelly.

I agree with most of this except the part about Rich Rod. Don't want any part of that because he seems to always lack a defense. I think we might need someone with dare I say a more conservative approach at least in the beginning. I'm hoping that we still have an ace up our sleeve(Stoops) as I've heard but I'm beginning to lose a little confidence in Foley. We might need to bite the bullet and go all in for McElwain.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member

Sock it to me. sock it to me, sock it to me!

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n124388 said:
Whispers that today is the day.

I considered that the untracking of the planes may be leading up to it. Out to fetch him.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n124303 said:
You should have watched the Trailerbama and Cowbell game.

And, we won't have a single kid next year who could play on Arky's line.

Ole Miss has no QB or RB next year. Their offense will be terrible.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n124354 said:
This guy gets it. Wish more around here did as well.

Do you just come here to complain about the posters on this board?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why so many posters attacking each other? It makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.